What's new

2017 iMac and iMac Pro buyers and owners thread. (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Nice system!
Very easy to install win10 with the latest Bootcamp software if you happen to need it.

Why go with Bootcamp instead of Parallels Desktop?

I have Parallels. Usually what I end up doing is installing Windows in Bootcamp while also using Parallels to run a VM of the Bootcamp partition going back and forth as needed.

Is that 1TB SSD all SSD or is it a fusion drive?

No, HD…all SSD

-Keith

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Keith,

Excuse my ignorance, but why would you run a virtual machine off the bootcamp partition?

Raul

Just have 1 Windows install to deal with (1 license, 1 Windows OS to update, etc). Bootcamp gives you the best performance and compatibility, although compatibility hasn't been much of an issue in my experience, while the VM gives you convenience…you don't have to leave macOS. Most of the time I find myself just using the VM but if I want to play a Windows game I will boot up Windows from bootcamp. While many games have macOS versions they generally seem to perform better running under Windows.

-Keith

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. I did that with WinXP on my MBP in 2007. I could play Bioshock in Bootcamp and do office-y stuff in Parallels.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So... the iMac Pro goes on sale Thursday and this thread has cobwebs all over it. ;) Anyone planning on placing an order? I'm quite happy with my 15" MacBook Pro so am not in the market for an iMac, but I'm curious to see what the demand is like.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not buying. But always interested in new hardware.

A bunch of reviews are out. I’m a bit perplexed why so many reviewers are comparing the iMac pro to an MBP and being surprised at how fast it is. Of course a GPU-enabled, 10-core Xenon CPU is going to blow the socks off a laptop.

The right comparison is the Mac Pro.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Good luck to the buyers but not for me. iMac retina does all I need for photography, and this gives me nothing I long for. I'll game on my PC and X1X thanks!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 7.52.19 AM.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What is with these reviews on Twitter? Ugh! Hate this growing trend of multi-tweet stories and such nonsense.

Harrumph. Get off my lawn.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Neither does Montana, Alaska, New Hampshire, or Oregon. But hey, it's not like I'm actually gonna BUY an iMac Pro. Just thought it would be fun to max out a build and see where the chips fell. Now we know. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
“I miss feeling confident that Macs represented the most stable and trustable part of their ecosystem,” wrote podcaster Merlin Mann. Wirecutter editor Dan Frakes wrote, “For the first time since the early 2000s, there’s no current [laptop] model that I truly enjoy using.”

https://sixcolors.com/post/2018/01/apple-in-2017-the-six-colors-report-card/

SixColors has its annual “report card” which has been an interesting read so far.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Oops ... sorry for the accidental reply to an old post.

I think there's more sides to that as well. When I bought my first Mac around 1989, enthusiasts would spend twice as much for a 10-15% increase in power. My first Mac was an SE/30, and I can't recall what the High End Mac was, but it was marginally faster and at least double the price.

The SE/30 was current from January 1989 to October 1991. There were several modular Macs out during that period. These provided varying numbers of Nubus card slots.
  • Macintosh II (March 1987 – January 1990)
  • Macintosh IIx (September 1988 – October 1990)
  • Macintosh IIcx (March 1989 – March 1991)
  • Macintosh IIci (September 1989 – February 1993)
  • Macintosh IIfx (March 1990 – April 1992)
All, as I recall, cost a lot. The Macintosh II cost more than $5,000 without keyboard or display; and the Macintosh IIfx "sold for $10,000 to $12,000" (sans monitor) "depending on configuration".

The SE/30 itself was not exactly cheap. I think it cost something like $2,000 (plus or minus) more than the regular SE, the one that had only a 68000 CPU.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks