What's new

2012 Emmy Nominees (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Am I the only one who thought the fake "In Memorium" thing was pretty disrespectful?
I thought so too, but the real "in Memorium" was one of the classiest in recent memory. By using Marvin Hamlisch's "The Way We Were", they avoided the recent trap of the "In Memorium" being more about the singer than the people being remembered. And it was nice to see Ron Howard say a few words about Andy Griffith.
"Homeland" far and away deserved to win Best Drama Series. "Modern Family" wasn't the best comedy series, but it was probably the best of the series nominated. I was very impressed with Julianne Moore's take on Sarah Palin, but otherwise I don't get the love for "Game Change". Both "American Horror Story" and "Sherlock" were executed far more successfully.
And man, they really wanted to bring this year's show in on time. Some of the winners barely got on stage before the music was cutting them off. They really sped up the last quarter of the show, and cutting off both the drama series winners and the comedy series winners when you're already on time just doesn't make much sense. Especially since ABC essentially just cut off its own top-rated show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
"Homeland" far and away deserved to win Best Drama Series.
I haven't seen it so I can't judge but it must be fucking amazing to have beaten out Breaking Bad, Mad Men and Boardwalk Empire. I was a huge fan of The X-Files and 24 so I really dig Howard Gordon's work so I'll have to finally check Homeland out.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Didn't watch the awards tonight, but yes - Homeland is an incredibly well written and acted show that I found to be one of the most involving and intelligent shows of the year. Recently re-visited the series on Blu-ray with a friend and was struck by how well it held up the second time. I've always liked Damian Lewis in everything including the way too short run of Life on NBC and his work in this series was as good as anything I can recall viewing. Very happy to hear that this excellent series did so well this evening.
- Walter.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Didn't watch the awards tonight, but yes - Homeland is an incredibly well written and acted show that I found to be one of the most involving and intelligent shows of the year. Recently re-visited the series on Blu-ray with a friend and was struck by how well it held up the second time. I've always liked Damian Lewis in everything including the way too short run of Life on NBC and his work in this series was as good as anything I can recall viewing. Very happy to hear that this excellent series did so well this evening.
- Walter.
I've seen clips from this and interviews with Damian Lewis, will have to rent this, sounds like a very well done show.
As usual I pick the wrong pay channel. For several years had Showtime but Dish talked me into HBO when I dumped Comcast. The only original programming I seem to find is "True Blood" which I find very disturbing and stopped watching last year. Showtime had lots of great shows, "Nurse Jackie", "Dexter" and others that I miss. I'm stuck with HBO for another six months, but might just go back to Showtime after that.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The only award that really shocked me from the major categories was Jon Cryer for Two-and-a-Half Men. I don't get the love. When he won the supporting actor trophy three years ago, I was likewise baffled.

Very enthused about the Homeland wins, especially Damian Lewis who had been shut out of all of the other TV awards this year (Golden Globes, SAG, TV Critics Association). Alas, I had put in to review the Homeland Blu-ray set, but Fox only had a limited number of review copies, and we didn't win the lottery (we got Sons of Anarchy instead). Maybe next year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
The only award that really shocked me from the major categories was Jon Cryer for Two-and-a-Half Men. I don't get the love. When he won the supporting actor trophy three years ago, I was likewise baffled.
Same here. I guess you have to chalk it up to the Academy having a different sense of humor than you or I. Though maybe in the case of Jon Cryer, they wanted to give him the award since he had to deal with Charlie Sheen for nearly a decade. :)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I had no idea that the Emmy's were even on last night. Awards shows have really lost their luster for me - I used to never miss and than I guess I just got cynical.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
ChristopherG said:
I had no idea that the Emmy's were even on last night.  Awards shows have really lost their luster for me - I used to never miss and than I guess I just got cynical.
My opinion is very similar. I knew it was on, but also becoming a bit cynical and don't watch them much any more.
Just easier and much faster to read things here or catch a few clips of the highlights on other sites.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Homeland is a great show; otherwise, they wouldn't be winning over Breaking Bad and Mad Men. But the biggest impression it made on me last night was that everyone who works on it is slightly cunty.
And when stacked up against the towering likes of Louie and Parks and Rec, Modern Family continues to not be funny. (Do they actually even WATCH the Parks and Rec screeners, I wonder?)
Favorite part of what I caught was probably Aziz delivering his entire presentation using a British accent (à la the Lil' Sebastian funeral-episode).
Camera cuts over to Clive Owen, cackling like mad.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I ended up watching Sunday Night Football because I wanted to see the debacle known as NFL "Officiating" in prime time. And I was not disappointed, and less so that if I had watched the Emmys and my favorite shows lost to IMHO lesser shows. :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Modern Family continues to not be funny
Modern Family not funny? We obviously have different tastes, I think it's one of the best shows on television. Missed the first season, but finally gave it a try after all the constant hype about it and have loved it ever since.
I'd put it in the same league with Arrested Development and What about Ted? Both cancelled way to soon.
Parks and Rec I saw maybe three times when it first started and thought it was awful. Maybe I'll have to rent it and give it another try.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Stan said:
Parks and Rec I saw maybe three times when it first started and thought it was awful. Maybe I'll have to rent it and give it another try.
The first season (which was only 6 episodes) is not indicative of the rest of the series. They made some adjustments going into the second season and the show has been great since the first episode of S2.
Not that it's that a bad show but I don't get all the love for Modern Family either. That being said, comedy is the most "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" of all genres so what works for some viewers isn't going to work for others.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
The first season (which was only 6 episodes) is not indicative of the rest of the series. They made some adjustments going into the second season and the show has been great since the first episode of S2.
Not that it's that a bad show but I don't get all the love for Modern Family either. That being said, comedy is the most "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" of all genres so what works for some viewers isn't going to work for others.
I definitely will give Parks and Rec another shot. If it's been running this long, must be fairly decent.
As you said, what works for some doesn't for others. I love Modern Family. Ty Burrell and Julie Bowen are my favorites and the child actors could easily steal the show. The kids who play Manny and Luke get some of the best dialogue, very subtle, but well worth watching.
Then of course there is Sofia Vergara, pure eye candy but also great with the comedy.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Stan said:
Modern Family not funny? We obviously have different tastes, I think it's one of the best shows on television. Missed the first season, but finally gave it a try after all the constant hype about it and have loved it ever since.
I'd put it in the same league with Arrested Development and What about Ted? Both cancelled way to soon.
"Not funny" when stacked up head-to-head against shows like Louie and Parks and Rec, I meant, there -- it's a good show in its own right, to be sure, but hardly the absolute cutting-edge of television comedy that some Emmy-voters seem to think it is.
Steven Levitan always writes a competent, well-produced show, and it's hugely better than crap like Partners (and 90% of the rest of the new dreck we're getting with this fall season), but shows like Louie are where the true innovation is happening, at the moment.
Not to put Modern Family down, necessarily -- like Travis said, comedy is such a personally-subjective thing for each individual, and I won't begrudge Family its due, either, especially when compared to the lazier, fly-by-night shows that come and go so quickly with each new fall schedule.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I think Modern Family is funny, but it's a shallow kind of funny. Josh, I've poked at this hornet's nest before. They sting.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I find Modern Family has a very good wit to it. The jokes are often clever and very funny. The plots, however, are very pedestrian and uninteresting. Or they'll go with stunt casting, like having Ellen Barkin be a rival real estate agent. Or the horrible product placement eps like the iPad ep, and when they spent the day at Disneyland. I laugh at the show, but I don't think it's that good of a show. That they feel the need to nominate the entire cast for Emmy's drives me nuts.

My wife hated Parks and Rec so we stopped watching it. I decided to start watching it again and she suddenly 'got' it. She loves it now.

Just started watching Louie CK a few weeks back. Great show. I need to catch up with it. (my wife doesn't get it despite my insisting it was well written. that it won multiple emmy's completely validated my opinion. HA! she still doesn't get it, tho)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Parks & Recreation" is far and away the best comedy on TV, in my opinion. There are several other comedies I'd rank above "Modern Family." But of the five nominated, I do think "Modern Family was the best.
I also think Ed O'Neill was far more deserving than Eric Stonestreet among the supporting actor nominees. It still boggles my mind that Nick Offerman has never been nominated for playing Ron Swanson, when he should carry it away every single year. I'd also put Chris Pratt as more deserving than all of the actual nominees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks