2010 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Everyone has their own definition of what makes up a "garbage" film. TravisR thinks TRON: Legacy was a bad film and I thought it delivered exactly what I was expecting: an FX heavy film. I certainly didn't go to TRON with the expectation that the film was going to have some kind of award winning writing. The original film didn't exactly achieve any accolades for the writing either.

That's the problem, the original film I never liked so why would I spend my hard earned money to see a sequel?

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Perhaps the suits should give us better films then."

"Yeah, I don't understand the thinking in Hollywood executive suites. If you put out garbage films, you'll get garbage grosses."

Are you guys assuming that the suits know what will click with audiences? You're forgetting the cardinal rule: No one knows anything -- and that includes the wanks in the seats. All they can do is look at what's been successful recently and try to ride the wave. More often than not, doing something original and daring is an invitation to get kicked in the teeth. What do you expect from a market that's mostly kids?

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"That's the problem, the original film I never liked so why would I spend my hard earned money to see a sequel?"

That's much more wise than the people who went expecting everything they disliked about the original would suddenly be gone and replaced with new stuff that they would like...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Everyone has their own definition of what makes up a "garbage" film. TravisR thinks TRON: Legacy was a bad film and I thought it delivered exactly what I was expecting: an FX heavy film. I certainly didn't go to TRON with the expectation that the film was going to have some kind of award winning writing. The original film didn't exactly achieve any accolades for the writing either.

That's the problem, the original film I never liked so why would I spend my hard earned money to see a sequel?

[/QUOTE]

I never suggested that anyone who disliked the first one should spend their money on the sequel if they didn' t want to. All I suggested was that the term "garbage film" is relative. The first one didn't light any fires with me, but I didn't hate it either. The second one pretty well met my expectations; therefore, I personally don't consider it "garbage". I certainly liked it better than....say.....Iron Man 2, which I think was pretty well garbage. However, in my case, my disliking IM2 would not cause me to automatically write off seeing IM3, because there is always the possibility that a change in the production team could result in a better movie.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Terry, have they figured out that ticket sales are down because the 3D price premium made for enormous ticket price inflation in a single year for various blockbusters?

it's amazing how 2010 developed, Avatar created enormous good will for 3D it was all anyone could talk about. Then Alice in Wonderland came out and killed all the interest, more or less.

Originally Posted by TerryRL

The early year-end numbers are not encouraging as it looks as though the month of December only managed about $650 million at the box office, marking the lowest number the frame has seen since 1999. With only about 81 million admissions sold in the month (by comparison last December tallied 142 million ticket sales), this will easily go down as the worst attended December in movie theaters since the mid-1990s. Overall, 2010 pulled in $10.3 billion domestically, the second biggest in history behind last year's $10.6 billion mark, but given that ticket sales are at the highest they've ever been 2010's 1.3 billion worth of admission sales ranks as the lowest the industry has had since 1995.

The suits at the studios are hoping (praying actually) that 2011 turns things around.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
2011 will be a huge year in regards to the future of 3D movies. There are those in the industry that want every major FX-laden release to be in 3D. While films like "Alice in Wonderland", "Toy Story 3", and "How to Train Your Dragon" brought in huge audiences in the format (not to mention to dominance of "Avatar" during the early part of the year), other movies weren't as impressive in terms of box office. For example, "Tron: Legacy" will be a big hit, it is performing well below Disney expectations and if not for higher 3D ticket pricing, the movie would be seen as a disappointment.

There will be more 3D releases this year and if the year-end totals are as disappointing as this year, look for the studios to re-think their stance on the 3D format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks