What's new

2013 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
TonyD said:
I don't know where your info comes from. Blackout rules are local only. In florida I can watch or listen to any feed I want for Phils games. Maybe Scranton is part of the Pittsburgh market so mlbtv blacks it out. Here in Philly I can choose home or away radio feeds for EVERY game Your rant section is a little hard to follow and the rest comes across as hey you get off my lawn. Don't quote me but blackouts are usually in the 100 mile range.
OK, the info that I have about the app are from friends and their comments to me are that the blackouts are the same as on TV. If this is wrong I'd like to know, although as I said before, I'm much more interested in getting games from my favorite team than all games in general.

As far as broadcast TV, Fox games on Saturday are not blacked out anywhere (although different areas of the country may get different games).
ESPN games on Sunday night are not blacked out anywhere.

ESPN games at all other times, and all games on the MLB TV network (Channel 152 on my DISH box) and the Sunday games on TBS are blacked out if you are in the home region of one of the participating teams. So in these cases, no games with the Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Pirates and some other teams are blacked out. Tonight on MLB TV (the network not the app) they are showing the mariners vs the rangers. It's blacked out on my DISH subscription in Scranton, PA.

Question for TonyD: If the Phils are playing the Marlins or the Rays can you get those games in Florida on the mlb app?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
"As far as broadcast TV, Fox games on Saturday are not blacked out anywhere (although different areas of the country may get different games).ESPN games on Sunday night are not blacked out anywhere."There's no reason for that game on right now to be blacked out in Scranton,It's on here in Philly. Maybe it's an issue with Dish. Is your billing address Scranton?As for Fox Saurday and ESPN Sunday night, they have exclusive coverage at those times.ESPN is a national broadcast. Fox is regional so black out doesn't apply on tv but there is a blackout for all games during the Fox broadcasts on the app and mlbtv Of course when the Phils play Florida teams they will be blacked out in Florida.Gregg's situation is odd, maybe Houston and Dallas are considered one region?

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
From mlb.com concerning their app:
Regular Season Local Live Blackout: All live games on MLB.TV and available through MLB.com At Bat are subject to local blackouts. Such live games will be blacked out in each applicable Club's home television territory, regardless of whether that Club is playing at home or away. If a game is blacked out in an area, it is not available for live game viewing. If you are an MLB.TV subscriber and not located within either Club's home television territory, the applicable game will be available live and as an archived game as soon as possible after the conclusion of the game. If you are an MLB.TV subscriber within either Club's home television territory, the applicable game will be available as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game.
In addition, note:

[*]These blackout restrictions apply regardless of whether a Club is home or away and regardless of whether or not a game is televised in a Club's home television territory.
[*]All live Toronto Blue Jays games are blacked out throughout the entire country of Canada.
[*]Additional teams may also be subject to blackout in parts of Canada based on their region.
[*]All live games will be blacked out in the U.S. territories of Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands during the MLB regular season.
[/list]--------------
They use your IP address to determine where you are, so I would guess that if you try to watch a game in either teams "home television territory" it will be blacked out. Can anyone here confirm that they are close to their favorite team and have watched their games on the app? Incidentally further down the page they confirm that games on Fox on Saturday and and ESPN on Sunday night are blacked out on the app.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That info you posted at the top above the dotted lines is common knowledge.Any game I try to watch involving the Phils is blacked out no matter where they are playing.Same with the Yankees or any other team.My wife is already in Fla and has been using the app to watch the Phils .You might want to contact Dish on our blackout of tonight's game.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
TonyD said:
That info you posted at the top above the dotted lines is common knowledge.Any game I try to watch involving the Phils is blacked out no matter where they are playing.Same with the Yankees or any other team.My wife is already in Fla and has been using the app to watch the Phils .You might want to contact Dish on our blackout of tonight's game.
But in post 182 you said that the app allows you to watch the games. Perhaps I'm being anal but it only allows you to watch the games that aren't blacked out. And MLBs policy about what is blacked out is strange and IMHO counter productive to building the popularity of baseball. And it appears that there is no limit as to what teams can claim a given area as their home territory. I'm in Pittsburgh's home territory and I live closer to Boston and much closer to Washington DC and Baltimore. According to a friend of mine in Las Vegas, they are part of the home territory of seven different teams.

And as you can tell from my rants, this policy infuriates me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don't think you are being anal, just literal. I did say watch all the games in that post but obviously the games that are blacked out in ones viewing location aren't watchable.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Are Phils games blacked out for you on dish?If not I still think you have a problem with Dish as there is no reason tonight's gameshould have been blacked out and o reason Pittsburg is considered your "home" regionand should not be blacked out in Scranton.Do you know any other Dish users? Can you see if they have they same weird BO restrictions?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I goggled MLB region coverage and came up with this for some recent Fox games.http://www.the506.com/mlbmaps/Very interesting article here including the region map.http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-blackout-policy-under-attack-in-the-courts/Lat paragraphFor now, the MLB broadcast territories remain in place. MLB’s new national TV contracts with FOX, ESPN and TBS go into effect in 2014, and FOX has agreed to eliminate out-of-market blackouts for it’s Saturday Game of the Week. So starting in 2014, an Extra Innings or MLB.tv subscriber will be able to watch any FOX Saturday broadcast not being shown in her regional market that day. But all other blackouts will remain in effect.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
More....
image.jpg
That section from Pitssburgh going up to Scranton is just silly.The entire map is filled with those angled lines running through areas that have no apparent connection.Why Scranton isn't part of the Phila- NY area makes no sense.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Michael Elliott said:
Which brings me to a very sad story. I live around twenty-minutes from Cincinnati and I take my son to anywhere from 6-8 games a year. I've already taken him to three this year and I freakin' bought tickets to this one but my girlfriend (who I might leave now...seriously) decided it was too hot to go. Yes, after going to countless games, I get my chance to see history and I'm a sucker who had tickets but didn't go.

While watching the game on television, around the six inning I started to dread what I had done and when the final out was made I got really, really depressed knowing the history that I had missed. You just never know when you're going to witness something like this and to have tickets and no go is just downright depressing. Even after a night's sleep it didn't feel any better in the morning.

The funny thing is that the day after most people are talking about Bailey cuss/rant at Reds announcer Marty Brennaman after the game.
You should have just left her at home and taken your son to the game. If she's upset about that then too fucking bad.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
sidburyjr, It's great to find a fellow Braves fan here. Sometimes I feel we're being inundated with Red Sox propaganda.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
TonyD said:
Are Phils games blacked out for you on dish?If not I still think you have a problem with Dish as there is no reason tonight's gameshould have been blacked out and o reason Pittsburg is considered your "home" regionand should not be blacked out in Scranton.Do you know any other Dish users? Can you see if they have they same weird BOrestrictions?
Phillies games are blacked out for me except that one of the local independent stations broadcasts most of their Sunday games and a few other games.

I called DISH last night and was told by their rep that the reason that I was blacked out was that MLB did the blacking out based on the fact that there was a local competitor who had bought rights to the game.

I then called MLB Inc (at 11 pm EDT and talked to a real person) and was basically told the same thing. The woman could not even hint as to who would have broadcast the game locally. Fortunately the mariners vs rangers game was one that I would not have watched anyway but the policy is infuriating. When compared to the NFL package (based on comments from friends since I have never had it) they basically show everything (unless you are actually very close to a team and their game is not sold out). MLB seems intent on driving fans away.

But at least I should be able to see two of the three games between my Braves and your Phillies this weekend since Saturday is a Fox game and Sunday is a local broadcast.

Oh and I just looked on the MLB site and MLB At Bat 13 is available for free for the month of July for iOS and android. The free month is sponsored by Ford.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was a nice four-game sweep for the Red Sox over the Padres, finishing off an 8-1 homestand. I can't wait until they get Buchholz back, provided he's 100% healthy. These next ten games are a gut-check for them. I'll be surprised if the BoSox have the lead they do now after they've completed their next three series.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
SCENARIO: Guy steps up to the plate to lead off the bottom of the 8th. His team has a comfortable lead--it would take a major defensive meltdown for the visiting team to make a comeback in the ninth. In his previous at bats, he hit a triple, a home run, and a double. He gets a good pitch to hit and drives it perhaps a little harder than he intended, easily a stand-up double, maybe more. Is it expected and/or accepted that he makes a stop at first? He would basically be saying, "Given the odds that we'll hold the lead, I'm going to forego what's good for the team for my own personal accomplishment." I think some guys are so competitively minded that they would go for whatever base they could grab.

Just something to ponder on this lazy Saturday as you finish off the last of your Independence Day turkey leftovers. I think I remember this coming up last year, but I don't remember the details.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's something you don't see every day.

Our local minor league team--the Tri-City Valley Cats (single A for the Houston Astros) won their game last night on a "walk-off"...in the 10th inning. A walk-off homer? A walk-off base hit scoring a run? Nope. A walk-off strikeout.

The strike-out was combined with a wild pitch. The runner from third scored.

The ValleyCats and Spinners headed into extra innings knotted at 4, and in the 10th inning with two outs, Tri-City's Luis Alvarez struck out swinging, but a passed ball allowed Thomas Lindauer to reach home plate and the ValleyCats snapped a two-game skid.
The main story line of the game had been the first start by the guy the Astros had signed as the #1 overall pick in the MLB draft--Mark Appel. It was not an auspicious start to the game! :laugh:
The first pitch of Mark Appel's professional career was one he would most certainly like to erase from his memory.

Lowell shortstop Tzu-Wei Lin took the Tri-City starter's first-pitch fastball and sent it into center field for a leadoff triple. It was one of 19 pitches that the No. 1 overall pick of the Houston Astros in the 2013 draft threw in the opening inning of the ValleyCats 5-4 walkoff win against Lowell on Friday at Bruno Stadium.

"Welcome to pro ball I guess," said Appel with a laugh. "(Lin) put a good swing on it. I think I've thrown a first-pitch fastball to start a game every single time I've had a start. I left it up a little bit, but he put a good swing on it."

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
In spite of the "he hasn't played long enough" controversy, I'm final voting Yasiel Puig for the ASG. I'm also stuffing the ballot box for Koji. I really don't care about the ASG at all, but what the hey.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Greg,As am I (with regard to Puig). I want to see him in the game. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, Scott and Mike, thanks! You guys got out there and got the job done in Oakland! That was a particularly heads up play in the bottom of the seventh, Scott!* :laugh: I needed that, as my team is in a sudden downturn and we stayed a game back instead of two. :)

* - I didn't even see the game/score until just now, so I don't know if anything of note really happened in that inning.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm okay that Puig hasn't been added to the Allstar game. Not enough time in the league.Anyway another note of interest on the blackouts on saturday thing.Phils were rained out on Friday night.Had a 3pm day game scheduled Saturday.Was scheduled early so it wouldn't b blacked out as per the Fox Rule.After Fridays rain out that game was rescheduled for Saturday night but since its on same time as a fox regional broadcast, the game would be blacked out everywhere.Comcast Phila asked fox to lift the blackout for the game since its an unusual circumstance. Fox agreed.Fox has good reason to keep good will with Comcast on allowing the broadcast because fox will need Comcast to pick up the channel at a reqsonable price when their new network launches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.