What's new

2013 NFL Season Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,I have picked against them (and other Boston teams in other sports) in the past, but I don't like Denver's defense against the run. I've been impressed with New England's running game the past three or so games. It will a fun game either way. Regardless of who wins this game, I think the winner of the Super Bowl will come out of the NFC this year.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of who wins this game, I think the winner of the Super Bowl will come out of the NFC this year.
While the game isn't completely won or lost on the strength of the quarterback position, I'm not sure that I could pick against Manning or Brady vs. the much younger Wilson or Kaepernick. It seems like the QB position is a big, big advantage for whichever team comes out of the AFC. Of course, given my age I'm going to favor experience. :)

- Walter.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,I'd love for either New England or Denver to emerge the winner of it all this year. But those defenses (San Francisco and Seattle) are very good. And you know what they often say about defenses winning in the NFL.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think any of these final four teams have a legitimate chance to win it all, and I had a very difficult time coming up with picks this weekend. I ended up going with the home field advantage as the deciding factor in both games.

What more could a football fan ask for in this weekend's matchups? The two best teams in each conference during the regular season are going at it, it's Brady vs. Manning again, and there are two excellent defenses with teams that do not like each other going in the NFC.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Agreed. And what's interesting to me is that we may have two very contrasting styles (AFC vs. NFC) this year. The NFC seems almost like 'older' style football to me, while the AFC with its wide-open offense is relatively more 'modern,' if you will. It's neat too how the Patriots and 49ers have each been in the last three conference championship games. They've at least been somewhat consistent in getting to that point. It would be fun to see another OT game this year.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Between SF and Seattle. Seattle has the best chance of two more consistently good games. SF, can they pull off two great games?AFC, hhmm, I want Peyton in another super bowl. Brady almost needs it more(Manning curse lately).

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
While I want the Hawks to win I think SF is playing a little better right now so I figure they will win. I'm not looking forward to two more weeks of the local media sucking up to the Niners.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,Agreed. And what's interesting to me is that we may have two very contrasting styles (AFC vs. NFC) this year. The NFC seems almost like 'older' style football to me, while the AFC with its wide-open offense is relatively more 'modern,' if you will. It's neat too how the Patriots and 49ers have each been in the last three conference championship games. They've at least been somewhat consistent in getting to that point. It would be fun to see another OT game this year.
I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I think this is the best coaching job that Bellichick has ever done, which is saying a lot. I know the Pats have an advantage playing in the weak AFC East, but that team lost every legitimate receiver except Julian Edelman from last year's team for all or the majority of this season (Welker, Hernandez, Lloyd, Gronk, Vareen), and they are still in the conference title game. Bellichick just finds ways to win with whatever personnel he has on the roster.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Nicely done, Denver. Jack Del Rio came up with an excellent defensive game plan, shutting down the run game. Peyton was essentially flawless.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I went 0-2 this weekend (7-3 overall). I really want Denver to win the Super Bowl, but I just don't see it happening. I really hope I'm wrong.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations to the Seahawks, but I have to say, Richard Sherman's postgame comments were the antithesis of a gracious sportsman.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think Denver will beat Seattle by 10. Was that also Sherman who got the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end? I thought he showed a complete lack of class.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Supposedly Crabtree said some crap(expletive ladled) about Sherman.Something like he's a wannabe...blah, blah.But Hawks/Broncs should be good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Johnny Angell said:
I think Denver will beat Seattle by 10. Was that also Sherman who got the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end? I thought he showed a complete lack of class.
Seattle nor San Fran will earn a good conduct medal. It's hard to root for either of them.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
If Sherman weren't on the Seahawks, I would actually root for them in most games. I'd love for them to lose by about forty points to Denver in two weeks. ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
If Sherman weren't on the Seahawks, I would actually root for them in most games. I'd love for them to lose by about forty points to Denver in two weeks. ;)
And in particular, I'd love for the Denver receivers to burn Sherman for 4 or 5 touchdowns.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I'll be rooting for the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. I would just like to see a new team win it all this year.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Out here in the Bay Area Niner fans are in full blown excuse mode at the moment, they are spending a lot of time blaming the Refs for their loss.

I think the Refs made some bad calls but nothing that changed the outcome of the game.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick_S said:
Out here in the Bay Area Niner fans are in full blown excuse mode at the moment, they are spending a lot of time blaming the Refs for their loss.

I think the Refs made some bad calls but nothing that changed the outcome of the game.
I agree. The calls all seemed to go Seattle's way, but the SF turnovers were the reason the Niners are not playing in the Super Bowl. And yes, Richard Sherman showed the entire country that he is a classless tool. What an ass!

I got both games correct, so am now 7-3 in the playoffs -- not bad after starting 1-3 the first weekend. I am going to wait on the weather report before making my prediction for the Super Bowl. If the weather is good, I think the Broncos will win. The Seahawks should be hoping for a winter storm.

Also, CBS showed a "fact" during the NE - Denver game, where Peyton Manning would be the first starting QB to take two different teams to the Super Bowl. Kurt Warner says "hi" to their research staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks