What's new

2017 iPhone 8/8+ anticipation and rumors thread =) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm ready to pre-order new phones if I like what they're selling :)

I realized that I want the new camera for holidays, so I'll buy this Fall rather than waiting until 2018.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A friend suggested something that I hope he's wrong about. I was very dissapointed with Apple not making a silicone case for the new iPad Pros. So he's speculating Apple may not make a case for the new iPhone X/Pro/8. My guess is they will if they went so far as to warn users that if you buy the jet black, that they should consider a case to prevent scratches.

Of course if the new phone is glass on the back, maybe it's no longer an issue. I'm going to pay $1200.00 for an iPhone and I hope Apple provides a thin snap on case!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Holy moly Mary mother of whatever!

Ha, ha! I meant if the iPhone 8 will be in that price range, I'd like it to have protection options from Apple.

It will be interesting to see how the Face ID works out. I've come to really like using Apple Pay, for example the cafeterias at work accept Apple Pay. I use it there whenever I go there, and at the gas station and grocery store. Will I have to hold the phone to the sensor when I pay, and then hold it so it sees my face? Or maybe once it's unlocked by Face ID, the Apple Pay feature just works without additional ID verification.

It will also be interesting to see how Face ID impacts competitors. My good friend has a new Google phone and I noticed the fingerprint button in back. I didn't ask him about it because we have a fundamental difference in allegiances to operating systems. :) So I'll be interested in seeing how this Face ID technology works out, will it either be copied or dismissed.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Ha, ha! I meant if the iPhone 8 will be in that price range, I'd like it to have protection options from Apple.

It will be interesting to see how the Face ID works out. I've come to really like using Apple Pay, for example the cafeterias at work accept Apple Pay. I use it there whenever I go there, and at the gas station and grocery store. Will I have to hold the phone to the sensor when I pay, and then hold it so it sees my face? Or maybe once it's unlocked by Face ID, the Apple Pay feature just works without additional ID verification.

It will also be interesting to see how Face ID impacts competitors. My good friend has a new Google phone and I noticed the fingerprint button in back. I didn't ask him about it because we have a fundamental difference in allegiances to operating systems. :) So I'll be interested in seeing how this Face ID technology works out, will it either be copied or dismissed.
I thought a couple of Android phone makers tried out a version of FaceID and it didn't work because it could easily be fooled by a photograph of the user's face...

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The new iPhone seems to have super precise 3D sensors. Not a single flat 2d camera
Yeah, comparing new Apple features with past Android failures is not a good idea. That said, I am not guaranteeing that some new Apple features won't have major problems.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to laugh.

Used to be a time where Apple was able to keep secrets and be able to really surprise the public on reveal day.

Today, Apple leaks are just a common thing.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have to laugh.

Used to be a time where Apple was able to keep secrets and be able to really surprise the public on reveal day.

Today, Apple leaks are just a common thing.
I'd say this was the biggest leak since the iPhone 4 in a bar. But there were huge leaks even before - I remember Steve Jobs going nuts over Time publishing an iMac cover before the keynote. Once he actually switched GPUs for a PowerMac, because the chosen supplier leaked hours before the keynote, and Steve dumped them for a not as good competitor because he was so mad. Nothing new under the sun

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What I am amazed at is how these leaks happen given the contracts all these companies sign as far as confidentiality is concerned.

I mean, aren't these sources going to be held accountable, Ted?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I read that all the key details were announced, I stopped reading. I still like surprises. So I'll live in a self-constructed spoiler-free zone and enjoy Tuesday. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
When I read that all the key details were announced, I stopped reading. I still like surprises. So I'll live in a self-constructed spoiler-free zone and enjoy Tuesday. :)

Good for you, Dave! I like that attitude. It takes strong will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks