What's new

2016 NFL Off-Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A couple of defensive players got paid today.

Anyone else other than Miller and Wilkerson {Jets)? I saw that Eric Berry did not get a new contract, but nothing else.

BTW, I've stayed clear of your debate with Robert, Reggie, but as some one who gets annoyed when someone I barely know calls me "Scotty" (I have a few golf buddies who get away with it, but no one else) I can sympathize with Robert. Also, I have a long time co-worker and friend who gets really pissed if someone calls him "Freddy". Names -- and nicknames -- can be a sensitive area, especially with someone you are not close with.

Still, I am also reminded of a scene in Stripes that ends with the line "lighten up, Francis". ;)

Last edited:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
They'll have as much success as Brady did, which is to say none. Too bad some guys refuse to acknowledge reality.

You are correct.

First of all, filing an appeal does not automatically entitle an appellant to a stay. The appellant also must convince a Justice that he has a likelihood of winning the appeal.

Second, getting a stay is fraught with peril for Brady and the Patriots. Let's say that Justice Ginsburg grants a stay while the full Court considers whether to hear the petition. If the petition were filed tomorrow, the NFL would have until the last week of August to file a response. The case would then be scheduled for a conference of the full Court, but the first conference day for the new Supreme Court term isn't until October 7. The Court would then announce its decision the following week. If, as is almost certain, the Supreme Court refuses to hear the case, Brady's suspension would immediately go into effect. Instead of missing the Cardinals, Dolphins, Texans and Bills (and three home games), he would miss the Bengals, Steelers, Bills and Seahawks (two home and two away). If I were Belichick I'd rather have Brady miss the first four games.

Brady and the union have tried to frame this as a due process issue, but it really is a labor contract issue. People can voluntarily sign away their due process rights, and that is what the union did in the current collective bargaining agreement. The Supreme Court has never shown any interest in resolving contractual disputes unless there are similar cases in different Districts where conflicting decisions have been made. That isn't the case here.

Even under the best circumstances, the chances of getting the Supreme Court to hear an appeal are slim. The Court receives approximately 7,000-8,000 petitions for a writ of certiorari each Term. The Court grants and hears oral argument in about 80 cases. It doesn't get much slimmer than that.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It looks like Brady is planning on serving his four game suspension at the beginning of the season even if the NFLPA still pursues the case. So Richard's worst case situation for the Pats of having the suspension fall in a worse time of the schedule really doesn't apply. Instead, if by some remote chance the case was heard by the Supreme Court and they found in Brady's favor, there would then be additional court filings for Brady to get reimbursed by the league for his suspension.

It's unlikely for the Supreme Court to hear the case, though, so all that will happen is that the NFLPA will be spending money on attorneys and court costs. Gotta keep those lawyers out of the unemployment line. ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Excellent summary of the legal situation, Richard. That was my understanding as well after reading about it. It shows how silly and useless all the "I wanna play lawyer for Tom" posts were. And Scott, don't get me started on how the legal system is rigged to make more money for lawyers. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
All except the stay part. :) Like Scott said, he's not looking for a stay of the suspension any more. If the union continues, it's solely to pad the lawyers' pockets challenge the Commissioner's behavior.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Brady authorizing the union to keep paying the lawyers is the equivalent of keying some guy's car after the prom queen chooses to go out with him and says no to you.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brady authorizing the union to keep paying the lawyers is the equivalent of keying some guy's car after the prom queen chooses to go out with him and says no to you.

Well, in this case Brady already got the prom queen (his super model wife). So, I guess he's keying Goodell's car after also getting the prom queen, :lol:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well, in this case Brady already got the prom queen (his super model wife). So, I guess he's keying Goodell's car after also getting the prom queen, :lol:
But the "prom queen" in this case is the courts, who said yes to Roger and no to Tom. Meaning Tom got screwed, but not the way he wanted. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
On a very sad note, former Vikings and Cardinals head coach Denny Green passed away today at age 67 from a heart attack.

I always liked his fire. Here is a rather famous post game presser of his:

RIP, Denny.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If any team is capable of taking what is essentially the number 1 overall pick in the draft (they were not going to draft qb), and screwing the pooch with it, that team is the chargers. Who knows, maybe Bosa is the next monster on defense. The choices seemed odd for a team desperate for help on the offensive line.

What was that about screwing the pooch with Bosa again? :wacko:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What was that about screwing the pooch with Bosa again? :wacko:

It's rather amazing that he's still a holdout. Under the new CBA with its rookie cap and salary slotting this is almost unheard of. It sounds like it's just minor contract language holding things up, too.

The Chargers also lost receiver Stevie Johnson for the season due to a leg injury, so they are not off to a good start. I'm not sure how much Johnson was going to figure into the offense with them signing Benjamin, though, so this is not as big a loss at it would have been last season.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The chargers want both an offset clause and to spread out his signing bonus over more than one year. Boss will accept one, but not both. Seems like the chargers could compromise on one.

His mother wrote on FB that she wishes they had pulled an Eli Manning.

Yup the chargers are screwing the pooch on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks