1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Yamaha Receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert Crawford, May 2, 2017.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It looks like you'll need an external amp if you want 7.1.4 channels for Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, as even the flagship 3070 has only 9 built-in amps. I believe Denon's flagship has built-in amps for all 11 channels.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Scott, if you read the linked HTF article, you will see that I replied to it with that same factoid.

4. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    Im hoping for a CX5200 later in the year, Im planning a preamp upgrade for one that can deal with Dolby Vision.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I see that now, Robert. One thing that is confusing, though, is whether you would need to connect both subs to the same input. From the article, it says
    So, how can it have two subwoofer outputs for 9.2 or 11.2 channels but only one with 7.1.4? It would have to be 7.2.4, wouldn't it? The second sub output doesn't just disappear.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Chances are I won't buy this model anyhow. I'm definitely waiting on other manufacturers to see their lineups.

7. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    Well, CX5100 stays the preamp for another year, and the 2016 models are getting the Dolby Vision update, I pulled the trigger on a new A3060 Ill use as a preamp. Great deals right now since the 3070 is due in July. I'm over D&m products for awhile due to their nickel and diming of customers lately even on their flagship models. Will be my first ever Yamaha.

I know YPAO is generally considered not as good as XT32, but we shall see. They have a nice PEQ and it goes down to 15hz now, so if anything I can have my calibrator manually cal my system in August with REW, so no worries. After a lot of research, Yamaha is impressive in build quality, parts used, and they are the most reliable audio brand out there.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    With me wanting a 7.2.4 set up, I'm seriously looking to pair a Yamaha 3060 with an Outlaw 7140 amp. I'm thinking of having the Outlaw drive my initial 7 speakers while having the Yamaha 3060 handle 4 Dolby Atmos speakers.

9. gadgtfreek

Supporter

Jason
    A3060 is convenient with the dual sub outs, and how it calibrates each sub independently.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, it's ordered and I'll have it on Thursday.

11. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I have an older Yamaha RX-V793 and the audio level now flutters up and down with static whether I'm listening through headphones or speakers. And it isn't tied to any input in back, which I've all sprayed with electronic contact cleaner. At times its steady, but then will cut in at higher volume. Tried spraying under the volume control, as well.

No repair shops locally work on these anymore, and I don't think I'd want to sink a bunch of money into this receiver since I only use it for my turntable and CD recorder, but if anyone has an idea how to stabilize the audio level from fluctuating, I'd appreciate it.