What's new

2017 MLB Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Season starts tomorrow.

First time in my life that the Cubs are the defending Champions!

No National League team has repeated since the 76 Reds so the Cubs have a lot of history to overcome.

Go Cubs Go!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
God, I hope not!:) As a Yankee fan I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Yankee Baby Bombers make their way to the big leagues. Another WS run is coming soon in the next 2-3 years.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I was shocked to hear the other day that the Yankees have the second-highest payroll in MLB. It doesn't seem possible, with all those young kids on the roster!

On another note, once the Red Sox bullpen gets healthy, they will be tough to beat.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I was shocked to hear the other day that the Yankees have the second-highest payroll in MLB. It doesn't seem possible, with all those young kids on the roster!

On another note, once the Red Sox bullpen gets healthy, they will be tough to beat.
Actually, it's the third highest payroll as the Dodgers and I believe the Tigers have higher payrolls. Arod's contract is still on the books. I expect them to get below the luxury tax threshold by the start of next year. It will just be for one season, but it resets the luxury tax penalty for them and will save them several million dollars.

Last edited:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ah, forgot about A-Rod. Lucky him. :)

The 3-year luxury tax reset is why the Red Sox traded Buchholz and didn't splurge on a new DH this season.

Mike Frezon

Premium
The Commissioner Wants to put Limits on Use of Bullpens

This just doesn't make sense. There are already limits on the number of players on a roster. The manager should be able to use his roster during a game as needed.

Maybe they should look at footage of games from the sixties to see what's different between games then and now. (One big difference: the amount of time taken between half-innings.) Another big difference is the amount of time taken between pitches (pitchers and batters both to blame).

Practically as soon as the batter is in the box, Gibson goes into his windup. The game moved a lot faster back then.

You don't need to screw with the rules of the game to pick up its pace. Ironically, one of the biggest (and worst, IMO) rules changes of late--replay--is a contributor to slowing down the game. So they are talking one game and actually playing another.

The opening game of this season (Yankees/Rays) had two calls for replays on plays at first base. Both, admittedly, were as close as they could be. Bang/bang. Neither overturned. Just a slogging start to the '17 season.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Let's go Mets!
3 bombs by cespedes tonight in Philly!
Bottom 9 Mets 14 Phillies 4!

Mike Frezon

Premium
I agree, make the batter bat and the pitcher pitch without all that crap they do between pitches.

Honestly. You look at some of those old clips, the batters rarely leave the batter's box. Once they're set, they tend to stay there with the bat on their shoulder. Think of all that stupid shit that David Ortiz used to do between each and every pitch. Maddening. And the pitcher gets the ball, heads to the rubber and goes into his windup.

I don't know how you address it. They've tried clocks and such (without much success, I guess). Changing any culture in a particular direction ain't an easy thing to do. But THAT'S how you'd get the average game closer to two hours rather than three hours.

There are so many ways the game has changed now. Little things that add seconds each time they happen. For example, each time a pitch hits the ground, the catcher tosses it to the dugout and gets a fresh ball from the umpire. Why? Because the pitcher needs a pristine unused ball on each pitch?? Please.

Also, let's say the batter dribbles a foul groundball down the third base line. What happens now? The third base coach fields the ball and tosses it into the stands. Souvenir! The ump gives the catcher a new ball and waits for the ball boy to run a new set of baseballs out to him. The catcher throws the new ball to the pitcher who will likely walk around the mound before heading to the rubber. What used to happen? The coach would actually field the ball and then quickly toss it to the pitcher (on the opposing team! Gasp!) who would then head to the rubber and pitch to the batter.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Think of all that stupid shit that David Ortiz used to do between each and every pitch.
Just like all the stupid shit Dustin Pedroia does now. I can't stand him.

Umpires need to stop granting all these stupid timeouts to players. The only timeout on the field should be if a player is injured.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I agree that the idea of Commissioner imposed limits on bullpen use is beyond ridiculous! In my opinion, it violates the basic tenet of the game regarding player substitutions. In short, I believe a manager's right to substitute any player at any stage of the game, ought to remain sacrosanct! The provision of a substituted player not being able to return to the lineup for the remainder of the game in progress ought to be sufficient. As has been well pointed out in above posts, there are about a hundred other options the Commissioner would be better to explore (I do side with the 2 replay challenges per team per game remaining in place, however!) than the many months supposedly spent discussing limiting the Bullpen use! Just how would such a rule potentially work, anyway? For instance, would the starting pitcher have to remain in the game until say, the 7th inning, even if he's getting shelled, or worse, possibly aggravating an injury because he has to stay in the game for x number of innings, according to the new rules? I'm just pointing out the utter absurdity of this proposal!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I LIKE watching replays. Usually the play was close enough that it's interesting to look at it from different angles and try to figure out how I'd make the call.

Keep the replays, let the managers manage their own bullpens, and ENFORCE a play clock.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Loving the free daily game on yahoo MLB!!!
White sox and Indians right now.
No ads which is kind of cool too!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100