What's new

2016 MLB Season Discussion (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, that was a waste of a great bullpen. :(

Dave Dombrowski announced earlier today that John Farrell will return as manager next season. I'm OK with that, but other people are losing their minds.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well, that was a waste of a great bullpen. :(

Dave Dombrowski announced earlier today that John Farrell will return as manager next season. I'm OK with that, but other people are losing their minds.

Return of the Red Sox curse?
The playoffs are so different with that beat of 5 division series, then lcs then the World Series. Hottest team wins it.

Anyway. The manager is often a fall guy for teams not playing up to expectations.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's a new season!

Let's go Cubs!
What an unbelievable Giants collapse as the Cubs scored 4 runs in the top of the 9th last night to put them in the NLCS for the second straight year!

Let's Go Cubs, indeed!

I really love the fact that none of the remaining teams have been to the World Series in quite some time, with Cleveland's 1997 appearance being the most recent among them. Then, of course, there's the Chicago Cubs, whose last trip to the World Series roughly coincided with servicemen returning home from World War 2! I've read that some have said the upcoming LCS's and World Series could be a meeting of perennial losers (In a historical sense!), but I prefer the "long overdue" sobriquet!

Play Ball! :thumbs-up-smiley:

CHEERS! :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
What an unbelievable Giants collapse as the Cubs scored 4 runs in the top of the 9th last night to put them in the NLCS for the second straight year!

Let's Go Cubs, indeed!

I really love the fact that none of the remaining teams have been to the World Series in quite some time, with Cleveland's 1997 appearance being the most recent among them. Then, of course, there's the Chicago Cubs, whose last trip to the World Series roughly coincided with servicemen returning home from World War 2! I've read that some have said the upcoming LCS's and World Series could be a meeting of perennial losers (In a historical sense!), but I prefer the "long overdue" sobriquet!

Play Ball! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Could be Murphy vs Cubs again???

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Disappointed that neither the nlcs or alcs is airing on fox.

I have fond memories of always getting to watch postseason baseball on network tv.

I know it's the times but it stinks that they are limiting baseball audience to this degree.

i guess everyone "needs" to have cable.

At any rate I'll get to see the World Series. Maybe?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Disappointed that neither the nlcs or alcs is airing on fox.

I have fond memories of always getting to watch postseason baseball on network tv.

I know it's the times but it stinks that they are limiting baseball audience to this degree.

i guess everyone "needs" to have cable.

At any rate I'll get to see the World Series. Maybe?
It's been that way where I live in Northern Ontario since the late '90s. When we went 7 years (1999 - 2006) without anything other than over the air, for the first 5 years, the only option was if I was able to pull in a distant radio station. then, we got internet in October 2004, just in time for me to catch some of the playoffs on mlb.com Gameday during Boston's historic comeback against the Yankees. I remember looking at it as a modern electronic version of the old outdoor scoreboards, complete with the diamond. The Red Sox Nation Videocasts were also quite exciting to watch!

Regarding the current situation in the U.S, I find that a bit puzzling, as limiting options for viewing where mlb really lives would seem to limit revenue generation. It certainly limits viewer options.

Hopefully, one of the main U.S. networks will carry the World Series? Luckily for me, our Canadian Sportsnet channels have carried most of the postseason games (At least one of the Cubs games were inaccessible for me, other than on Gameday!), and of course, all of the Toronto Blue Jays games, so far!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Regarding the current situation in the U.S, I find that a bit puzzling, as limiting options for viewing where mlb really lives would seem to limit revenue generation. It certainly limits viewer options.
I don't believe the ratings have been good enough in recent years for the major networks to spend the money. The WS will be on FOX in the U.S., I believe, but that's about it. The only regular season games on network TV are usually a couple times a month on FOX Saturday nights. Aside from that, they're on cable sports networks or local access.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I don't believe the ratings have been good enough in recent years for the major networks to spend the money. The WS will be on FOX in the U.S., I believe, but that's about it. The only regular season games on network TV are usually a couple times a month on FOX Saturday nights. Aside from that, they're on cable sports networks or local access.

Agreed. I know it's ratings related.
It is too bad.
I like how the NFL has marketed itself and is doing games but again people are watching.
I like their idea of showing the Thursday night games via twitter as well.
Way to go Indians last night!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs, who, with tonight's 5 -0 win over the LA Dodgers, are going to the World Series for the first time since 1945!

Notable facts regarding that historic Game 6 at Wrigley Field:

- Cubs pitching collectively faced the minimum number of batters! The only other time in MLB postseason history this has happened was NY Yankee Pitcher Don Larsen's Perfect Game in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series!

- 3 time Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw actually surrendering more than 2 runs in a single outing, which only happened to him twice in the regular season! Kyle Hendricks was outstanding in his 7 1/3 innings pitched!

- Actually tied to the entire NLCS, Cubs second baseman Javier Baez, and starting pitcher Jon Lester share this year's NLCS MVP award; a decision I wholeheartedly agree with! They are two huge reasons the Chicago Cubs won the NL pennant, ending that insanely long drought!

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The Boise Hawks stopped being the farm club for the Cubs recently, and now this.

a5b8b5b5c058809756f57d3474a1d2cc.jpg

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't know if I would say that. . .but they did figure out that Kelly belongs in the bullpen, where he was great. Kind of a reverse Daniel Bard!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks