What's new

2011 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
10. Midnight In Paris (Sony Classics) Week 9 [819 Theaters] Friday $790K, Saturday $1.1M, Weekend $2.6M, Cume $385M
That's quite a total for a Woody Allen film. :)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Doh! Forgot the point in there. That should say $38.7 million. And yes it is a helluva gross for a Woody Allen movie. In fact, 'Midnight' will mark only the second time a film directed by Allen has earned more than $40 million domestically, joining 1986's "Hannah & Her Sisters" which tallied $40.1 million (that would be about $85 million in today's marketplace). 'Midnight' will go on to become the most successful movie the Oscar-winner has helmed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
TerryRL said:
Doh! Forgot the point in there. That should say $38.7 million. And yes it is a helluva gross for a Woody Allen movie.
Since it's Woody Allen, I figured the typo was that Midnight In Paris had made $3.87 million. $38.7 million makes it the Transformers of Woody Allen pictures. :)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/final-harry-potter-already-wrecking-records/ I've learned that Warner Bros is giving Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 a mega-release into 4,375 theaters and over 11,000 screens alone on Friday. This will make it the widest domestic Harry Potter release of all time. The film will be shown in 3,000 3D locations, which constitutes a motion picture industry record, and on 4,250 3D screens. It will play at 274 IMAX venues, another industry record, as well as 120 Premium Large Format cinemas, also an industry record, and 270 drive-ins, another industry record. When the pic opens at Thursday midnight, Part II will be playing in at least 3,800 theaters. But I'm told that number is climbing by the hour. Already Warner Bros naticipates 300 Harry Potter marathons playing all seven of the movies ending at midnight Thursday with the 8th unreeling. There are 1,100 theaters planning to play HP 7A into 7B that midnight. "We are positioned to exceed the largest Harry Potter opening box office of all time," a Warner Bros top exec tells me confidently. Remember, it's already the largest-grossing franchise in motion picture history. It's still only Wednesday morning -- but Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part II is already Fandango's top ticket-seller of 2011 with 48 hours to spare. Fandango just told me it has sold more tickets for the 3D pic than it has sold for any other movie this year, including pre-release and post-release ticket sales for The Hangover Part II, Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, and Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. The Harry Potter franchise finale has already sold out more than 5,000 showtimes across the country before its official Friday opening, and theater owners keep adding screenings to keep up with fan demand in all 50 states. Right now the pic is trending to become the all-time #2 pre-seller in Fandango's 11-year history, following only 2009's The Twilight Saga: New Moon. This final adventure is currently conjuring up 91% of Fandango's daily ticket sales. "It's our fastest-selling movie of the year and our best-selling Potter movie of all time," Fandango EVP and General Manager Rick Butler says in a statement. "The first Potter helped put advance ticketing on the map in 2001, so it's fitting that the grand finale would break records with fans on our Web site and mobile applications." ---Nikki Finke

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know there were 270 drive-ins left in the US. I thought they were pretty much relegated to the Northeast and the West Coast at this point.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No, there are several drive ins in Kansas. I can think of a few.. though one was destroyed in the Joplin tornado.

HP7B is my most awaited title of the year.

Someone gave this as a review and it's true:

No special effect in any film that can be remembered can match this feat: over the years, we've watched these kids grow up on screen from little kids into the adults they are. No special effect in the world can match the casting miracle of having that work as perfectly as it did.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
HP7B is my most awaited title of the year.
I think it's going to live up to the hype for you. I'm more of a casual fan of Harry Potter (read the books once and enjoyed the movies but it was never a huge thing for me) and I thought it was, by far, the best movie of the series. I would imagine that most will be very happy with the movie. I also assume that many fans will see it multiple times (hopefully, J.K. Rowling will finally get some much needed cash :) ).

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Got my tickets already and easily my most anticipated film since Revenge Of The Sith. Simply cannot wait until 10:50pm Friday night! Hope HP-DH 2 does a HUGE intake.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/final-harry-potter-already-wrecking-records/ Warner Bros said today that Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2 grossed $43.5M last night from 3,800 North American locations helped by higher 3D ticket prices, shattering the previous midnight screenings record of $30M set by Twilight Saga: Eclipse which was only a 2D movie. IMAX set another record midnight of $2M for the 3D franchise finale helpe. The franchise finale also scored 97% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. "Records will fly out the window this weekend," a studio exec is predicting. "All 3D theaters sold out to excellent reactions." The global cume is now $$105.1M and counting...---Nikki Finke

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/final-harry-potter-already-wrecking-records/ As a Warner Bros exec tells me, "Unbelievable night!" Sources say Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2 will fly past $95M in the U.S. and Canada today (including that record-setting $43.5M from midnight showings) and even has an outside chance of reaching $100M. ("That would be really hard....but a huge West Coast result could get us close.") No matter, it still crushes the record for best single-day box office. "Almost impossible to say how big other than the biggest ever," gushed a rival studio exec. The franchise finale is definitely on the way to the biggest 3-day weekend ever of $180M beating the other gold standard Dark Knight's $158.4M by a lot. And the good news just keeps coming. Part 2 scored an overall CinemaScore of 'A'. Overseas, the franchise finale brought in $82.5M cume from 43 countries for Wednesday and Thursday. That makes for a worldwide total take of at least $173M so far. Here's the TOP 10: 1. Harry Potter/Hallows, Pt 2 - 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [4,375 Theaters] Friday $95m, Estimated Weekend $180M TerryRL Note: WB closes the most lucrative franchise in history with a definite bang as the movie will earn the biggest single day gross ($95 million) as well as biggest opening weekend haul in history. WB execs have already penciled this one in as ultimately earning north of $400 million domestically and $1 billion globally, marking firsts in both categories for the series. 2. Transformers 3 - 3D (Paramount) Week 3 [3,917 Theaters] Friday $6.8M, Estimated Weekend $21M, Estimated Cume $303M 3. Horrible Bosses (New Line/Warner Bros) Week 2 [3,134 Theaters] Friday $5M (-49%), Estimated Weekend $15M, Estimated Cume $57.4M 4. Zookeeper (Sony) Week 2 [3,482 Theaters] Friday $3.6M (-51%), Estimated Weekend $11M, Estimated Cume $41M 5. Cars 2 - 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,249 Theaters] Friday $2.7M, Estimated Weekend $8.5M, Estimated Cume $165.5M 6. Winnie The Pooh (Disney) NEW [2,405 Theaters] Friday $2.6M, Estimated Weekend $8M 7. Bad Teacher (Sony) Week 4 [2,659 Theaters] Friday $1.5M, Estimated Weekend $4.5M, Estimated Cume $87.8M 8. Larry Crowne (Vendome/Universal) Week 3 [2,287 Theaters] Friday $825K, Estimated Weekend $2.5M, Estimated Cume $31.6M 9. Super 8 (Paramount) Week 6 [1,459 Theaters] Friday $550K, Estimated Cume $1.7M, Estimated Cume $122M 10. Midnight In Paris (Sony Classics) Week 10 [819 Theaters] Friday 450K, Estimated Weekend $1.5M, Estimated Cume $41.4M

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Holy Cow Terry! $95M? Whoa. Our 10:50pm was packed and nearly sold out but we saw it in Non IMAX & 2D. Not a big fan of 3D.... Loved the movie. Seeing it again 2moro. Well actually it is 2moro! :)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I opted not to see it in 3D as well. 2D is just fine with me. When my family and I saw it the theater was sold out. I figured it would challenge TDK's opening record, but $95 mil in one day? Unreal.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
If the $92.1 million figure holds, that means that close to 12 million people paid to see the movie yesterday, adding yet another record to the film's growing list of accomplishments. HP7.2 becomes the tenth film in history to sell more than 7 million theater admissions during its opening day of business. #1 "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" 11.7 million #2 "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" 9.7 million #3 "The Dark Knight" 9.4 million #4 "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" 8.7 million #5 "Spider-Man 3" 8.6 million #6 "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" 8.5 million #7 "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" 7.9 million #8 "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" 7.82 million #9 "Star Wars: Episode III- Revenge of the Sith" 7.80 million #10 "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" 7.76 million HP7.2 is expected to earn in the area of $180 million this weekend, which would translate into a whopping 23 million tickets sold. That would make the movie one of only three flicks to sell more than 20 million tickets during its opening weekend, joining "The Dark Knight" (22.1 million) and Pirates 2 (20.7 million). WB brass is over the moon about the movie's performance and given the reaction to "The Dark Knight Rises" teaser that is running before HP, some at the studio are starting to think that this record will only hold for a year. Could TDKR become the first movie in history to have an opening weekend haul of more than $200 million?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It's gonna be interesting to see what happens next weekend. Captain America should still do pretty well, but I gotta think Marvel is a bit shocked that the juggernaut of HP is THIS big.

For HP, the real question will be how many repeat sales it'll have. $400 million is all but guaranteed I think, but will it push $500 or $600?

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Historically, the Potter flicks don't have the strongest of legs domestically. While they are hugely successful, the mark these films really make is how popular they are overseas. In saying that, I think HP7.2 could earn in the area of $425-$475 million ultimately, meaning it'll have the strongest legs of series. Up until now only two of the Potter flicks had topped the triple-century mark domestically, 'The Sorcerer's Stone' ($317.6 million) and 'The Half-Blood Prince' ($302.0 million).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks