2010 Emmy Nominations (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Official Press Release List:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/08/2010-primetime-emmy-nominations-announced/56410

Worth noting:

4 Noms for Conan O'Brien and his Tonight Show

Betty White nom for SNL

Showtime has a very solid showing.

"Glee" and "The Good Wife" do very well, including "Best" in category nods.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
From DeadlineHollywood Daily:
HBO's The Pacific received 24 nominations, Fox's Glee 19, AMC's Mad Men 17, NBC's 30 Rock and Made For TV movies Temple Grandin and HBO's You Don’t Know Jack 15, ABC's Modern Family 14, NBC's Saturday Night Live 12, ABC's Dancing With The Stars 9, Showtime's Nurse Jackie 8, CBS' Two And A Half Men 6, CBS' Big Bang Theory 5, HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm and CBS' How I Met Your Mother and NBC's The Office 4.
(By my count, "Dexter" had 6)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Best Series, Drama
'Breaking Bad'
'Dexter'
'Lost'
'Mad Men'
'The Good Wife'
'True Blood'

Best Series, Comedy
'Nurse Jackie'
'Curb Your Enthusiasm'
'30 Rock'
'Glee'
'The Office'
'Modern Family'

Best Actor, Drama
Bryan Cranston 'Breaking Bad'
Michael C. Hall 'Dexter'
Hugh Laurie 'House'
Jon Hamm 'Mad Men'
Matthew Fox 'Lost'
Kyle Chandler 'Friday Night Lights

Best Actress, Drama
Connie Britton 'Friday Night Lights'
Glenn Close 'Damages'
Mariska Hargitay 'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit'
Kyra Sedgwick 'The Closer'
January Jones 'Mad Men'
Julianna Margulies 'The Good Wife'

Best Actor, Comedy
Alec Baldwin '30 Rock'
Tony Shalhoub 'Monk'
Jim Parsons 'The Big Bang Theory'
Steve Carell 'The Office'
Larry David 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'
Matthew Morrison 'Glee'

Best Actress, Comedy
Tina Fey '30 Rock'
Lea Michele 'Glee'
Julia Louis-Dreyfus 'The New Adventures of Old Christine'
Amy Poehler 'Parks and Recreation'
Toni Collette 'United States of Tara'
Edie Falco 'Nurse Jackie'

Outstanding Reality Program
'Antiques Roadshow'
'Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List'
'Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution'
'Dirty Jobs'
'Mythbusters'
'Undercover Boss'

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
'Amazing Race'
'American Idol'
'Dancing With the Stars'
'Project Runway'
'Top Chef'

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Broadcast TV had its best year for nominations in a while, fairly evenly splitting with the cable networks. The nominations themselves are more varied, too, with no shows really dominating any of the categories. IMO, these are also the worthiest nominations we've seen in years; whether the Emmy voters will break out of their box and use the more diverse slate of nominees to avoid awarding the same people they always award remains to be seen. I'll be back to post my picks a little later.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
A decent nomination list, though there are some glarring problems in the technical side of things. Perhaps most disappointing is the complete lack of Bear McCreary in the Outstanding Music Composition for a Series category. He's nominated for title credit theme, for Human Target (which he should win), but come on, the Batman cartoon music over Caprica or Human Target or Trauma? Pick an episode of those shows at random, and the score is likely better than most on TV.

Really glad to see Treme get a few nods, though I think a best cast nod would have been nice.

It is also interesting to see so many "bombs" on the list (at least if you are going by ratings, and the general concensus on this board): FlashForward is up for a few juicy awards (cinematography on the pilot, music for a series, stunts) and The Prisoner remake (cinematography, lead actor Ian McKellan).

I *really* hope Michael Emerson wins for supporting actor, though the entire cast should have been up for the ensemble emmy. I would also really like to see Mike O'Malley take hope the guest actor trophy for his role as Kurt's Dad on Glee.

The Pacific should win for pretty much everything it is nominated for. I'd also like to see LOST win for best drama series, if only as a "thank you" award (much like the Return of the King Oscar).

ABC should absolutely win for the "LOST Presents: Mysteries of the Universe--the Dharma Initiative" minisodes from last fall. Easily the coolest addon to a show in years. I'll be rooting for The National Parks: America's Best Idea to win nonfiction series, and Antiques Roadshow to win reality.

The fact that V is up for special effects is an embarassment (and I'm even a fan of the show, for all it is)--the effects are generally terrible! Fringe should have been there. Speaking of Fringe, no John Noble nomination is a crying shame.

Overall, a good list for the top awards, but the technical stuff and the "secondary" awards like editing and sound were hit and mis, though the mini-series nominations were good (can't go wrong with The Pacific and Cranston).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The Good Wife should win Best Drama Series, no questioned asked. It's up against some terrific competition (including the final season of Lost, but not the final episodes, I believe) but there was no show on TV last season as consistently excellent as The Good Wife.

Glee should win Best Comedy Series. The eternal first season had its share of flaws, but nothing else in TV this last season captured the public imagination like Glee did. I would not be heartbroken, however, if the excellent Modern Family came away with the win.

Tony Shalhoub is perhaps the most overnominated actor in recent Emmy history, but he deserves to go up to the podium for Best Actor in a Comedy one last time for his stellar work in the series finale. Just about every man he's up against has done excellent work in the last year, though, so it's anybody's category.

If Hugh Laurie doesn't win for Best Actor in a Drama after his incredible work this past season on House, the Emmy voters deserve to be rounded up and shot. Take his performance in either the season premiere or the season finale and its the best you'll see on TV, period.

I don't have any strong favorites for Best Actress in a Comedy, since none of the nominees brought anything exceptional to the table this past season. I guess I'll go with Lea Michele whose creation of Rachel reminds us all of someone irritating we know from our own lives while still serving as a protagonist we can root for.

I know Friday Night Lights fans are going to cry heresy on this one, but I have to go with Julianna Margulies who has carried The Good Wife on her shoulders through a borderline perfect first season for Best Actress in a Drama. Her performance is a constant balancing act that a lesser actress would have fumbled, taking the whole show down with her. In many ways, it's the least flashy and least rewarding role on the show. Margulies never lets that stop her.

You could make a case for just about any of the male ensemble for Modern Family winning Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy. Ed O'Neill would have been the clear stand out, but since he appears to have been burned by his decision to submit under the lead actor category, I have to go with either Eric Stonestreet or Ty Burrell. Both started with characters that could easily have been one-note caricatures and breathed into them rich and surprisingly complex internal lives. The writing for their characters has matched the development of their performances.

Julie Bowen and Holland Taylor are fantastic on Modern Family and Two And A Half Men respectively, but if Jane Lynch doesn't win Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy for her starmaking turn as the indomitable Sue Sylvester on Glee someone needs to prepare brain transplants for every Emmy voter without her name on his or her ballot.

Christine Baranski gave one of the best performances of the season as the law partner Lockhart on The Good Wife this season, but castmate Archie Panjabi as investigator Calinda was even better. I would be happy to see either woman walk away with Best Supporting Actress in a Drama, but Panjabi deserves it just a little bit more.

Mike O'Malley has given the performance of his life in his recurring role as Kurt's father on Glee. He stands head and shoulders above the other nominees for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy.

I haven't see John Lithgow's work as the latest serial killer adversary in Dexter, but I hear he was chilling and terrific. It's hard to imagine he could have topped excellent guest performances from Alan Cumming, who overcomes his well-known swishy public persona as the very restrained and very mysterious Eli Gold, and Dylan Baker as an exceptionally witty, well-cultured and twisted serial killer -- both on The Good Wife. Cumming should be a strong contender in the Best Supporting Actor category next year, as his character becomes a series regular, but Baker gets the edge this time around.

Kristin Chenoweth was divine as the heavily medicated and sexually promiscuous former Glee Club star with the best voice in Ohio on Glee, but Betty White single-handedly made Saturday Night Live relevant again with a performance that consistently elevated the fairly mediocre material. For that she deserves to be named the Best Guest Actress in a Comedy.

The Glee pilot was the best-directed introduction to a series I've seen in years. The unique style of the show leapt out of the gate fully formed. For that, Ryan Murphy deserves to win the Best Directing category.

The "200/201" episodes of South Park were more than a great hour of animated television programming, they got people thinking about the nature of free speech and the threats to it in a globalized world. An easy choice for Best Animated Program.

I'd like to see The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien win most of the Best Variety, Music or Comedy Special categories, just because it would embarrass NBC a little on their own network. And the NBC leadership is in definite need of embarrassing.

There are plenty of children's programs on the air, but only iCarly is well-developed enough to be entertaining to all age groups. None of the other shows nominated come even close. Don't be surprised if Jane Lynch gets another Best Guest Actress nom for her upcoming episode as Samantha Puckett's long-talked-about but never-seen mother.

Glee for Best Writing for a Comedy. The Good Wife for Best Writing for a Drama.

Glee for Best Art Direction for a Single-Camera Series.

Modern Family for Best Casting for a Comedy. The Good Wife for Best Casting for a Drama.

30 Rock for Best Cinematography for a Half-Hour Series.

Modern Family ("Family Portrait") for Best Picture Editing for a Comedy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I love television. I am even a fan of many reality TV shows.

But an Emmy nomination for Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? Based on the episodes I saw, that is...erm...surprising to me.

That is just a kneejerk observation based on a quick look through the list posted above.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
And I see The Amazing Race maintaining their perfect record, winning another one!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Even though Breaking Bad and Mad Men were better, my money is on Lost winning Best Drama simply because the voters will want to say "great job" for the entire series. In the end, I don't mind if any of those three series win.

I love The Office but the un-nominated Community and Parks And Recreation were both way better this year. Out of the Best Comedy nominees, Curb Your Enthusiasm deserves to win.

I don't know if Bryan Cranston can win three years in a row but he was absolutely incredible on Breaking Bad this year and easily deserves the hat trick.

It's a shame that Kiefer Sutherland didn't get nominated one last time for 24. He wouldn't deserve to win but for 8 seasons, his performance is what made the viewer able to accept alot of the crazy heights that the show went to.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I stopped taking the Emmy Awards seriously years ago. All you need is Conan O'Brien's four-nomination showing to make the case.

I gave him three weeks to improve, but other than the random good line, the show was an embarrassment and just not funny. That's why viewers deserted it in droves and its ratings were in the tank before Leno's 10 PM show (also a mistake -- 1 or 2 nights OK, but FIVE?) went on the air.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Really! And Glee 19 nominations for a show that even its biggest fans admits was uneven from episode to episode?

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

Really! And Glee 19 nominations for a show that even its biggest fans admits was uneven from episode to episode?

I won't admit that, and I'm a huge fan of the show.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

Even on it's worst episode.. and really, while it was uneven at times it was from crazily, unbelievably good to "better then normal" even on the episodes I thought weren't as good.. they were heads and tales better then almost every other comedy on broadcast TV, and it wasn't really that close.

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Bravo to FNL's Kyle and Connie; however, Zach Gilford was majorly robbed. At least "The Son" got a writing nomination.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
First set of awards went out tonight. Winners you probably know:

Neil Patrick Harris for his role on "Glee"; Betty White (SNL), Johnathan Lithgow (Dexter)

The pay nets did well, so both Showtime and HBO should feel good. The Pacific cleaned up in technical categories.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/2010-creative-arts-emmy-winners-live/#more-62450

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks