What's new

2012 MLB Regular Season and Post Season (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
But long enough.

And, another great Oriole/Yankee contest last night. Orioles win 2-1 in 13 innings. Compelling baseball. And leads to a decisive Game 5 today (practically a "day game" with a 5pm ET start ).

Girardi didn't work the same magic as he did the night before. He left A-Rod in the game and instead pinch-hit for a guy with a hot bat last night. Surprising.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I very much want the Orioles and Nationals to win their respective series. I hope Steven Strasburg has a great game. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season-and-post-season/120#post_3987714
I very much want the Orioles and Nationals to win their respective series. I hope Steven Strasburg has a great game.

I'm with you. Let's play all the games at RFK Stadium! I hope the president would throw out a first pitch.

We'll see today if either team even still has a shot to continue on.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
Well...so much for THAT!  :D
Another exciting night of baseball.  Some great drama in the Division Series this year. 
Agreed. The top of the ninth inning in the Cardinals - Nationals game was amazing.
And so we now have:
ALCS: Tigers - Yankees
NLCS: Cardinals - Giants
For the ALCS, this series could be interesting. The Tigers have arguably the best starting pitching of the remaining four teams. But once you get to that bullpen, all bets are off. Tigers in six.
In the NLCS, I don't see how the Cardinals will be stopped, but I really want the Giants to win. Cardinals in six.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a totally bizarre game last night with the Tigers and Yankees. I think Mr Valverde is toast for this postseason and Raul Ibanez has become an instant legend. I'm still glad the Tigers won, but I'm still numb.
I wonder if that foul ball off Jeter's foot in the other game hadn't already caused some weakening b/c when he fell my first thought was
that he had some sort of hairline fracture earlier and twisting in that odd way was the final straw. To say the least i'm not a Yankees fan
and I've never been a Jeter fanboy, but I have come to respect the man on so many levels over the last decade that I'm actually
sad for him and baseball in general.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...I told ya so.

Another postseason with some more bad calls from umpires that have all sorts of baseball pundits and fans (mostly casual?) up on their soapbox calling for "MORE REPLAY!"

I continue to believe that replay in baseball is a bad thing. And here's why:

For one there's no guarantee that replay will get a call right either. There was a recent HR call involving the Yankees with anotehr Jeffrey Maier-like moment that was ruled a HR that looked clearly as if it was touched in the field of play by a fan.

But most importantly, I hear Joe Girardi (and others) after the Infante play at 2nd base in Game #2 of the Tigers/Yankees ALCS saying the usual things: "We've got the technology. Why wouldn't we use it? We play all these games and get to this point only to have THIS happen? We need to get it right."

I understand his frustration. I still reference the 1999 "phantom tag" of Jose Offerman by Chuck Knoblauch whenever I get into these discussions. Do I wish the umps had not screwed that up? Sure. But I'm over it (well, mostly! ) and fear that the alternative of regular reviews of on-field plays would be worse.

They put the review of home runs in place and said that's as far as it would go. Then the inevitable happened. More high-profile bad calls which renews the call for replay expansion. The commissioner is already on record that MLB is working to make sure similar equipment is installed in all thirty ballparks to create a level playing field so that on-field plays will be able to be reviewed. They already are planning to review fair/foul.

Where will it end. To mix my sports metaphors, the down markers will continue to be moved down the field to include A, B & C. And then there'll be another high-profile call which will call for the inclusion of D, E & F. And so on.

Once we are reviewing plays at 2nd base, you just know that there will be that call in a close game 7 in which a home plate ump calls strike three on a pitch that was obviously out of the strike zone. Well, don't we want to get that right, too?!? Of course we do. After all, we've got the technology. We want to get it right.

I know there are people who think I am way off base (correct sports metaphor!) on this. There are those who say my presupposition that bad things would happen as a result of the replay is faulty and wouldn't necessarily happen.

But we are seeing that happen right now. Once the door is cracked open it will get wider and wider and wider.

Why would we still need umpires on the field? I'm still trying to figure out why there are still line judges at professional tennis matches. Don't they now defer to the computers on every close call?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,
I totally agree that there ought not to be any more replay in baseball than there already is, for many of the reasons you state above. Thankfully, as the Yankees were shut out, that erroneous call at second base had no effect on the outcome of the game. (The Tigers were leading 1-0 when it occurred.)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ockeghem /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season-and-post-season/120#post_3989200
Mike,
I totally agree that there ought not to be any more replay in baseball than there already is, for many of the reasons you state above. Thankfully, as the Yankees were shut out, that erroneous call at second base had no effect on the outcome of the game. (The Tigers were leading 1-0 when it occurred.)

Yeah...except that it's a whole lot different being down one run in the 9th inning of a game than being down three runs.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, and that call chased Kuroda from the game. They probably would have lost, but who knows? A couple of screwy calls tonight as well.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
For whom do you root in the sporting contest? I'm an AL, and I kind of like the Tigers, so that's where my loyalties lie. Plus, the Giants sent down my guys in defeat two years ago. :D
If I could put on my managerial cap, I'd tell the Giants that Justin Verlander puts his pants on one leg at a time, like everyone else. Of course, once his pants are on, he throws a complete nine-inning gem. And then he goes home and Kate Upton takes his pants off two legs at once. So have fun out there! :P

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good analysis, Greg! (Atta boy, Justin!)

Go TIgers! That combo of Cabrera/Fielder reminds me a lot of Ortiz/Ramirez. And they are surrounded by some other pretty talented guys.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season-and-post-season/120#post_3992890
Well, so much for Verlander's night.

Ya gotta figure Kate must've cut his legs out from under him, huh?!?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Oh dear, are they still hosting things like the "world series"? :confused:
Last I heard the relocated New York Giants were ahead 6 to 1.
Mike, since you live in New York state, why aren't you supporting the relocated New York Giants?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike Frezon said:
They abandoned us...just like dem Bums. 
You mean the El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles Trolley Dodgers? :confused:
Did you ever see Who Framed Rodger Rabbit? The trolleys in LA were gone years before the team showed up.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Being in the Bay Area and since the A's are no longer in it I'm a rootin' for them re-located bums! :D (the Giant ones)
That wasn't the same Verlander the A's faced, twice. Wasn't the same umpire behind the plate either.
I think the Giants are the kind of team that can give a pitcher like Verlander more trouble than most. The free swinging in-experienced A's weren't really a match for him. This is going to be a real good series. I think the Giants are going to have to beat Verlander again before this is over. That's going to be a tough task because you can't expect Zito to keep doing what he's done in his last two starts.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I'm an NL boy all the way so Go Giants! If the AL would play actual baseball maybe I could get behind one of their teams.

Users who are viewing this thread