What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Ockeghem said:
The Red Sox have a chance to clinch the World Series at Fenway Park for the first time since 1918! What a great game by Lester. How many teams can take two-out-of-three in St. Louis? :)
Well, the Rangers swept them there this year. :D Too bad their offense (meaning Texas) was hibernating for most of the season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg_S_H said:
Well, the Rangers swept them there this year. :D Too bad their offense (meaning Texas) was hibernating for most of the season.
Greg,

Thanks. Texas is quite a dangerous team when they're playing well.

Mike,I don't know if you caught any of the highlights last night, but one of the reporters asked Matheny about the chances of Ortiz being the MVP of the World Series. An inappropriate question considering there are games left to play, but anything goes these days. I like how he (and Farrell when asked the same question later) answered the reporter.

Although I don't want to see a game seven, it would occur on Halloween night (weather permitting). Ahh, the 'ghosts' of the 1967 World Series come to mind. I'm pleased that Orlando Cepeda won't be playing tomorrow night. ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/1967_WS.shtml

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Mike, I think the header about the DH in that article was a typo. I'm pretty sure he intended to say that the DH should always be used.

IMO, while it's a goofy question to ask a manager in the middle of a series, somebody else would have to have a LUDICROUS last couple of games, combined with Papi sucking, in order for him to not get the MVP award at this point. And that's *regardless* of which team wins.

Maybe if Macha is absolutely lights-out again and the Cards (god forbid!) win the series, he could take it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,I definitely agree with Papi being the most likely candidate at this point. But it really seemed out of place to have asked it at that point. If the tables were turned and we were down three-games-to-two and were (e.g.) talking about Beltran receiving the award, I would have been miffed. Matheny took it really well, all things considered.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And its not like managers have any say in the matter. I would suppose his response was something along the lines of "Ortiz is having an incredible series. We don't know what to do with him. But its not over yet." Dumb question for a manager...even after a World Series...because they are pretty much picked by the time the last pitch is thrown.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's something different.

The Cardinals were looking to get to Boston early today...have a workout...and then get an early night's sleep.

But...their plane is having "mechanical difficulties" and they can't get out of town. Crazy.

Maybe they'll have to forfeit Game #6! :laugh:

I guess Cardinals Manager Mike Matheny is hosting his conference call today with the media from the tarmac!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's something REALLY different:

David Ortiz--in the 2013 World Series--has an OPS of 2.017.

That is NOT a typo. A 2.017 OPS. THAT is crazy locked-in.

OPS = On-base + Slugging Percentages.

I know the WS is only five games so far...but to give you an idea of just how stupid hot Ortiz is right now, the highest OPS recorded for a career was Babe Ruth at 1.1636. The highest single-season was Barry Bonds in 2004 with a 1.4217.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
Here's something REALLY different:

David Ortiz--in the 2013 World Series--has an OPS of 2.017.

That is NOT a typo. A 2.017 OPS. THAT is crazy locked-in.

OPS = On-base + Slugging Percentages.

I know the WS is only five games so far...but to give you an idea of just how stupid hot Ortiz is right now, the highest OPS recorded for a career was Babe Ruth at 1.1636. The highest single-season was Barry Bonds in 2004 with a 1.4217.
Mike,And to think that Ortiz was inches away from another Grand Slam, which would have been four more RBIs and his (I believe) twelfth hit in the World Series thus far. He'll need a big game tonight (at least three hits?) to break the single-series record for hits, I believe. Of course, I'd rather he not get the record if it means he would need a seventh game to achieve it. ;)http://www.infoplease.com/ipsa/A0113180.html

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Where it began,
I can't begin to knowin'
But then I know it's growing strong

Was in the spring
And spring became the summer
Who'd have believed you'd come along.

Hands, touchin' hands
Reachin' out, touchin' me, touchin' you

Sweet Caroline
Good times never seemed so good

So good...so good...so good!

:biggrin:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Somewhere cats are happy.

1382665576.0585-20646-r-609x500.jpg

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not sure if anyone here listens to Colin Cowherd but he was somewhat critical or at least suspicious of David O. and his recent powers. Cowherd and his opinion on him has been known tenge past couple years but then he went into say St. Louis was doing a silent protest against him last night with the walks. He was trying to make some weird points.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I dunno.

To accuse him of using steroids because of his performance in the World Series seems lame. I don't think you can turn on and off the results of steroid use that quickly in someone's physiology. He was on a tear. Players do that. That's why baseball has averages.

I certainly don't think a comparison to Barry Bonds makes sense either.

Barry Bonds: HR/BA/OPS/MVP Vote

2001 73/.328/1.379/1st
2002 46/.370/1.381/1st
2003 45/.341/1.278/1st
2004 45/.362/1.422/1st

David Ortiz: HR/BA/OPS/MVP Vote

2010 32/.270/.899/None
2011 29/.309/.953/None
2012 23/.318/1.026/None
2013 30/.309/.959/None

Those sets of numbers just don't seem to compare. In 2004, Barry Bonds walked 232 times. In 2013, Ortiz walked 76 times.

I guess maybe his superhuman numbers in the WS, could lead to Bond comparisons. But Ortiz didn't hit .688 during the regular season (just the six games of the World Series). And, let's not forget that in the ALCS against the Tigers he hit....091 (2 for 22).

I understand there was that one positive test that was recorded about ten years ago. I haven't been able to find a lot of information about that result. But I have read a lot of baseball insiders who refer to that result as insignificant and that it shouldn't be held against him. I do not know why. That kinda bugs me.

I certainly understand if people are suspicious of players nowadays after what went on in the '90s and early 2000s. But, players are getting caught now and receiving long suspensions. But not Ortiz.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
As a lifelong, die hard Cardinal fan, I say Hats off to the Red Sox for a series and a season well played.

Ortiz seems like a nice guy and from all accounts he is. There doesn't seem to be any evidence of steroids, but as they say, "Haters gonna hate."

I also don't think it was a "protest" on the part of the Cardinals to walk him. With the series being as tough as it is, I'm surprised Matheny let ANYONE pitch to him. It was generally the smart move to walk him if there was an open base.

How many days till Spring Training? ;)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Congrats to the Boston Red Sox for winning the 2013 World Series. And one of the more entertaining series to watch.I have to stop with this bad habit of flipping through channels, because I end up missing some key moments. Like when I missed Victorino's bases-clearing triple, all because I was watching an episode of "Arrow".

While I don't care much for Tim McCarver, I thought Fox did a little nice tribute for him.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Kevin Hewell said:
Congrats to the Red Sox on their championship. The two best teams with the two best fanbases were there. It's just a shame that one had to lose.
I agree that the Sox fans are right up there but to say the Cards fans are one of the best two, mm not sure I would go with that.I would say they are more like sheep or better, Stepford fans.When I see a teams fans show up all over the country at road games and practically take over a stadium, then that is impressive. Just sitting in a stadium at home and blindly going along with whatever the team does doesn't show me anything. What is a definition of a good fan base anyway. Subjective. I guess if it was simply showing up and cheering your team on than sure they are good fans and I would have to say compared to Braves fans and others who dont even fill a stadium during a run for the playoffs and then in the actual playoffs, maybe that's a good criteria.Maybe I just like to see the fans not only cheer them on but also not have a problem letting them know when they think the team is screwing up.What do I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.