What's new

2012 MLB Regular Season and Post Season (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The Phills open at home against the Royals. :rolleyes:
Anyway, Mike and app you should look at is the MLB AT BAT. If you buy it you can watch any game
Except for home team game. I think it might be really cheap now probably only five bucks.
I get it every year and at the all start break they put MLB TV on sale for $50 that's about one third the regular price.
MLB TV allows watching any game on your laptop, phone, and if you have a streaming device like a bluray player or Roku
You get the app for free and sign into your account and violá(is that spelled right?) any game on your tv.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I sure as hell don't want it for this year. The Sox just gave up six runs in the 9th the other night to lose to the Rays after Buchholz had pitched a gem.

No Sox on TV for me this year! I'll give it a thought for next year...but have been pretty happy with my MLB radio subscription. Real cheap and I don't feel like I'm wasting half my year glaring at baseball on the tube. With radio I feel like I can listen while doing other things.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's still $10 right now.
Mike, I was really thinking of a great Brian Regan standup routine where he talks about always being stuck sitting on the hump because his brother would always call shotgun. It got to where he would call the hump just to save face. Then, he talks about how vacations are different for the kids who have to face backwards. "I wonder what that sign says?" :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Still $10? anyway, the lite version (free) includes radio broadcasts.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't have a device that allows me to watch on my TV right now. I have a 360, but no gold subscription. Next year, I'll pay full price at the start and should have a way to watch on my TV (Wii U).

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season/60#post_3978377

I'm not pleased with MLB's plans for next year. That's right, I'm already paying attention to 2013...

Me too, as I am trying to plan some road trips during the holiday weekends next season.

I have a hard time believing that majority of owners are on board to keep the natural rivalry series, preventing from every team to have a balanced schedule amongst division rivals.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
And just like that, the Phils' playoff hopes just about dashed, as they are getting destroyed in the 2nd inning. And after the Cards won already! Anyway, I realize it would take a major miracle to get the 2nd wild card.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What an accomplishment by Miguel Cabrera. I believe he ought to get the MVP as well, although to me the Triple Crown is a far greater achievement.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8458298/detroit-tigers-miguel-cabrera-wins-first-triple-crown-1967
I remember Yaz's Triple Crown, as "The Impossible Dream" pretty much captivated everyone where I grew up when I was a child (about an hour from Boston).
BTW, during this last week of the MLB season, with so many spots and/or positionings up-for-grabs, I felt a similar atmosphere as that of the late 1960s and early 1970s. I think much of it has to do with the Athletics and Orioles being in the picture, as I was a follower of both teams back then. Now if I could only experience a daytime World Series game again.... ;)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Guess who had epic tickets for Tonight's Yankees/Orioles tie breaker game, should it be needed? All I needed was the Yankees to lose and Os to win last night and I'd have had butlered service behind home plate. Waaaah =(

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam Posten said:
Guess who had epic tickets for Tonight's Yankees/Orioles tie breaker game, should it be needed? All I needed was the Yankees to lose and Os to win last night and I'd have had butlered service behind home plate. Waaaah =(
Sam,
Should the Orioles win their one-game playoff, would you be able to use that ticket for one of their home games in the next series?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
BTW, during this last week of the MLB season, with so many spots and/or positionings up-for-grabs, I felt a similar atmosphere as that of the late 1960s and early 1970s. I think much of it has to do with the Athletics and Orioles being in the picture, as I was a follower of both teams back then. Now if I could only experience a daytime World Series game again....
Commissioner Frezon would bring back World Series day games...

Oh. And goodbye Bobby V.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
Since Yaz is the main reason I'm a Red Sox fan to begin with...I am a little disappointed that he is no longer the last Triple Crown Winner.  But, that's baseball.  Records get broken.  Every season I am hopeful that some schmoe will come along and hit safely in 57 consecutive games...  :D

Commissioner Frezon would bring back World Series day games...

Oh.  And goodbye Bobby V. 
Mike,

I had a couple of baseball cards of Yaz (not only the one where the bat is held over his shoulder, but I think I had a Triple Crown card the next year if I'm not mistaken).

I'm pleased to see Bobby Valentine go. We need a much more effective manager, and some solid starting pitching.

FWIW, I'd like me a 1971-1974 Catfish Hunter, a 1973 Ken Holtzman, and either a 1971 or 1975 Vida Blue, please. On second thought, you can just give me the 1973 starting pitching for the A's. ;) And you may as well throw in Blue Moon Odom, Mudcat Grant, and either Paul Lindblad or Diego Segui while you're at it. And it goes without saying that Rollie Fingers is on my team. :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
]

[/QUOTE]Mike,

So, what's your street address again? I just want to know for, uh, um, research purposes only. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I know I've said this here before...but my mom was kind enough to keep all of my baseball cards for me.

I snatched those pictures off the 'net. But I've got all those cards and a whole lot more!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike Frezon said:
:D
I know I've said this here before...but my mom was kind enough to keep all of my baseball cards for me. 
I snatched those pictures off the 'net.  But I've got all those cards and a whole lot more! 
Mike,
One of the exciting things about being a kid back then was buying baseball (and for me, all sports) cards. I collected baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards, as well as cards from several television series. As far as the baseball cards are concerned, I can remember back when you had no idea which cards were in a pack of (e.g.) ten. All you knew for sure was that you'd be getting some great bubble gum and probably a few 'repeat' cards. (This was long before the day when you could pick and choose which teams to purchase.) Do you remember trading cards with your friends? I can remember saying things like "I'll give you one Clete Boyer for an Eddie Brinkman," or "You've got two Joe Coleman or Willie Stargell cards, so can I give you a Curt Flood for one of them?" Good times. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My mom was also nice enough to keep my (Adam West) Batman cards! Comic book Batman cards, too!

And it seemed like in every pack of baseball cards I opened, I got at least ONE Dean Chance card!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I don't understahnd why people want World Series day games. Certainly not on Sunday afternoon because of the NFL games. The world series used to be day games and people who worked did not want day games because they can't see the games unless they were in the evening. So why do some people want WS as day games?

Being 6 hours time difference, if the WS game started at 13:00 (1PM) NYC time, I could watch the WS in the evening. So why do people now want WS day games?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mostly I think, so younger kids can actually see the games.
I remember watching WS games during the day when I was a kid and loved it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/319627/2012-mlb-regular-season/90#post_3984531
Mostly I think, so younger kids can actually see the games.

That's probably the biggest reason. And, as Tony says, there's lots of nostalgia for many of us about watching day WS games as kids.

What happens now, Sumnernor, is that the games have an 8pm ET start time. By the time line-ups, the national anthem, ceremonial first pitch, etc. are all done...it's about 8:25pm before the game begins. While you might think a standard nine inning game averages about 3 hours, they stick in extra TV commercials in-between innings...this makes the games take even longer. Score a lot of runs or go extra innings and games will definitely be played into the early morning hours. It's ridiculous. Regular season evening games start at 7:05 ET (first pitch).

But it's all about the TV $$$.

I'll never forget the '97 WS. I told my seven-year-old son that he could stay up and watch the entire final game even though it was a Sunday night (school the next day). That's right...I'm a cool dad. Um, it's GAME SEVEN of the World Series! He wasn't physically able to stay awake and had to go to bed anyway as he fell asleep. I'm a little fuzzy on this part of the story, but my VHS deck wasn't able to record the end of the game (can't remember the exact problem)...so I scored the rest of the game and went through the game with him bat-by-bat the next morning. This was an 11 inning game! Very exciting. It was close to 1am by the time it was done (4:10 was the length of the game).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks