What's new

2013-14 Hot Stove League (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I came here to see if Mike had started up this thread, but I see Patrick beat him to it this year. How's the hot stove in upstate NY these days?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I really hope that the Red Sox sign Ellsbury to a long-term contract. I don't want to see him in either a Seattle or Texas uniform next year.Mike,Any current news on this that you're aware of?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Haven't really heard much substantive news on Ells.

He developed a bit of a reputation as a gamer this year (something which had eluded him in past seasons when he had been hurt and fallen off the face of the earth). This year he had a foot fracture that he played with (which had actually cost him several games near the end of the regular season). And, come to find out last night, he was playing most of the post-season with a badly bruised, swollen hand.

He is a huge talent which any team would be lucky to have at the top of the lineup. His presence there would instantly make you a better team.

He's got the speed. He has shown flashes of power. I personally witnessed him hitting two home runs in one game at Camden Yards a couple of years ago. And he should have won the Gold Glove as AL centerfielder this year. And he hits for average. A 5-tool player.

Which is why I would love to see his current team re-sign him! :biggrin:

Here's one of those two homeruns I saw!

gallery_286742_34_158096.jpg

gallery_286742_34_52504.jpg

gallery_286742_34_95486.jpg

And don't think the guy ain't marketable, too!

gallery_286742_34_261041.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And, of course, Ells is a Boras client.

That means little to no chance of any hometown discount. But maybe Ellsbury might realize he'd have a better chance of being part of a championship team in Boston than, say, Seattle.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
At least two other teams will offer him longer deals than the Sox will, especially after what happened with all their short-term signings this year.

It comes down to money. . .I'm not too hopeful.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's kind of irritating, but I will begrudgingly acknowledge that it's probably for the best. Assuming one of those kids is ready to go in another year!

I found an article online from February in which Jake Peavy spoke well of Pierzynski. That made me feel better.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,I don't necessarily like seeing Salty go, though. He had some really timely hits, and I felt fairly confident whenever he came to the plate in a tight situation. Hopefully Pierzynski will pan out nicely.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that while their numbers from last year were pretty similar, Salty wanted more years than the Sox were willing to give (because of the youngsters). And they could get Pierzynski for just one year. So, AJ it is.

Certainly not my first choice. But I was given some peace of mind when I read this piece by Chad Finn of the Boston Globe today. Here's an excerpt:
"If you play against him, you hate him,'' his former manager Ozzie Guillen once surmised. "If you play with him, you hate him a little less."
(There is a hilarious clip of former White Sox coach Jeff Cox telling a story in the clubhouse about Guillen and Pierzynski on YouTube. I'm not linking to it because of -- well, because of typical baseball clubhouse language. But a search for "Ozzie Guillen and AJ Story" will get you there.)
Guillen's relationship with Pierzynski was complicated, but it's also clear he has a lot of affinity for him. He's always been quick to credit Pierzynski for his role on the White Sox' 2005 championship team.
And the "bad teammate" narrative? That just isn't true. It does not require a lengthy search to find quotes from former teammates who unequivocally vouch for the guy.
Consider these comments from an August 2012 feature Sports Illustrated's Ben Reiter wrote on Pierzynski:
"Playing against him for so long, he was probably one of my least liked guys," said Diamondbacks closer J.J. Putz, of his mindset prior to signing with the White Sox for the 2010 season. "Then my locker was right next to his, and after that he became one of my favorite teammates ever. He's not a baby, but just a guy who is so passionate that he doesn't hold anything back. Until you play with him, you have a misperception of what he is."
Chris Sale, who has in his first year as a starter become a Cy Young candidate -- he is 15-4, with a 2.65 ERA -- believes he knows a primary reason for his, and the staff's, success. "I put everything on A.J.," Sale said. "I don't call my own game, I don't ever shake him off. Whatever fingers he puts down, that's what I'm throwing. I've never shaken him off. Never."
And then there is one person whose endorsement matters around here. David Ortiz played with Pierzynski for parts of five seasons with the Twins. They became teammates for the first time way back in 1997, for the Single A Ft. Myers Miracle. Ortiz has always vouched for Pierzynski.
"People like to stamp guys from the beginning," said Ortiz in the SI story.. "One guy says it, and then everyone else follows what that guy says, and then, boom."
There's no doubt Ortiz would advocate for Pierzynski now. It's fair to presume pitching coach Juan Nieves and starter Jake Peavy, who both worked with him in Chicago, are cool with reuniting with him here.
Pierzynski has a reputation as a smart, prepared game-caller whose most obnoxious acts seem to stem from one thing: he's competitive as hell.
"He's a tough guy, a dirt bag,'' one unnamed baseball ops executive told Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press this week when the Twins were in on the bidding on Pierzynski. "Wherever he goes, he wins."
That sure sounds to me like someone who will fit into the culture of this Red Sox clubhouse. Besides, there are strong enough leaders there as it is to endure a cantankerous personality like Pierzynski's without it having a negative effect.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And Jacoby Ellsbury will be wearing pinstripes for the next seven years. The contract will be worth 153-million dollars.

Gotta admit. I think this is a very good move for the Yanks...even though they have issues at all other positions, they have made themselves a much better ballclub by snatching up Jacoby.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh...I'm quite unhappy about it...

This will be worse than the Damon situation was. Some people think it will be good for the "rivalry." I think it will be quite negative.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And, Ellsbury is a huge loss for the Sox.

I don't know why they couldn't have paid him $153-million over seven years...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Yankees are willing to commit to paying for a few bad years later to get a few good years now, but the Sox aren't.

I guess they had enough of the overpaid years when a declining Jim Rice was the highest-paid player in the game. :)

I read an article on a Yankees blog this morning that went into detail about Ellsbury not being "injury-prone." Nearly all of his missed time has been a result of freak collisions with other players, not breakdown-type injuries.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Right. I haven't been one to think of Ellsbury as being one of those injury-prone players.

It looks like the Mariners have decided to overpay on Robinson Cano's services. (As a Sox fan, this makes me feel a lot less bad about the Ellsbury signing.) Ten years, $240-million. That's too much for too long.

My son the Yankee fan wrote me, "at that price, they can have him."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks