What's new

2012 Box Office (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean it's a good time for me to finally sell the copy of "Avengers" issue 1 I've owned for 30 years?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
Does this mean it's a good time for me to finally sell the copy of "Avengers" issue 1 I've owned for 30 years? :D
Sadly, I'm going to suggest you get it CGC graded and slabbed, it'll make it easier to sell nowadays.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Revised estimate to 207.1 million now. WOW.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/avenger-update-205m-record-domestic/

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
As always, it'll be interesting to see if this results in more 'team' superhero movies cranked out as quickly as possible, or if it will result in more well-written movies created by people who love and understand the source material, and know how to make it translate to the screen.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Greg_D_R said:
As always, it'll be interesting to see if this results in more 'team' superhero movies cranked out as quickly as possible, or if it will result in more well-written movies created by people who love and understand the source material, and know how to make it translate to the screen.
Not the latter because that takes years of planning and work. If DC wanted to replicate the success of The Avengers, they would have to start the setup next year and the movie wouldn't be out for 5 years. I'm with others that think Nolan's Batman does not work in the JLA universe so Batman would need a reboot to fit. But maybe Aquaman would then get the movie deal he deserves :).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Nope. I don't think it leads to more team based action movies.. I don't remember Fantastic Four lighting the world on fire.
What it tells you is: get someone who understands comic book storylines to write a comic book movie, and go all in and commit. That's good news for people like Favreau/Whedon.. hell, Kevin Smith might even get thrown a bone..

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
mattCR said:
What it tells you is:   get someone who understands comic book storylines to write a comic book movie, and go all in...
That's what it tells YOU (and all reasonable folk), but not necessarily what studio bosses will see.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck Anstey said:
Not the latter because that takes years of planning and work. If DC wanted to replicate the success of The Avengers, they would have to start the setup next year and the movie wouldn't be out for 5 years. I'm with others that think Nolan's Batman does not work in the JLA universe so Batman would need a reboot to fit. But maybe Aquaman would then get the movie deal he deserves :).
mattCR said:
Nope.  I don't think it leads to more team based action movies.. I don't remember Fantastic Four lighting the world on fire.  
What it tells you is:   get someone who understands comic book storylines to write a comic book movie, and go all in and commit.   That's good news for people like Favreau/Whedon.. hell, Kevin Smith might even get thrown a bone..
And in truth, even if they take all the right lessons from the Avengers, they may not make this kind of money, because frankly, this movie and its success, is kind of a miracle. But if they take all the right lessons from the Avengers, and apply them, they will definitely have good movies, and that is encouraging.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Greg_D_R said:
And in truth, even if they take all the right lessons from the Avengers, they may not make this kind of money, because frankly, this movie and its success, is kind of a miracle.
The miracle isn't that a movie made this kind of money, the miracle is they made a movie worthy of this kind of money. This is a subtle but important distinction. It isn't "random luck" or random audience preferences The Avengers is making the money it is. This success was years in the making starting with Iron Man 1 where it was shown that if you treat the character well with a good entertaining story you can make a good amount of money with a secondary character without a mega-budget. Create a few more movies and people will be excited for the big spectacular team up movie if it delivers the goods.
But if they take all the right lessons from the Avengers, and apply them, they will definitely have good movies, and that is encouraging.
I totally agree that we could see some good solid movies going forward.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I agree with Chuck. They were gonna make money no matter what. But they invested in the concept early, they spent real time on casting and character, and they got the right team together to make the big one. So now they are going to make dumb money because they did it right.
Script matters, planning matters, and patience matters.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
And two box office records will fall this weekend:
Avengers will have - or will be VERY close to a $100M second weekend, it will shatter the next runner up (Avatar's) $75M second weekend, suffering only a 53% drop.. that's INSANE in a film that grossed $200M on a front weekend.. almost everyone thought a 70% drop would be "reasonable" considering how front loaded this was; but a 53% drop??? Unheard of. Astonishing.

Here's the next record that's about to fall: Avengers will cross $1B on Sunday or Monday, making it the fastest film to $1B in box office history.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think there's "a crowd attracts a crowd" thing going on. When the news is reporting on The Avengers making a zillion dollars, it grabs even more people's interest and makes them want to see what the hype is about. Not to mention, the repeat business since it's a cool movie.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Here's the next record that's about to fall:  Avengers will cross $1B on Sunday or Monday, making it the fastest film to $1B in box office history.
An Avatar fan is arguing otherwise (he's counting the overseas release as the opening date for Avengers).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
RobertR said:
An Avatar fan is arguing otherwise (he's counting the overseas release as the opening date for Avengers).
That would make sense when making records comparisons for worldwide grosses.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I think there's "a crowd attracts a crowd" thing going on. When the news is reporting on The Avengers making a zillion dollars, it grabs even more people's interest and makes them want to see what the hype is about. Not to mention, the repeat business since it's a cool movie.
Absolutely. I went to see it with a friend(huge Marvel comics fanatic) that has seen it four times already. Word of mouth of a really good film, and as you mention the attention it gets for breaking box office records factor greatly into it I think.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw it on the real Imax screen on Thursday night (we feared that Dark Shadows was going to knock it off the Imax screen, but that theater came to its senses and is time-sharing their Imax screen with 3 daily showings each of The Avengers and Dark Shadows this week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks