What's new

2015 Terminator 2 streaming....... (1 Viewer)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
It's a long time since I watched Terminator 2. I recently saw critical reviews of the UHD Blu-ray that mentioned the 2015 Special Edition Blu-ray has the best picture quality.

Does anyone know if the 2015 version is available from streaming services? I use Amazon and Vudu frequently but would tolerate ads if available from other services (Tubi, Roku etc).

Thanks, Trevor.

P.S. knowing what you're getting appears to be a major problem with the streaming services. It would be nice if each stream had a standardized provenance description.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There’s a thread on this site about the UHD BluRay release of T2. You might want to read some of the reviews there- a lot of negative comments about it.
Whoops- I misread your post- you know about the slings and arrows T2 UHD received.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's a long time since I watched Terminator 2. I recently saw critical reviews of the UHD Blu-ray that mentioned the 2015 Special Edition Blu-ray has the best picture quality.

Does anyone know if the 2015 version is available from streaming services? I use Amazon and Vudu frequently but would tolerate ads if available from other services (Tubi, Roku etc).

Thanks, Trevor.

P.S. knowing what you're getting appears to be a major problem with the streaming services. It would be nice if each stream had a standardized provenance description.
It’s available on all the services I believe. iTunes and Vudu for sure.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The 2015 Blu-ray transfer? For my curiosity, how do you know that?
Sorry. Disregard. Misread your post. I was referring to the UHD stream that’s available on those services which looks better than the blu Ray in my opinion.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Sorry. Disregard. Misread your post. I was referring to the UHD stream that’s available on those services which looks better than the blu Ray in my opinion.

Well, it turns out that using Roku search, several streaming versions of Terminator 2 are available, including the Special Edition!

I never expected that, so it just shows sometimes you can be surprised. Thanks for the help. I hope this helps others!!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The 2015 disc is just the same transfer that was done all the way back in 2003 for the Extreme Edition disc, except with less compression noise and no extra DNR applied to massage the blocky nature of the old telecine they used on that release.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The 2015 disc is just the same transfer that was done all the way back in 2003 for the Extreme Edition disc, except with less compression noise and no extra DNR applied to massage the blocky nature of the old telecine they used on that release.

At this point in time, do you consider the 2015 transfer to be the best looking available?

2003 was before Blu-ray in 2006, was the transfer originally done for HD cable or satellite?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have the UHD blu ray (got it for cheap). My only complain is it doesn’t have the extended edition, which is my favorite version of the movie. The UHD blu Ray picture quality is outstanding.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The "Van Ling Edition" transfer is ok. I mean it looks fine for 2003 (and the original dvd release blew the Ultimate Edition's transfer out of the water back in the day), but compared to modern 4k sourced (and even some 2k ones), it is definitely showing its age.

2003 was before Blu-ray in 2006, was the transfer originally done for HD cable or satellite?

T2 Extreme was actually the first release of any movie to feature a 1080p transfer on disc using the Windows Media 9 codec. You needed a dvd rom to get it work and even then the system requirements were wildly overspecced for 20 year old PCs. This is why that format died then and there.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...The UHD blu Ray picture quality is outstanding.
I suppose it looks "good" on its own terms, but it looks nothing like the movie it's supposed to be representing. They took a film that was shot on 35mm and made it look like it was shot on digital video - there's not a speck of grain to be seen.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The "Van Ling Edition" transfer is ok. I mean it looks fine for 2003 (and the original dvd release blew the Ultimate Edition's transfer out of the water back in the day), but compared to modern 4k sourced (and even some 2k ones), it is definitely showing its age.

T2 Extreme was actually the first release of any movie to feature a 1080p transfer on disc using the Windows Media 9 codec. You needed a dvd rom to get it work and even then the system requirements were wildly overspecced for 20 year old PCs. This is why that format died then and there.

Well I have the T2 Extreme DVD set but I havn't watched in eons. You make it sound like we havn't progressed much (what a pity) and it's not worth spending $4 to stream, so I'll watch the DVD tomorrow and report back.

I recently went thru this excercise with Gladiator, I had the DVD and it was good (for the day). The original Blu-ray was criticized online so I didn't upgrade. What I didn't know was that there was a later secret remaster that fixed the problems. I recently purchased the remastered Blu-ray and it's superb.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Well I have the T2 Extreme DVD set but I havn't watched in eons. You make it sound like we havn't progressed much (what a pity) and it's not worth spending $4 to stream, so I'll watch the DVD tomorrow and report back.

I recently went thru this excercise with Gladiator, I had the DVD and it was good (for the day). The original Blu-ray was criticized online so I didn't upgrade. What I didn't know was that there was a later secret remaster that fixed the problems. I recently purchased the remastered Blu-ray and it's superb.

I had a quick look at T2 Disc 1, it has the look of the Philips Spirit HD telecine used for many early HD releases, I'll watch in full tomorrow.

I also pulled out a Widows laptop (to charge up) to see if Disc 2 will play. Quite an adventure!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Comparison between the 2015 and 4k. Again, a lot of the "grain" (perhaps all of it) in the 2015 release of the 2003 transfer is just MPEG noise so its not a great example to hold up to.

EDIT: On further research it appears the 2003 master was actually done in 2001 for the DVHS. Which makes it even older.

Last edited:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Interesting: 2001, A Video Odyssey! I played the start of the Extreme DVD disc1 and all of the 2015 SE streaming from Vudu. The 2015 has a modest improvement in definition, at best, and definitely from the same source, as everything else about the video looks the same.

Begs the question, what was used for the 4K UHD? New scan or 2001 scan. Will they release a new 4K UHD videophile version?

I tried the DVD disc 2 in my DVD player and laptop and just got the main menu. I followed instruction online on how to access the movie on the laptop but it's split into four sections (a nuisance) and the DRM authentication did not complete. I guess it's been removed from the server, understandable after 17 years! This has been quite an adventure.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Interesting: 2001, A Video Odyssey! I played the start of the Extreme DVD disc1 and all of the 2015 SE streaming from Vudu. The 2015 has a modest improvement in definition, at best,
You’re comparing a dvd to a 4K stream?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No, the Extreme DVD disc 1 versus a 1080p 2K stream.
I did That comparison too whdd EdN it was released years ago and I thought the 1080P stream looked waaaay better than the dvd. Do people still watch DVD’s?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks