What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm okay with it, it's done, but nobody cared when Mike Trout made it last year on the strength of the impact his callup made just about a month sooner than Puig's callup this year. Sure, he had a little bit of service in 2011 as well, but not much and his performance was of little note at the time. So, Trout did have more time, but it's pretty much the same situation.

But, it's over and he'll have his chance next year. The only thing that left a really sour taste was the ESPN article that quoted a bunch of Diamondbacks downing the idea of Puig in the ASG and Puig in general. Those guys are in the middle of a feud--contained at the moment--and one of those downing him was Ian Kennedy, who hit him in the face. I really don't care about those guys' opinions of a guy they don't like anyway.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg_S_H said:
Well, Scott and Mike, thanks! You guys got out there and got the job done in Oakland! That was a particularly heads up play in the bottom of the seventh, Scott!* :laugh: I needed that, as my team is in a sudden downturn and we stayed a game back instead of two. :)

* - I didn't even see the game/score until just now, so I don't know if anything of note really happened in that inning.
Greg,You're welcome. ;)My Red Sox have at least assured themselves of a .500 west coast road trip, and if they continue to play well, they could come back home 6-4 or maybe even 7-3. I doubt a sweep in Oakland is going to happen, but had we had Buchholz pitching in this three game series, I might think differently. We'll see how it goes. When I checked yesterday Boston's pitcher for game three was still 'undecided.'

Edit: Okay, Boston is sending Brandon Workman to the mound in game three of the series.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Looks like the Boise Hawks are going to be starting a ringer, named Kris Bryant....

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/07/13/2652896/bryant-signed-ready-to-be-delivered.html
Kris Bryant, like many before him, hopes he can help the Chicago Cubs become a winner. The Cubs finalized their agreement Friday with the third baseman, the No. 2 overall pick in last month's amateur draft.
"This is a dream of mine and I am very happy to be a Cub," Bryant said. "Hopefully, I can play this game for a long time. I am excited to get my journey started."
That journey will start in Mesa, Ariz., for a short time. Chicago media reports indicated Bryant would then join the Boise Hawks. The earliest Bryant could play in Boise is Thursday, when the Hawks begin a five-game series against Everett.
Bryant will receive a signing bonus of $6,708,400.
Now I know Mike is going to get on my case to go watch some local games...

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Just some random thoughts before the All-Star break......Good final series series for the A's before the All-Star break. They really don't get the respect they deserve since they clearly are playing very good baseball right now. That was a nice no-hitter for Lincecum on Saturday but he still won't get anything close to the contract he turned down last year. He is no longer a 1, 2 or 3 but rather a low 4 or a 5. That 100+ million dollar contract that he turned down is looking mighty good now.Something that hasn't been discussed in this thread is the lawsuit San Jose vs MLB. San Jose is going to win if it goes to trail which would result in the loss of baseball's anti-trust exemption. That is something Bud does not want to be part of his baseball legacy so he needs to get off the stick and resolve this before it goes to court. Since the territory was originally the A's Bud should just give it back to the A's or set some sort of low ball price of 50 million and be done with the situation.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
it's amazing that MLB would fight moving the A's to San Jose...San Jose is a much richer venue than "west coast Detroit" Oakland. People in the east are often surprised to learn that San Jose is the largest city in the US west of the Mississippi and north of Los Angeles.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
While the Mets are not having a good season, their fans have to feel good that their 2 representives will be starting in the All-Star Game in their own home field.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Am I the only one not crazy about the home run derby? Guys hitting gopher balls out while the announcers hyperventilate. "OMG HE HIT IT OUT OF HERE!"

I'm not crazy about home runs in general. They're only nice when your team hits them. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm looking forward to it. However, I'm really looking forward even more to the All-Star game tomorrow night.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Am I the only one not crazy about the home run derby? Guys hitting gopher balls out while the announcers hyperventilate. "OMG HE HIT IT OUT OF HERE!"

I'm not crazy about home runs in general. They're only nice when your team hits them. :)
+1

Plus, it is annually the worst sports broadcast on television.

Why? Chris Berman for starters. Nomar Garciaparra, too. Just awful. The camera work is horrendous. The director is determined to have the live cameras do thir best to follow the flight of the ball via close-ups. They would do best with the standard wide shot/zoom in. But the shots get dizzying and are often incorrect due to the problem of depth perception and the camera operators can't tell where the ball is going to land.

But the announcers/guests talk over each other and then Berman interjects his histrionics. Garbage. Oh...and it is WAY TOO LONG.

it could be a fun annual event if done right.

Again..."Vote for Frezon for MLB Commissioner." :biggrin:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

I disagree with you with regard to Chris Berman. However, I will say that his NFL talk (and especially The Blitz) is far more interesting than any other sport I've heard him discuss.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike Frezon said:
+1 Plus, it is annually the worst sports broadcast on television. Why? Chris Berman for starters. Nomar Garciaparra, too. Just awful. The camera work is horrendous. The director is determined to have the live cameras do thir best to follow the flight of the ball via close-ups. They would do best with the standard wide shot/zoom in. But the shots get dizzying and are often incorrect due to the problem of depth perception and the camera operators can't tell where the ball is going to land. But the announcers/guests talk over each other and then Berman interjects his histrionics. Garbage. Oh...and it is WAY TOO LONG. it could be a fun annual event if done right. Again..."Vote for Frezon for MLB Commissioner." :biggrin:
Following the ball in close up is the complaint I've had for years and more so since HD started.Thereis no angle perspective to see we're the ball is in flight and were its going to land.Golf is even worse and unwatchable on tv for this reason.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike Frezon said:
Again..."Vote for Frezon for MLB Commissioner." :biggrin:
Nah. That would be a good job for a former President. To what other job could he aspire? George Bush would do a good job and heck he was once a managing owner of the Texas Rangers so he knows the ins and outs of MLB.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I had the derby on in the background and ended up leaving the house to do some chores before the first round was even over. Yep, Chris Berman was very annoying. Somebody on Twitter said, "Can someone hit a HR ball straight into Berman's mouth?" :laugh:

I'd vote for you, Mike, but I like the DH. Then again, I see Greinke sitting on a .286 avg. and doing some damage with the bat, and Scott Feldman was tearing it up during a Cubs game I watched, so maybe.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought I heard Kevin James lost a ton of weight for that recent teacher movie, but he looks bigger than I've ever seen him in this ASG skit. He really needs to get a handle on that.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
He did lose a lot of weight for the MMA movie but he is now heavier then he has ever been.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
I'm just trying to keep Mike's spirits up!
And don't think I don't appreciate it! :biggrin:

Damn fine All-Star game tonight!

But I really hated to see Cano get hit in the first inning. That's just horrible. Glad to hear it's not a bad injury.

Users who are viewing this thread