1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2018 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick_S, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Would this be a good version
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN200505100.shtml

Or the ESPN page
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap/_/id/250510116
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=250510116

Osato likes this.
  2. Osato

Osato Producer

Thanks! I was able to find several this evening.
    There were 2 games that espn had listed but no game recap which is strange. Also I will put in the exact date in google and sometimes I get 1-2 days / games later showing in the search. Very odd.

1999 and before I’m out of luck for summaries.

June 21, 2003 Twins and brewers is one game that I cannot find a recap.
    The other is 2003 July 7 Phillies and Mets.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=230710121

I did find a Newsday recap for that game. No luck on the Twins brewers game however.

I have quite a few more from 2006 on...

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Not...good. And, unnecessary.

[​IMG]

5. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Agree with you Mike. Leave the tinkering alone.
    We don't need 7 inning DH's or 10 run mercy rules or Softball/HS extra innings rules.
    5 OF, 6 infielders -- 7 people on the left side of 2nd base -- I don;t care. That will fix itself over time.

Instant Replay was a decent idea, but poorly implemented and it has to be fixed -- if it can't be determined in 30 seconds that an egregious mistake has been made then it wasn't a mistake.

The only real thing that needs to be done is to arrest/remove for the 1st offense all the fans doing the non-stop Rick Flair "Woo" for 6 hours. 2nd offense involved castration and removing vocal cords of morons who can't control themselves
    I don't know when this started (I've heard Pittsburgh or Cincinnati), but like the 'You da man" and "In the Hole" and "Dilly Dilly" stupidity at golf tournaments it has gotten
    completely out of control. I can't even listen to the radio game or watch on TV anymore without wanting to commit atrocities.
    I can't imagine what it's like to sit in the stadium for hours with these cretins night after night.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And for goodness' sake, David. It's BONUS (and more exciting) BASEBALL! Who feels the needs to take away a better value for the customer?

Best way to speed up the game is to figure out a way to keep the pitchers on the rubber and pitching...and to keep batters in the batter's box and hitting. That's where the big slowdown is taking place. I'd hate to think we'd have to commit to some artificial device (a clock...) to keep the players on point. But this nonsense about walking around the mount between every pitch or backing our of the box whenever you want has got to stop!

A decent idea--in THEORY--but there's no way that it can work. We've seen calls overturned that shouldn't have been overturned. And vice-versa. It's infallibility is built right into the rule itself. "If there is no incontrovertible evidence to overturn the call on the field, the call on the field stands." So if instant replay isn't going to always get the call right, why bother? Let the umpires do what umpires have done for years and get most calls right and get some wrong.

Do they still have the drummer in Cleveland?!? :eek:

Oh. And anyone caught with thundersticks (and even various team towels) should probably be tried, convicted and sentenced to amputation. Wanna enjoy the game? Drink some beer, cheer your players and keep score!

And I'm a little concerned when I read that MLB officials are looking into a uniform DH rule. I know that not too many people anymore have a problem with the DH...but I really would like to see pitchers hit in the AL again and, in general, would like to see pitchers be forced (by their managers and teams) to pitch longer outings (both starters and relievers).

Commissioner Frezon out. :D

7. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Hey -- I stayed at an A-ball level minor league game for 19 innings with my oldest son who was maybe 10-11 at the time (no man on 2nd base rule then either), through 2 rain events (never bad enough to delay the game) and left at 1am. One of the best nights ever. I love bonus Baseball. I will admit to leaving the 13th inning of a Saturday afternoon Major League game with 2 miserable wives (just one of them mine), and 4 grumpy kids -- admittedly is was at least 105 degrees 85% Humidity, and we were sitting in the unrelenting sun in Atlanta in July.

Kind of funny -- my initial draft of the post had a longer rant about game speed. Calling the 1950's strike zone, once a pitcher is on the rubber that's it, once the batter in in the box he has to stay in the batter's box, and it's the pitcher who decides when the pitch is initiated, 90 seconds between innings, no more Mike Hargrove, Nomar and Derek Jeter rain delay's of AB's (what the heck is wrong with batting gloves that they have to be adjusted 3-4 times between every pitch). Bob Gibson and Don Drysdale would sure have taken care of those hitters who weren't ready or stepped out and called time when the pitcher was winding up. I would almost like to add a one pitching change per inning rule barring injury, but that starts getting into changing the old rules though. I think I would be OK with max 10 man pitching staff on the active roster.

I'd be perfectly happy with no DH at all.

Anybody HBP by a ball that's between the inner line of the batter's box and the edge of Home Plate is called out -- I swear twice a week I see a HBP on what should be a called strike.

Add a couple NBA rules -- leaving the bench or leaving the Bullpen for a "measuring contest brawl" is ejected immediately and has a 5 game suspension without pay. If the hitter has a beef with a pitcher, then they can work it out between the P/C/Batter (4th man in joins the Suspension). A teammate the next inning/week/month take care of it if he thinks it's needed.

The Cleveland Drummer I can handle if worse comes to worse.

Osato likes this.
  8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Wanna be my assistant commish?!? :D

I likes the way yoo think! :laugh:

The thing is...all the stuff we're talking about is common sense...and obvious. It's like the commissioner's office now needs to do everything by "committee" (involving the owners and player's union) and scared to death of offending anyone. The commissioner has the bully pulpit and needs to know how to use it and wield his power.

9. Osato

Osato Producer

10. Eve Babcock

Eve Babcock Stunt Coordinator

Eve Babcock
    Oh yes!! Wishing for the same thing too. Love it.

11. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Certainly. I've been told by many people I'm good at being as ass.

manager and I've certainly gotten years of experience

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Here's a riddle for Commissioner Frezon. How do you win a baseball game with no hits or walks?

Answer: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/08/winning-ugly.php

I guess my question is this: what's wrong with a game ending with a tie score? Teams play sufficient games that the standings wouldn't get messed up.

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Phillies minor league team did that.

A team could actually win a perfect game in the minors.

14. Osato

Osato Producer

Enjoying the baseball season.
    I am amazed at how good Jacob deGrom has been this season. The wins aren’t there but he is amazing. I saw him pitch in Atlanta in June. He allowed 1 run and was dominant. It just wasn’t enough and the he Mets lost 2-0.
    Great to see him win today versus the Reds.
    It will be interesting to see how the NL Cy You g vote goes. Max has the wins of course and a few more strikeouts too.

I’m pulling for the Braves this season as well.
    It was fun seeing Albies and Acuna play at AAA last year.

I’m pulling for Oakland too.
    It would also be fun to see Boston break Seattle’s win record.

So even if the Mets are awful overall it’s baseball and there is fun things to watch and follow.

Mike Frezon likes this.
  15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The minor league stuff is dumb and antithetical to the game of baseball.

Games don't end in ties because...it's not in the rules of baseball. There was a tie several years ago in an All-Star game (that was mismanaged) and it was...not...right.

There have been other tie games in baseball. Mostly before the advent of field lights in baseball parks. Also due to weather and traveling restrictions. When you've got a sport which dates back to the beginning of the 20th century, you can only imagine that getting from city to city was not as quick/easy as it is today. :D

But the spirit of baseball's rules are that games go to extra innings (when tied after regulation) to determine a winner.

16. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
  17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

:thumbsup: And ran to first base every time (even when walked).

When I was a kid, I used to hate Rose. I always thought he was showing off. Now I'm 180-degrees on him and think he was hustling every second he was on the field and wish that all the show-offs these days would learn from his example.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I don't understand why games have to be so long to begin with. If a game is "official" after 5 innings, what's the point of playing 9?

19. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Oh yeah.
    I hated him as a kid back then.
    Thought he was a showboat.

But when word came about that there was a chance the Phillies might sign him I was thrilled.

He was the perfect example of hate him on you team, love him if he’s on mine.

20. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    This question is baffling.

Do you watch any sports?