What's new

2013 NFL Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
Same here. I disliked the Cowboys, even in that Super Bowl V. I have enjoyed the Jerry Jones era immensely.
Jones has amusement value that the owners of the Lions and the Redskins don't have.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Stan said:
Seahawks/49ers game was great. Could have gone either way right up until the final few seconds.

Rarely have trouble with Dish Network, but of all times to have to technical glitch, we missed the last two minutes of the 3rd quarter and the first six of the fourth, missing a Seahawks touchdown and some major plays.

But in the end, it all came down to those final 22 seconds. 49ers could have tied, possibly made the field goal and won. Instead, one major interception and game over....
I figured it would go down to the end, I just didn't figure it would go down to the last 22 seconds. The SB is going to be a great game!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Let's go Seahawks! I hope they finally win it all, this time! Though, being in cold weather, and not having the "12th man" on their side, it doesn't seem likely, as Peyton will win on his brother's home field, and match his number of Super Bowl rings.I also hope the Super Bowl is a success in the Meadowlands, allowing more SB's in northern cities. Now, only if they eliminate the lame halftime show.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
RobertR said:
Interesting that you would say that, Johnny. Before the San Diego game, I heard some commentators in Denver talking about whether the same thing happened last year with McCoy as the Denver OC in the game against Baltimore. They speculate that he may have already had one foot out the door.
This just underlines that interviews should wait until after the team is done for the season. To remove any incentive for getting the season over with too early, perhaps all interviews should wait until after the SB?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Patrick Sun said:
I want snow for the Super Bowl!
Just saw on CNN that the NFL has stated it would take a bigger storm than what just hit the area, to reschedule. All the time they're saying this, there's video of them clearing the snow (plenty of it) off the field. They also have contingency plans to play the game on Friday, Saturday, or Monday. Wouldn't that just screw up a lot of plans. Ya gotta know that a whole bunch of those big spenders have broadway theater tickets to sold out shows and hard to get reservations of expensive restaurants.

The could be an interesting game and half time show, because of weather.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
Just saw on CNN that the NFL has stated it would take a bigger storm than what just hit the area, to reschedule. All the time they're saying this, there's video of them clearing the snow (plenty of it) off the field. They also have contingency plans to play the game on Friday, Saturday, or Monday. Wouldn't that just screw up a lot of plans. Ya gotta know that a whole bunch of those big spenders have broadway theater tickets to sold out shows and hard to get reservations of expensive restaurants.

The could be an interesting game and half time show, because of weather.
I'm still trying to figure out why the NFL thought this venue was a good idea.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
RobertR said:
I'm still trying to figure out why the NFL thought this venue was a good idea.
In this case, I believe it was a condition of the region supporting construction of the new stadium at the Meadowlands that a SB be played there. But I think every NFL host city should be in line to also host a SB. It should rotate throughout the entire league on a regular basis. I don't understand why, up until this point, they always seem to reward the warm-weather cities while giving the shaft to all the northern NFL cities.

Football is a fall, cold weather sport. It seems odd to always play the championship game in the tropics or indoors.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
Let's go Seahawks! I hope they finally win it all, this time! Though, being in cold weather, and not having the "12th man" on their side, it doesn't seem likely, as Peyton will win on his brother's home field, and match his number of Super Bowl rings.I also hope the Super Bowl is a success in the Meadowlands, allowing more SB's in northern cities. Now, only if they eliminate the lame halftime show.
The halftime show is always incredibly lame.

Didn't mention this before, but DVRd the NFC game for myself and friends.

We saw the entire game in 90 minutes. Zapped all the ads from what I believe was an almost 4 hour broadcast.

The Superbowl of course has much better ads, but will still ignore anything that's not entertaining. Have to love that FF button.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Malcolm R said:
In this case, I believe it was a condition of the region supporting construction of the new stadium at the Meadowlands that a SB be played there. But I think every NFL host city should be in line to also host a SB. It should rotate throughout the entire league on a regular basis. I don't understand why, up until this point, they always seem to reward the warm-weather cities while giving the shaft to all the northern NFL cities.

Football is a fall, cold weather sport. It seems odd to always play the championship game in the tropics or indoors.
Yes, the NFL has in recent years used hosting a Super Bowl as a carrot to get new stadiums built in areas. It certainly was part of the equation for Ford Field here in Detroit, as well as in Indianapolis. However, I doubt that the league would award the game to a cold weather city for an outdoor game in many cities other than New York. Does anyone really think they would hold the game outdoors in someplace like Buffalo, even with a new stadium? Chicago did not get a Super Bowl, even after the renovation of Soldier Field.

It took almost 50 years for the first cold weather outdoor Super Bowl, and I think it will be a very long time before we see another one. My best guess for the next cold weather venue is Minnesota, since they are starting construction on a new indoor stadium.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
They worry about the weather, but how often has an NFL game actually been cancelled or rescheduled due to weather?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
They worry about the weather, but how often has an NFL game actually been cancelled or rescheduled due to weather?
The only recent case I can remember was only indirectly because of the weather -- when the roof collapsed in Minnesota. They actually moved a home game to Monday Night, and held the game here at Ford Field in Detroit.

I would say there is a snowball's chance in Hell (pun intended) that the Super Bowl will get rescheduled due to weather.

FYI, when the very first cold weather Super Bowl was held at the Silverdome here in Michigan, a decent winter storm hit the area and messed up traffic trying to get to the game.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
The only reason the game is going to be in New York is because it is New York. New England and Buffalo need not apply since there is no way in hell you will ever host.The Super Bowl should always try to eliminate weather as a factor. If you have a dome then you can host the game in a cold weather area, otherwise no deal.Of course even in places like Florida and Southern Cal you could have rain but not much else.Even here in Northern Cal it is a crap shoot. The coldest and most unpleasant Super Bowl I have attended was at Stanford. (For NFL purposes it was San Francisco) The Saturday before the weather was great, the next day, the fog had rolled in and it was damp and cold the whole day.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Patrick_S said:
The Super Bowl should always try to eliminate weather as a factor. If you have a dome then you can host the game in a cold weather area, otherwise no deal.
Then the NFL might as well mandate that every single game be played indoors. It makes no sense to "eliminate weather as a factor" in only one game per year. Who knows how many times weather might have been a factor in any number of non-SB playoff games?

If they can play a conference championship in New England in mid-January (as has been done many times) or in Buffalo, or Green Bay, there's no reason the SB couldn't be held in those stadiums two weeks later.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Malcolm,I agree wholeheartedly. Weather (good or bad) ought always to be a factor when it comes to NFL games.
Aaron Silverman said:
Aaron,Although the game wasn't canceled, I do recall earlier this year that lightning brought to a halt a game between the Bears and Ravens (in Chicago). It was resumed later that day, however.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The commish has already said that not every city will get to host a SB. Add to that, the SB is more than a game. It is a week long event. The big spenders come to town, many of them, for a week of partying and good times. A heavy duty blizzard would put a crimp in that.

Every time San Diego hosted a SB, the city received great reviews not just for the game, but for the week. Since then, the NFL had told SD, no new stadium, no more SBs.

As for playing conditions, I'd prefer the game be played in at least good conditions, if not ideal. I'd prefer the league championship be decided on which is the best team, and not which one is the best mudder, so to speak. My opinion not biased by the fact the team I root for, almost always plays in ideal weather at home. :rolleyes:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick_S said:
Well thankfully it will never been played in any cold weather open air stadium besides New York.
Why? It's alright to play the conference championship games in such stadiums, but not the SB. I don't get it!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Rarely have trouble with Dish Network, but of all times to have to technical glitch, we missed the last two minutes of the 3rd quarter and the first six of the fourth, missing a Seahawks touchdown and some major plays.

Sorry to have bashed Dish. They actually provide pretty good service. Turns out it was our local Fox station that screwed up.

Being from Washington, I'm rooting for the Hawks. They've got a great defense and I'd love to see them beat the Broncos.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Johnny Angell said:
The commish has already said that not every city will get to host a SB. Add to that, the SB is more than a game. It is a week long event. The big spenders come to town, many of them, for a week of partying and good times. A heavy duty blizzard would put a crimp in that.

Every time San Diego hosted a SB, the city received great reviews not just for the game, but for the week. Since then, the NFL had told SD, no new stadium, no more SBs.
That's really messed up, along with the insistence that only cities with NFL teams can host a Super Bowl, and in warm weather cities. That makes a very narrow field, and also, robs the NFL from ever hosting one in the entertainment capital of the world.If the NHL can hold games outdoors, I can't see why the NFL can't do the same. And I can see cities like Chicago, Philly and DC hosting one as well, but would agree ones like Buffalo or Green Bay have no shot at all. And they will never have to worry about a wardrobe malfunction happening in those places. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks