What's new

2012 Emmy Nominees (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Drama Series: "Boardwalk Empire," HBO; "Breaking Bad," AMC; "Downton Abbey," PBS; "Game of Thrones," HBO; "Homeland," Showtime; "Mad Men," AMC.

Comedy Series: "The Big Bang Theory," CBS; "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO; "Girls," HBO; "Modern Family," ABC; "30 Rock," NBC; "Veep," HBO.

Miniseries or Made-for-TV Movie: "American Horror Story," FX Networks; "Game Change," HBO; "Hatfields & McCoys," History; "Hemingway & Gellhorn," HBO; "Luther," BBC America; "Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia (Masterpiece)," PBS.

Actor, Drama Series: Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire," HBO; Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad," AMC; Michael C. Hall, "Dexter," Showtime; Hugh Bonneville, "Downton Abbey," PBS; Damian Lewis, "Homeland," Showtime; Jon Hamm, "Mad Men," AMC.

Actress, Drama Series: Glenn Close, "Damages," DirecTV; Michelle Dockery, "Downton Abbey," PBS; Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife," CBS; Kathy Bates, "Harry's Law," NBC; Claire Danes, "Homeland," Showtime; Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men," AMC.

Supporting Actor, Drama Series: Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad," AMC; Giancarlo Esposito, "Breaking Bad," AMC; Brendan Coyle, "Downton Abbey," PBS; Jim Carter, "Downton Abbey," PBS; Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones," HBO; Jared Harris, "Mad Men," AMC.

Supporting Actress, Drama Series: Anna Gunn, "Breaking Bad," AMC; Maggie Smith, "Downton Abbey," PBS; Joanne Froggatt, "Downton Abbey," PBS; Archie Panjabi, "The Good Wife," CBS; Christine Baranski, "The Good Wife," CBS; Christina Hendricks, "Mad Men," AMC.

Actor, Comedy Series: Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory," CBS; Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO; Don Cheadle, "House of Lies," Showtime; Louis C.K., "Louie," FX Networks; Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock," NBC; Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men," CBS.

Actress, Comedy Series: Lena Dunham, "Girls," HB0: Melissa McCarthy, "Mike & Molly," CBS; Zooey Deschanel, "New Girl," Fox; Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie," Showtime; "Parks and Recreation," NBC; Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation," NBC; Tina Fey, "30 Rock," NBC; Julia Louis-Dreyfus,
"Veep, HBO.

Supporting Actor, Comedy Series: Ed O'Neill, "Modern Family," ABC; Jesse Tyler Ferguson, "Modern Family," ABC; Ty Burrell, "Modern Family," ABC; Eric Stonestreet, "Modern Family," ABC; Max Greenfield, "New Girl," Fox; Bill Hader, "Saturday Night Live," NBC.

Supporting Actress, Comedy Series: Mayim Bialik, "The Big Bang Theory," CBS; Kathryn Joosten, "Desperate Housewives," ABC; Julie Bowen, "Modern Family," ABC; Sofia Vergara, "Modern Family," ABC; Merritt Wever, "Nurse Jackie," Showtime; Kristen Wiig, "Saturday Night Live," NBC.

Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Woody Harrelson, "Game Change," HBO; Kevin Costner, "Hatfields & McCoys," History; Bill Paxton, "Hatfields & McCoys," History; Clive Owen, "Hemingway & Gellhorn," HBO; Idris Elba, "Luther," BBC America; Benedict Cumberbatch, "Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia (Masterpiece)," PBS.

Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Connie Britton, "American Horror Story," FX Networks; Julianne Moore, "Game Change," HBO; Nicole Kidman, "Hemingway & Gellhorn," HBO; Ashley Judd, "Missing," ABC; Emma Thompson, "The Song of Lunch (Masterpiece), PBS.

Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Denis O'Hare, "American Horror Story," FX Networks; Ed Harris, "Game Change," HBO; Tom Berenger, "Hatfields & McCoys," History; David Strathairn, "Hemingway & Gellhorn," HBO; Martin Freeman, "Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia (Masterpiece)," PBS.

Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Frances Conroy, "American Horror Story," FX Networks; Jessica Lange, "American Horror Story," FX Networks; Sarah Paulson, "Game Change," HBO; Mare Winningham, "Hatfields & McCoys," History; Judy Davis, "Page Eight (Masterpiece)," PBS.

Reality Program: "Antiques Roadshow," PBS; "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution," ABC; "MythBusters," Discovery Channel; "Undercover Boss," CBS; "Who Do You Think You Are?," NBC.

Reality-Competition Program: "The Amazing Race," CBS; "Dancing With the Stars," ABC; "Project Runway," Lifetime; "So You Think You Can Dance," Fox; "Top Chef," Bravo; "The Voice," NBC.

Variety, Music or Comedy Series: "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central; "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart," Comedy Central; "Jimmy Kimmel Live," ABC; "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon," NBC; "Real Time With Bill Maher," HBO; "Saturday Night Live," NBC.

Children's Program: "Degrassi," TeenNick; "Good Luck Charlie," Disney Channel; "iCarly," Nickelodeon; "Victorious," Nickelodeon; "Wizards Of Waverly Place," Disney Channel.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love Mad Men (and this season was one of their best) but Breaking Bad had such an amazing year that they deserve to win it. I don't know if he'll win again but Aaron Paul was so good that I'd even say that he turned in the best performance on a show of truly great performances.
I had seen that American Horror Story was being entered as a mini-series but that's a crock. Despite changing most of the cast and story, the series is coming back so it shouldn't be considered a mini-series or a TV movie.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/322400/2012-emmy-nominees#post_3951019
I had seen that American Horror Story was being entered as a mini-series but that's a crock. Despite changing most of the cast and story, the series is coming back so it shouldn't be considered a mini-series or a TV movie.

That's a head scratcher for me as well, along with Missing now being looked upon as a mini-series. I guess they really needed something to fill some of those spots.

I have to admit, I was a little surprised to see Giancarlo Esposito getting a nomination. But it's also nice to see.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thrilled to See: "Game of Thrones" up for Best Drama again;
"Homeland" up for Best Drama;
all of the nominations for "American Horror Story" and "Sherlock";
no major nominations for "Glee";
Dot-Marie Jones nominated for best guest actress as Coach Shannon Beiste on "Glee", the only member of the cast that deserved a nomination this year;
Damian Lewis up for best actor for "Homeland";
Julianna Margulies up for best actress, Archie Panjabi and Christine Baranski both nominated for supporting actress on "The Good Wife";
Peter Dinklage nominated again for "Game of Thrones," I hope he goes two for two;
Julianne Moore nominated for "Game Change," her performance was far better than the movie it was in;
Martha Plimpton nominated for guest actress as Patti Nyholm on "The Good Wife";
Joan Cusack nominated for guest actress as Sheila Jackson on "Shameless";
Dylan Baker and Michael J. Fox nominated for guest actor as Colin Sweeney and Louis Canning respectively for "The Good Wife";
Jeremy Davies as Dickie Bennett nominated for guest actor as Dickie Bennett on "Justified";
Would Have Liked to Have Seen: Hugh Laurie get a best actor nomination for the final season of "House";
Robert Sean Leonard get a best supporting actor nomination for the final season of "House";
Eden Sher get nominated for Best Supporting Actress on "The Middle";
Dylan McDermott get nominated for Best Actor and Evan Peters for Best Supporting Actor on "American Horror Story";
Timothy Olyphant and Natalie Zea up for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress for their stellar work on "Justified"
Disgusted to See: "Mad Men" nominated again while "The Good Wife" and "Justifed" got snubbed for Best Drama;
"The Big Bang Theory" got nominated for Best Comedy but "Parks & Recreation" (the best comedy on television) did not;
Kathy Bates nominated for "Harry's Law" while Emmy Rossum snubbed for "Shameless";
Jon Cryer got nominated yet again for "Two and a Half Men" over so many more deserving candidates, especially Garrett Dillahunt on "Raising Hope";
Half the male cast of "Modern Family" up yet again for supporting actor while Chris Pratt, Adam Scott and especially Nick Offerman get snubbed;
Walton Goggins snubbed for supporting actor, though I don't know whose slot I'd have given him.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I think it's a lot more legitimate than "Downton Abbey's" first season being entered as a miniseries. Except for the title and the writing staff and a few actors, "American Horror Story" is going to be a completely different show every season. The first season told a complete, finite, limited story.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
I think it's a lot more legitimate than "Downton Abbey's" first season being entered as a miniseries. Except for the title and the writing staff and a few actors, "American Horror Story" is going to be a completely different show every season. The first season told a complete, finite, limited story.
To me, the only thing that should qualify as a mini-series is something that isn't an continuing series. American Horror Story and Luther are both ongoing so they shouldn't be in the mini-series/telemovie category. It's not hard to imagine that the biggest reason AHS went in as a mini-series was so that more than Jessica Lange could win an Emmy.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
No Lena Headey, no Charles Dance, no Alfie Allen, and especially no Maisie Williams. Bullshit has been called.
Also, John Noble gets robbed every year for Fringe. And, really -- American Horror Story?? Reclassifying yourself as a "mini-series" to score some easy Emmy nods? Twelve episodes qualifies you as a mini-series? That's pretty fricking cheap.
The stunner for me: Margaret Cho for Guest Actress on a Comedy for her MAD TV-level impersonation of Kim Jong-Il on 30 Rock (a show which I otherwise loved this season)? Yeesh.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There are so many quality drama series on television now that something had to be overlooked but did it HAVE to be The Good Wife? And I fully expected Carrie Preston to score a Guest Actress nomination for her Elsbeth role on the show. Couldn't believe she was overlooked.

Furious over the continued exclusion of John Noble, and while I love Kathy Bates, I'd much rather have seen Kyra Sedgwick in the category.

Yep, Jon Cryer has no business with a nomination at the exclusion of other talents more worthy.

I couldn't believe Archer didn't score a nomination for animated series!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I kinda wonder why was Dinklage relegated to the "supporting" category? Did he not receive top billing for the second season? Or was that just because they figured it would improve his chances? Though with a series so overstuffed with characters, I guess you could make a case that everyone on that show is a supporting actor.
In more general terms, I'm thinking it's an ego-thing with the actors. That's why Modern Family puts everyone in "supporting," when Julie Bowen and Ty Burrell should be "leads."
(I'd even say all the adults should be put in the Lead Actor category, and the kid actors in Supporting. It's a bit easier to get a supporting nom. Unless you happen to be Nick Offerman or Donald Glover.)
Rule of thumb: if you ever see a questionable category-placement for an actor, it's always the result of tactical strategy on the part of the studio to get as many nominations as possible.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Also, John Noble gets robbed every year for Fringe.
MattH. said:
Furious over the continued exclusion of John Noble...
I watch and enjoy Fringe (though I don't love it the way that others do) but I completely agree. John Noble's performance is always exceptional but this year, you got to see even more from him as an actor since Walternate had more screentime. Sci-fi rarely gets recognized so it's not that surprising. I guess the upside is that every casting director in Hollywood knows that he's done such good work on Fringe that he'll never stop working for the rest of his career.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/322400/2012-emmy-nominees#post_3951105
Disgusted to See: "Mad Men" nominated again while "The Good Wife" and "Justifed" got snubbed for Best Drama;
"The Big Bang Theory" got nominated for Best Comedy but "Parks & Recreation" (the best comedy on television) did not;
Kathy Bates nominated for "Harry's Law" while Emmy Rossum snubbed for "Shameless";
Jon Cryer got nominated yet again for "Two and a Half Men" over so many more deserving candidates, especially Garrett Dillahunt on "Raising Hope";
Half the male cast of "Modern Family" up yet again for supporting actor while Chris Pratt, Adam Scott and especially Nick Offerman get snubbed;
Walton Goggins snubbed for supporting actor, though I don't know whose slot I'd have given him.

I have to say, some of these I agree with, some I disagree with.. Emmy Rossum getting snubbed vs. Kathy Bates I absolutely agree. Rossum has been phenomenal in that. I thought "The Good Wife" should be nominated, but the weak one of the bunch to me was Boardwalk Empire. I thought Mad Men was very strong this year; I think it's between it and Homeland (IMHO)
Anything out of 2.5 men nominated is bad news for me.. I never "got" that show

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
To me, the only thing that should qualify as a mini-series is something that isn't an continuing series. American Horror Story and Luther are both ongoing so they shouldn't be in the mini-series/telemovie category. It's not hard to imagine that the biggest reason AHS went in as a mini-series was so that more than Jessica Lange could win an Emmy.
I can't definitely see where you're coming from, and there's definitely an argument to be made against its inclusion in the category. I guess my stance is based on the idea that, if you called the second season by a different title, it would stand as an independent miniseries.
joshEH said:
No Lena Headey, no Charles Dance, no Alfie Allen, and especially no Maisie Williams. Bullshit has been called.
I forgot about Maisie Williams she definitely got robbed of nomination. Perhaps the best actress on TV right now, and certainly the best actress under 20.
The stunner for me: Margaret Cho for Guest Actress on a Comedy for her MAD TV-level impersonation of Kim Jong-Il on 30 Rock (a show which I otherwise loved this season)? Yeesh.
I've never "gotten" Margaret Cho. I don't find her stand up particularly funny, and most of the film roles I've seen her in have been "meh."
MattH. said:
There are so many quality drama series on television now that something had to be overlooked but did it HAVE to be The Good Wife? And I fully expected Carrie Preston to score a Guest Actress nomination for her Elsbeth role on the show. Couldn't believe she was overlooked.
You could fill the guest actor and actress drama categories entirely with "Good Wife" guest stars without feeling like anybody else was cheated. Preston definitely deserved the nod, but since the Kings clearly love her character hopefully next season ("True Blood" schedule permitting) will give her lots of further opportunities to shine.
For that matter, where is her husband Michael Emerson's nomination for "Person of Interest"?
joshEH said:
I kinda wonder why was Dinklage relegated to the "supporting" category? Did he not receive top billing for the second season? Or was that just because they figured it would improve his chances? Though with a series so overstuffed with characters, I guess you could make a case that everyone on that show is a supporting actor.
Dinklage and/or the show chose which category to nominate him in. I think he definitely qualifies as a supporting character. Sean Bean (in the first season) and
Emilia Clarke are the only two performances that really qualify as "lead" in my mind for "Game of Thrones".
TravisR said:
I watch and enjoy Fringe (though I don't love it the way that others do) but I completely agree. John Noble's performance is always exceptional but this year, you got to see even more from him as an actor since Walternate had more screentime. Sci-fi rarely gets recognized so it's not that surprising. I guess the upside is that every casting director in Hollywood knows that he's done such good work on Fringe that he'll never stop working for the rest of his career.
This should have made it in my disgusted list. I absolutely agree with you, John and Josh. The best performance of the season. Walter's conversation with Walternate before the bridge between the universes closed alone would have been reason to hand him the statue.
mattCR said:
I thought "The Good Wife" should be nominated, but the weak one of the bunch to me was Boardwalk Empire. I thought Mad Men was very strong this year; I think it's between it and Homeland (IMHO)
I didn't watch either show, so I'm sure you're right. I was just going by the grumbling I heard about the latest season of "Mad Men."

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by joshEH /t/322400/2012-emmy-nominees#post_3951017
It looks like the only love Justified received is Jeremy Davies for "Guest Actor, Drama Series."

Pretty ridiculous that McDonough and/or Mykelti Williamson didn't get consideration. 'Justified' the show itself is probably hard to categorize which may be why it got snubbed.

Every main player in 'Breaking Bad' should have been nominated including Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn, Aaron Paul, Dean Norris, RJ Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks & Giancarlo Esposito.

And I don't understand the lack of love for the best comedy on TV, 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia'.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/322400/2012-emmy-nominees#post_3951339
I didn't watch either show, so I'm sure you're right. I was just going by the grumbling I heard about the latest season of "Mad Men."

No, he's not right. 'Boardwalk Empire' was definitely one of the better shows of the year.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by ScottH /t/322400/2012-emmy-nominees#post_3952197

No, he's not right. 'Boardwalk Empire' was definitely one of the better shows of the year.

I think to each there own. I thought Boardwalk Empire was good.. but I wouldn't put it on par with other nominees. (JMHO)

In the end, I will be rooting for Homeland.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My picks for tonight, given the nominees we're stuck with:
Outstanding Drama Series
First Choice: Homeland
Second Choice: Game of Thrones
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
First Choice: Damian Lewis, Homeland
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
First Choice: Claire Danes, Homeland
Second Choice: Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
First Choice: Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Outstanding Comedy Series
First Choice: Modern Family
Second Choice: Veep
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
First Choice: Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Second Choice: Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
First Choice: Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Second Choice: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
First Choice: Ed O'Neill, Modern Family
Second Choice: Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
First Choice: Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Second Choice: Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series
First Choice: Steven Levitan, Modern Family ("Baby On Board")
Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series
First Choice: Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation ("The Debate")
Second Choice: Michael Schur, Parks and Recreation ("Win, Lose, Or Draw")
Honorable Mention: Chris McKenna, Community ("Remedial Chaos Theory")
Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series
First Choice: Michael Cuesta, Homeland ("Pilot")
Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
First Choice: Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon, Homeland ("Pilot")
Outstanding Miniseries or Movie
First Choice: American Horror Story
Second Choice: Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
First Choice: Julianne Moore, Game Change
Second Choice: Connie Britton, American Horror Story
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
First Choice: Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
First Choice: Martin Freeman, Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia
Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries or Movie
First Choice: Paul McGuigan, Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia
Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries or Movie
First Choice: Steven Moffat, Sherlock: A Scandal in Belgravia

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I listed what/who I wouldn't mind seeing win (in order of what I consider them to be best):
Drama Series:
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
Comedy Series:
Girls
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Actor, Drama Series:
Bryan Cranston "Breaking Bad"
Jon Hamm "Mad Men"
Steve Buscemi "Boardwalk Empire"
Actress, Drama Series:
Elisabeth Moss "Mad Men"
Supporting Actor, Drama Series:
Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad"
Giancarlo Esposito, "Breaking Bad"
Jared Harris, "Mad Men"
Supporting Actress, Drama Series:
Anna Gunn "Breaking Bad"
Christina Hendricks "Mad Men"
Actor, Comedy Series:
Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm"
Louis C.K. "Louie"
Alec Baldwin "30 Rock"
Actress, Comedy Series:
Amy Poehler "Parks and Recreation"
Lena Dunham "Girls"
Tina Fey "30 Rock"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus "Veep"
Writing, Comedy Series:
Michael Schur "Parks and Recreation" Win, Lose Or Draw
Amy Poehler "Parks and Recreation" The Debate
Writing, Drama Series:
Semi Chellas and Matthew Weiner "Mad Men" The Other Woman
Andre Andre Jacquemetton & Maria Jacquemetton "Mad Men" Comissions And Fees
Directing, Comedy Series:
Lena Dunham "Girls" She Did
Robert B. Weide "Curb Your Enthusiasm" Palestinian Chicken
Directing, Drama Series:
Tim Van Patten "Boardwalk Empire" To The Lost
Vince Gilligan "Breaking Bad" Face Off
Phil Abraham "Mad Men" The Other Woman
While it may look like I only watched Mad Men and Breaking Bad, those were the best.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
So glad to see Homeland doing so well.

Am I the only one who thought the fake "In Memorium" thing was pretty disrespectful?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks