What's new

2018 At The Boxoffice (2 Viewers)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...I rally don't want to be sitting here a year from now talking about another one of the historic Hollywood studios being bought up by one of their peers. Just saying.
MGM being absorbed by Sony or Warner Bros. would be welcome, since it's been on life support for 50 years now.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
A Quiet Place is going to wind up with about $175 million domestic. With a $17 million production budget, It will be one of the most profitable films in a long time.

"Get Out" beats it easily in the "profitability" domain - about the same US take with a $4.5 million budget! :eek:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
"Get Out" beats it easily in the "profitability" domain - about the same US take with a $4.5 million budget! :eek:
Which is why I said “one of” the most profitable films.

In the end I think A Quiet Place will surpass Get Out in world wide gross and overall profitability.

Plus I think it’s the better film. :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought it was sorted a few months back that The Greatest Showman was the most profitable film that ever was, or ever will be, in the history of filmdom?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was sorted a few months back that The Greatest Showman was the most profitable film that ever was, or ever will be, in the history of filmdom?
I don’t think profitability was ever the main discussion but rather TGS’s incredible legs and multiplier vs it’s opening weekend.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $173,296,519 40.8%
+ Foreign: $251,461,951 59.2%
= Worldwide: $424,758,470

Vs an $84 million production budget it still did pretty well though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
MGM being absorbed by Sony or Warner Bros. would be welcome

Well, in my post you quoted I was more worried about someone coming for Paramount eventually due to the string of flops they've had recently not putting them on the most solid footing right now.

Although I'm excited that Marvel will get the X-Men back, and Star Wars will all be under one roof, it's sort of a sad ending to Fox's remarkable legacy that they're just going to be folded into Disney. I'm not sure that those two benefits are enough to outweigh the inherent negatives of losing a major studio and having it become, best-case scenario, a brand name in Disney's portfolio.

I also think MGM losing its independence would be sad.

I thought it was sorted a few months back that The Greatest Showman was the most profitable film

Do you remember where you saw that reported? I didn't see that stat. Box Office Mojo reports its production budget at $84 million, and it has grossed $424 million worldwide. While I'm sure that that's profitable, it doesn't beat the return-on-investment of something like Get Out, which made $255 million worldwide but only cost $4.5 million to make, and probably had a smaller marketing budget than Greatest Showman too.

This is not to diminish Greatest Showman's achievements, but as Tino noted while I was in the process of writing this message, the remarkable thing about Greatest Shwman's performance is that its opening weekend result was terrible, and everybody thought it was a bomb, but then it just kept going thanks to word-of-mouth and legs and turned that narrative around.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Do you remember where you saw that reported? I didn't see that stat. Box Office Mojo reports its production budget at $84 million, and it has grossed $424 million worldwide. While I'm sure that that's profitable, it doesn't beat the return-on-investment of something like Get Out, which made $255 million worldwide but only cost $4.5 million to make, and probably had a smaller marketing budget than Greatest Showman too.

This is not to diminish Greatest Showman's achievements, but as Tino noted while I was in the process of writing this message, the remarkable thing about Greatest Shwman's performance is that its opening weekend result was terrible, and everybody thought it was a bomb, but then it just kept going thanks to word-of-mouth and legs and turned that narrative around.
It was a joke, that has apparently gone over everyone's head.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
For the record, I tried watching THE GREATEST SHOWMAN on an overseas flight recently and couldn't get past the first three minutes. That shrill opening number was like chalk screeching on a blackboard to me. Is the whole film like that? I had horrible flashbacks to Baz Luhrmann's MOULIN ROUGE.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
For the record, I tried watching THE GREATEST SHOWMAN on an overseas flight recently and couldn't get past the first three minutes. That shrill opening number was like chalk screeching on a blackboard to me. Is the whole film like that? I had horrible flashbacks to Baz Luhrmann's MOULIN ROUGE.

Is the whole film like that? The first three minutes aren’t even like that! :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Vic. Just curious. Do you ever see films in a movie theater? It seems as tho you watch mostly on planes or Pan and scan cable. I think I remember you disliking Gravity after seeing it fi the first time pan and scan on a 13” TV. Do you think watching these type grand epic films this way affects your enjoyment of these films?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you. I watched the whole thing, and while I won't say anything negative about the performances, or production value....I disliked every minute of it. It was a struggle to get to the end. Some movies just don't work for me, even if I recognize their appeal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with you. I watched the whole thing, and while I won't say anything negative about the performances, or production value....I disliked every minute of it. It was a struggle to get to the end. Some movies just don't work for me, even if I recognize their appeal.
That's probably true for just about all of us. I'm sure there are some films that you and Vic love that probably doesn't float my boat at all. It's the nature of subjective film appreciation. It happens in just about every art form.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For what it's worth - I saw TGS in theaters and I was really underwhelmed by the opening number. And then it seemed that each song that followed was better than the opening number. So here's at least one voice to say that I thought the opening song was one of the weaker ones in the film.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
For what it's worth - I saw TGS in theaters and I was really underwhelmed by the opening number. And then it seemed that each song that followed was better than the opening number. So here's at least one voice to say that I thought the opening song was one of the weaker ones in the film.

Thanks, Josh. If it comes on cable, I'll mute the opening number and see how I fare with the rest of it.

Users who are viewing this thread