What's new

2010 BD (1 Viewer)

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Well I know this isn't a great film to many out there but I've always enjoyed it and feel that it puts some closure on 2001. The special effects were also very good for the time and hold up well.

I've never been satisfied with any version available to the home video market until now. The Blu-Ray does a fine job of representing the film. It is plenty grainy in some spots so no one can accuse the BD of being digitally scrubbed. The TrueHD track is satisfactory as well. The only area lacking is the extras (you get a featurette and a trailer). I do not recommend paying full price for it unless you're a fan like me.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It's currently $13.99 at Amazon, which is an excellent price given the $28.99 list.

I haven't watched it all the way through, but from what I've seen, I agree with Jeff's evaluation. And considering that this never got a good treatment on DVD, the Blu-ray is a huge step up.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I remember watching the film when the old DVD was first released and thinking it is nothing like 2001, I like certain aspects of the film and cringe at others, I figured I should buy the new BD and of course I am too impatient to pre-order online etc so I picked up a BD at barnes and noble I got it 30% off plus addit 10% off and that was still near $20.00 - but I was fine with that no one forced me.

I watched the first bit of the film and it looked ok that interesting MGM Jubilee logo was cool to see... but wasn't very sharp at all. Some scenes looked better than others but I can't imagine how bad the old DVD looks now since it isn't even 16:9 enhanced.

I will agree with others who have noted that WB didn't seem to manipulate the image at all with DNR etc... this makes the purchase more pleasing for sure.

I wouldn't mind having some of the WB films like PROTOCOL and Private Benjamin released on BD in WIDESCREEN finally, I can deal with a artifacted image as long as no manipulation occurs with film grain etc. (Also like them released sep. with original poster art) Two packs looks a bit tacky anc cheap when BDs are nto cheap. :)

The sound is decent enough , nice to hear the David Shire score again since the CD is OOP.
I recommend it is nostalgic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's the price I paid for it and I received it today. I hope to watch it sometime this coming week.

Crawdaddy

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I'm waiting for mine to arrive, hopefully before the end of the week. I got mine for $13.99 also, but I see Walmart has it in stock for $14.99. I didn't think they would have it, so I ordered it online. Oh well, when it arrives, I will be watching it, as I enjoyed it the first time I saw it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I enjoy this film and plan on picking it up. Thanks for posting some comments about the transfer and audio on the new blu ray. DVD Beaver did a review of the blu ray as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Count me in too as a fan of this film. Sure, it's unfair to compare it against Kubrick's 2001, I always enjoy it for what it is.

I like the dialogue in some places and Syd Mead is one of my favorite designers who was involved in the production design of the ships. Can't wait to see the BD.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
It's nice to see this finally get a fair representation on disc. I, too, was disappointed by the lack of new extras, but what is there is definitely worth the $15 I spent on it.

- Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched my copy last night. It's a huge improvement over the non-anamorphic SD-DVD. The film is not a huge favorite of mine, but at $14, it's still a bargain as a complement to 2001.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's the best $13.99 I've spent lately! I watch 2010 way more than the original. I have to be in the mood fopr classical music to even think about playing 2001. Back in the 90's I used to put on my Criterion LD of 2001 and cleaning house to the music. There's not that much dialog....43 minutes. Shoot, 2010 has atleast double that....yada-yada. It's more like a reg-lar movie than 2001.

I concur with the chior, it looks like no DNR was applied. That suits me. I was suprised how good the audio was.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I plan to get this. Saw it when it came out and did like it. Always like Roy Scheider and the effects are still terrific. There is some great moments in the movie (the spacewalk to Discovery being one). While the first one is a classic, this followup is a dependable, credible successor.

Eric F

Screenwriter
It's always easy to forget what a great actor Scheider and especially John Lithgow was before he got into TV. It's too bad, as he was a big movie star before then, and he's great here.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched it tonight. I thought the transfer was extremely film-like; grain well intact and while the image is a bit softer, there was still decent detail in many scenes. As far as the movie itself, I thought it was pretty good - however, I'm not sure I'll watch it very often and will probably sell or trade it.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I was happy to pick this up just for the sentimental reasons.

Primarily because this is the first DVD that I consider acceptable under the current home theater conditions. Back in 1998, I picked up a laserdisc of 2010 and was fine with that on a standard 19" TV. It looked good and sounded good, etc. With my current setup, the best I could do was have a box in the middle of the HDTV and sound coming out of the front speakers.

The new BD is a perfectly acceptable transfer for me, and it recreates the experience I remember of watching the film on the big screen when it first came out 25 years ago. The trailer is a little longer than I remember from the summer of 1984, but it has all the stuff I remember in it. I think I still have a 2010 hologram somewhere that I picked up at a Creation Convention in downtown Los Angeles in summer 1984...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just got my copy of 2010... really, for $13.99 on Amazon, you can't beat that. I would have paid that just to get an anamorphic SD version of it, so to get it in HD for that price, real bargain.

I was pleased by the quality of the disc - I don't think it's going to be anyone's reference title, but it looks better than it ever has on home video. I'm going from memory, but it appears to have come from the same transfer used for an HDNet broadcast last year. I actually got to see 2010 projected in 35mm last summer, and I think this Blu-ray does a great job of replicating that experience.

celica

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Celica
it's been a good time when i bought it for that price and watch it which have a really good quality for that price.. really incredible..
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched my BD copy last night. I also took a moment to compare a few scenes from the non anamorphic DVD version. I've seen this film more times then I can count on that DVD and laserdisc before it.

I was surprised by how awful the Diamond Jubilee MGM logo looked at the start of the film on the BD. It was very soft! But so was the SD DVD too.

The overall picture is brighter on the BD. Film defects like dirt and specs are gone. Overall sharpness is much better. The scene in Floyd's home when he's having dinner with his wife Caroline and son Chris was much darker looking on the old DVD. The new BD brightens the sequence. Though it must have been filmed in low light conditions as Madolyn Smith still looked a tad under lit and soft in one shot.

One thing that distracted me a bit is the image during the live action sequences on board the Leonov. Perhaps Hyams intentionally did this, but the scene after Floyd wakes up and is in conference with the Russians and discussing their findings, looks like it was filmed with smoke so the lighting array above the table would give off a glow.

The miniature work really shines and shots of the Leonov are nice and sharp. The only bad part I noticed is the composite shots of Max and Curnow during the first space walk from the Leonov to the Discovery. You can see the shot of Curnow are an optical on top of the miniature effects as his exposure does not match. The old DVD hid this much better because it was so much darker.

One thing that glares at me when I watch this film and when I first saw it, is how the set builders only areas that failed the film was the recreation of the monitors on board the Discovery. The original 2001 film had those wonderful flat screens built into the console. As a way to ease filming for 2010 of those graphics on the screens, it's understandable they used CRT's in the place of the old back projection. But it looks so bad that the bezels are shown and you can see the curvature of the screens! Kubrick really nailed all the technical aspects of his film.

But as other have said, It's great to finally have this on BD now. Roy Scheider and the rest of the cast are great. A terrific movie.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I got the BD yesterday. What I notice the most that the interiors remind me so much of ALIEN.

The use of CRT's does date it but I get a kick about how Roy Scheider was using what can best be described as a laptop on the beach (I also like the little detail of the beer being in a packet, instead of a can).

I wonder how they managed to have Keir Dullea look essentially the same as he did in the 1960's in this movie.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ah, yes the Apple IIc as a laptop Roy is using on the beach. Quite a advanced computer for 1984. Today he'd be using a Macbook Pro or Air!

I never noticed the beer packet until I saw it on the BD, some really fun product placements in the movie. The Omni magazine gag with Clarke and Kubrick on the cover is a really good one too.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
You mean Time magazine. The Monolith was on the Omni cover. ;)

It's too bad they couldn't recreate the "hub" set of the Discovery. It's noticeable by it's absence, but then again maybe Dave was hiding in there the whole time. I've never been able to decide if the last EVA pod in the bay is a goof or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks