What's new

2010 DVD (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
LOL

She’s hot rocks mate!? at that age LOL!?:D

I’m running “2010: The Year We Make contact” 1984, as we speak, and the image is 9/10, good transfer.

LOL

Now let’s have more of “Helen Mirren” at that age in some sexy space outfit!?:D

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
It's a decent transfer...for a mid-90's LaserDisc master (which it is).

It badly needs a new transfer. Sound is good. Looking foward to the Blu-ray version.

PS: Helen Mirren? Meh, never did anything for me. Now the Russian hottie that needs confort during the aerobraking... :) :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Travis,

A 9 out of 10 compared to other non-anamorphic transfers doesn't sound unreasonable. 2010 does look pretty nice considering its less than ideal presentation.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Ok but the sound is 10/10 that, six-track Dolby Stereo mix is rocking, when the “Discovery” fires her main engines Kaboom! 115dbc! and Jupiter collapsing in on itself, wham! a bit smoother low end than “Discovery” firing her boosters, but still you can feel the low end pressing on you hail to THX! The film was monitored by the guys at TAP/THX when released back in 1984, oh well the end credits have finished now, wow I like the old Dolby Stereo logo cool wow what a film

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

I would agree with you if you weren't wrong. Again, Criterion's ARMAGEDDON would rank a 9; 2010 a 5, maybe a 6, if I felt overly generous. As someone else mentioned, it was an average transfer when it was first used for the LaserDisc (which I used to own) and nothing was changed to that transfer when it was ported to DVD. It ain't OUTLAND (which would rank a 1), but it still BADLY needs an upgrade.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
"Criterion's ARMAGEDDON would rank a 9; 2010 a 5, maybe a 6"

I would put Paramount's "Titanic" as a 10 as far as non-16x9 DVDs (since reissued)
Other decent ones would be "True Lies" and "The Abyss"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hyams has made a lot of films I enjoy, but I don't think we'll be seeing much of him after A Sound of Thunder. Unfortunately, Franchise Pictures and Elie Samaha will never die. If you look at a list of their films, your jaw will not drop fast enough. A couple of gems in an ocean of crap. Peter Hyams deserves better.

If Sudden Death hadn't been released at Christmas-time, it would have at least done better financially than Timecop. One of the truly good Die Hard rip-offs. The Musketeer made me want to throw things at the screen. As horrible as The Relic was, I'll accept whatever jail time that will be forced upon me for saying that I liked End of Days, and I don't see why folks can have a problem with it. To me, if you picture a movie where Arnold takes on the Devil, that's about what *I'd* want it to be...

A Sound of Thunder, on the other hand, just makes me want to immediately pop in my Running Scared DVD...of course, now I should probably make that a yearly occurance no matter what Hyams does.

But how come there's no widescreen version of Sudden Death on DVD? I'd buy it if there was. Same goes for Timecop. Both are good Hyams/Van Damme team-ups. Full screen just cannot do justice to Van Damme doing the splits in the kitchen. The only thing funnier than that scene was when Letterman spoofed it on his show. I can't believe Street Fighter has a better disc than those two. Until they come in widescreen, there is no reason to trade up from the LD.

(Even though Hyams didn't make it, an unrated Hard Target would also be nice. Make it a boxed set, since the same studio made all three. Just keep The Quest out of it.)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
As horrible as The Relic was,

Don't agree with you there. I actually liked it a lot -- and it got a few decent reviews at the time also (Two thumbs up from Siskel & Ebert as memory serves too!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks