What's new

2010 DVD (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This is an excellent candidate for a Warner Brothers two-disc special edition. Hint, hint, Warner Brothers! ;)

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
i wouldn't say it's a better film than 2001, because they're very different films. 2010 took a more hard-edged science fiction approach to things, whereas 2001 went a more thoughtful route. Both are some of the best films in the science fiction genre.

2-Disc Set for 2010!
I'd buy that in half a New York Minute. In fact, i'd buy three copies if that would help get it produced.

Tim

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Has anyone brought up 2010 in any of the Warner chats? I just scanned a couple of transcripts but came up dry. It would certinaly make a nice 2-disc edition.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I realize 2001 is a classic, but frankly I much prefer 2010, and I'm not sure I've ever been able to stay awake all the way through 2001. I'm sure I've seen it all, just never in one sitting. I find it to be incredibly boring. 2010, however, I loved, especially the message at the end.

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Maybe they are saving this for its 0th anniversary in four years.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Well, at least we get Helen Mirren (Yum at that age) at John Lithgow doing his thing. I enjoy the film on a certain level, but never equate it to Kubrick in any manner other than the obvious attempt to sequel.

I'd welcome an updated version, but don't have high hopes at this point.

E

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
It's a drag that this and Outland are such cruddy discs. Hyams photography deserves better, and I'd buy both, WB. As for 2010, I always thought it would benefit from a little Blade Runner-ish tinkering: cut the lame voiceovers and the sappy "use them together, use them in peace!" part of the end message. That wasn't in the book. Plus, there would've been more suspense at the end (when they're worried that HAL would let them all die) if we weren't already told that HAL was just misunderstood. So cutting HAL's "motivation-explaining scene" would have double benefits. To me, those three changes would help a lot.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

At least those are widescreen.
Universal's "Timecop" is cropped pan & scan!

And a "cult" film like "Event Horizon" has an SE.
Paul WS Anderson gets more respect from the studios!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
WOW what a film I have no completes with this film, the scope framing is spot on, as too is the rocking six-track Dolby Stereo mix, thou it’s only got monaural surrounds, as it was released back in 1984, it’s still fantastic, the isolated music tracks on the film playback a whole lot better as does dialogue and sound effects, over the 4:2:4 Dolby Stereo version, with fly colours, and strength in the .1 when it comes in!

How was air breaking! Yeah that’s a rocking scene bass sub bass and .1 violently vibrate the home cinema, as it presses down on you, you get a since of what the re-recording mixers where aiming for, which was nominated for best sound. Yeah this version sounds remarkable close to the 70mm road show event on DVD.

Picture 9/10

Sound 10/10

Overall 8/10

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

She's Yum at any age :D

It would be nice to see 2010 come out on HD DVD now that 2001 is set to hit the format, but I'm not holding my breath.

andySu

Senior HTF Member

LOL

What is it with “Helen Mirren” I’m sorry I don’t get the joke!? At that age!?

2010 eats to 2001 for breakfast, and I’m taking about the naff sound on “2001” I heard that the earlier version of “2001” is more exact sounding!

Now back to “2010” the version I have is not anamorphic, it’s a 4:3 letter-box edition, which still looks grand over the puking up P&S version, those donkeys making P&S versions should be tried to the back end of car!:D

andySu

Senior HTF Member
LOL

Bl**dly hell mate, she doesn’t look a day older since “2010” yeah she’s damn sexy too… :D

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I think “Roy Scheider” is about the same age!? is he older still I think a squeal is in order hear we can call it “2040” “Not A bl**ldy Day Older”!?:D

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

No DVD is better than a pan-and-scan one, but you can't possibly expect any of us to take your observations seriously if you give a non-anaorphic transfer 9 out of 10 stars. Even if you are using a relative scale (non-anamorphic titles to other non-anamorphic titles), Criterion's non-anamorphic transfer of ARMAGEDDON would be a 9; 2010's might rank a 5...might. Oh, and the Helen Mirren love? Freakin' gross, guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks