What's new

2017 iPhone 8/8+ anticipation and rumors thread =) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the currently available 6s, 7 and 8 are all about the same in terms of form, and the 6s and 7 have 32gb and 128gb varieties.

My iPhone 5 had been 64gb and this new SE is 128gb, so that’s a nice little upgrade for me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Josh — good story. I haven’t been to the Smithsonian to see the 2001 exhibit (or the Star Trek) yet. Didn’t realize it was limited to May. I will probably miss it.

Good story on the new iPhone. I do recommend giving the Raise to Wake a try. I’ve found it super helpful. :)

Rumor sites have been speculating for a new iPhone SE release this year. But if it does happen, it would be Summer at the earliest, likely Fall and maybe even Spring of 2019. Or not at all. Because, Apple.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm so mad at myself.

My 7+ fell inside the couch and the screen was smashed.

Phone is now unusable.

Still have 5 payments until I can trade in or upgrade.

Will cost me $217+ to do this.

Didnt have any plans to get a new phone until the next batch of Iphones come out.

So annoyed.

At least I managed to get it backed up tonight so all isnt lost.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm so mad at myself.

My 7+ fell inside the couch and the screen was smashed.

Phone is now unusable.

Still have 5 payments until I can trade in or upgrade.

Will cost me $217+ to do this.

Didnt have any plans to get a new phone until the next batch of Iphones come out.

So annoyed.

At least I managed to get it backed up tonight so all isnt lost.
That only raises new questions! How did couch cushions destroy your phone?

Is it just the screen? Can you get it fixed either DIY or one of those mall kiosks? Apple also has out-of-warranty replacement service for like $300, if you don't AppleCare or whatever to cover it. It's extra money, but the options are less than the cost of a new phone. It's painful, but I've had to do this the past couple years with electronic catastrophic hit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The couch has a powered lounge chair.
It fell all the way down and when I tried to lower the foot rest it crushed the screen.
I can trade it in for the $217 or get the screen fixed for similar price.

Might consider that. I'll see tomorrow when I feel less stressed out about it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The couch has a powered lounge chair.
It fell all the way down and when I tried to lower the foot rest it crushed the screen.
I can trade it in for the $217 or get the screen fixed for similar price.

Might consider that. I'll see tomorrow when I feel less stressed out about it.
Have you tried ifixit.com?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I found a local place but.

The home button was cracked and destroyed so that would have needed replacement too.

It would have cost nearly $200 to fix the glass and button so I ended up buying a tiny 5c for less then the cost of fixing.
So that will have to hold me over until the new phones come out.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So I have an I phone 8 plus that I just finished the payments on through Verizon. A few weeks ago, the phone started having charging issues. I would plug in the phone to charge it and I would check it after a few minutes and it would say the accessory may not be supported. I am using the lightning cable charger and cube the phone came with.

I googled the issue and tried unplugging the charger as well as a shutdown of the phone itself for about 2 minutes. The issue continues.

I have ordered another Apple lightning cable. If that doesn’t fix the issue, should I take it to a phone medic place? I was hoping to wait to upgrade until 5G came out for Apple.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’d probably bring it to an Apple Store first if you have one locally. Even if it’s out of warranty, if it’s a simple fix they may do it for free or at a very low cost. Might just be some dirty/dusty connectors inside the phone after years of living in your pocket.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And a very delicate probe with a wooden toothpick into the lightning cable jack. Just enough of a probe to see if there's any lint or other debris stuck in there.

I've had to do that a few times...and it is amazing how much stuff ends up in there.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had a bad cable destroy an iPhone and an iPad. So, be careful in testing out suspected bad cables.

If the iPhone is dead and out of warranty, Apple will sell you an out of warranty replacement for about $329. I did that with my iPhone 8+ about a year ago.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got my new Apple lightning cable yesterday. When I plugged it in , my phone was fully charged in about 2 hours. So, it appears to have been a charging cable issue

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got my new Apple lightning cable yesterday. When I plugged it in , my phone was fully charged in about 2 hours. So, it appears to have been a charging cable issue

John, so happy to read that is all the problem was.

I have had my share of faulty Apple cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks