2010 at the Box Office

mattCR

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt
Box Office rarely links to a cult status. I don't think "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" or "Rocky Horror" were big box office smashes. As it sits, Kick Ass is guaranteed to pass another cult film (Serenity, which in my opinion is a way superior film) etc.
Box office doesn't really equate with much but the investment and return.

Heck, Variety once said of one of my favs (Harold & Maude): "has all the fun and gaiety of a burning orphanage.", and it bombed badly at the box office. But it's still one of those must own in my collection today. Cult is what it is. Could Kick Ass develop a cult following? I don't think so.. it's just too pop culture to really have the staying power. One thing is for sure: it looks like it's on track to lose money.

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Kick-Ass is the type of film that will stay popular amongst the A-I-C-N crowd, that was what I was referring to as a "cult favorite".

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

Box office doesn't really equate with much but the investment and return.
and future viability as a box office draw with new projects. Millar's new comic book project, Nemesis, with just 1 issue out, is already looking for a big-named director to helm its cinematic treatise. It's that sort of "big ego out of control" unlikability on Millar's part that makes me root against the guy at times.

Steve_Tk

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
By the way, Furry Vengeance? Wow that movie looks terrible. I can't imagine it even being a hit among families.

JediFonger

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
so is the Tyler Perry movie sequel a 'failure' since it failed to generated sustain box office $ a few weekends later?

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Terry, how is the new Nightmare on Elm Street tracking? Any chance it out-performs Friday the 13th's opening from last year?

TerryRL

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Right now, 'Nightmare' is expected to open in the neighborhood of $35 million. Not many are expecting an opening that will challenge the near $41 million debut that "Friday the 13th" earned last year.

TerryRL

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Friday Estimates

#1 "A Nightmare on Elm Street" $15.8 million
#2 "How to Train Your Dragon" $2.5 million ($184.1 million) 29% Friday-to-Friday drop
#3 "Date Night" $2.5 million ($68.5 million) 25% Friday-to-Friday drop
#4 "The Back-Up Plan" $2.4 million ($18.1 million) 43% Friday-to-Friday drop
#5 "The Losers" $1.9 million ($14.0 million) 41% Friday-to-Friday drop
#6 "Furry Vengeance" $1.7 million
#7 "Clash of the Titans" $1.7 million ($149.7 million) 30% Friday-to-Friday drop
#8 "Kick-Ass" $1.4 million ($39.1 million) 51% Friday-to-Friday drop
#9 "Death at a Funeral" $1.3 million ($32.0 million) 47% Friday-to-Friday drop
#10 "Oceans" $830K ($11.7 million) 60% Friday-to-Friday drop

The 'Nightmare on Elm Street' reboot easily topped the box office yesterday and looks headed for an opening weekend haul in the area of $35-$40 million. Both "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Date Night" continue their leggy box office runs. "Furry Vengeance" crashed and burned and will very likely fade very fast from theaters. "The Back-Up Plan" and "The Losers" are now officially box office disappointments. Today will see "Clash of the Titans" pass the $150 million plateau. WB is currently planning a sequel that will have a new director attached. "Death at a Funeral" will end up doing decent (but far from spectacular) business, while "Kick-Ass" is headed for cult hit status.

This weekend is very much the calm before the storm as "Iron Man 2" prepares to get the summer season off to a monster start next week. Current predictions have the movie opening with more than $155 million.

TerryRL

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Weekend Estimates

#1 "A Nightmare on Elm Street" $32.2 million
#2 "How to Train Your Dragon" $10.8 million ($192.4 million) -30%
#3 "Date Night" $7.6 million ($73.6 million) -27%
#4 "The Back-Up Plan" $7.4 million ($23.0 million) -41%
#5 "Furry Vengeance" $6.5 million
#6 "The Loser" $6.0 million ($18.1 million) -36%
#7 "Clash of the Titans" $6.0 million ($154.0 million) -33%
#8 "Kick-Ass" $4.5 million ($42.2 million) -52%
#9 "Death at a Funeral" $4.0 million ($34.8 million) -50%
#10 "Oceans" $2.6 million ($13.5 million) -57%
#11 "The Last Song" $2.3 million ($58.6 million) -39%
#12 "Alice in Wonderland" $1.5 million ($329.7 million) -34%

Capping off the biggest April in history, moviegoers shelled out a little over $91 million on the top 12 movies this weekend, marking about a 2% bump from last year, but down nearly 41% from this frame in '08. 2010's incredible year-to-date domestic gross now stands at $3.461 billion, which is 7% stronger than last year ($3.243 billion), a 24% improvement over both '08 ($2.781 billion) and ''07 ($2.785 billion), and a 27% improvement over '06 ($2.719 billion).

New Line/WB's "A Nightmare on Elm Street" reboot earned the seventh best April opening in history with its $32.2 million debut haul. At a budget of only about $35 million, the new movie got off to exactly the kind of start the studio hoped for. It the movie does decent business in the coming weeks than a sequel won't be too far behind.

Next weekend will see the start of the summer season as Paramount's "Iron Man 2" hits more than 4,000 locations. The movie has already taken in over $100 million overseas and is expected to earn more than $150 million in its domestic debut next weekend.

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm actually pretty shocked that NIGHTMARE didn't open better. I thought Freddy would have much more mass appeal that Jason but F13 did much better business on the opening weekend.

I know horror-nuts are going to debate which one is better but I saw both on opening day and to me F13 went over much better with people in the crowd. I wonder if a negative word of mouth kept ANOES from making as much money after a pretty strong start or if repeat views were lower due to the quality of the film.

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Will Iron Man 2 bring in more than TDK's $158 million opening weekend take? I think with no 10 p.m. showings on Thursday night (as far as I can tell), they are going to try and beat the record. I think it'll be close, but I just don't know if it'll be able to best TDK's opening weekend record.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A theater near me is showing the first "Iron Man" at 9PM, followed by the "Iron Man 2" premiere at Midnight.

It better make money while it can, because the early word-of-mouth from those who've seen it is pretty awful. Then again, I'm still trying to figure out the appeal of the first film. I've watched it twice and just don't get the praise or popularity. It's the first superhero/comic film where I've actually rooted against the "hero" because he's so unlikeable.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by TravisR /forum/thread/296006/2010-at-the-box-office/510#post_3688144
Since never, I guess. But some of the comments in the discussion thread seem to be coming from folks who liked the first film. So if they're disappointed....

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
Looks like Iron Man 2 had a 52.4 million dollar opening day. Thursday midnight showings were around 7.4 million. Estimates were for a 150 to 160 million opening, but it looks like the opening weekend will end up around 130 million. Looks like TDKs opening weekend B.O number is safe from IM2's assault. I was curious about the numbers. Normally, Terry is pretty quick with BO numbers but he must have hit a busy spell. Hope you don't think I'm stepping on your toes, Terry.

TerryRL

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
No worries Edwin. My wife and I are in the middle of remodeling our house and it has left me with very little free time, which is why I haven't been posting as much lately.

As for IM2, with officially the widest release in history (playing in 4,380 locations translating to more than 10,000 screens across the country) the studio was expecting numbers more in the range of TDK ($158 mil) and Spidey 3 ($151 mil), but a $130 million opening weekend is definitely nothing to scoff at. IM2 will end up with the fifth biggest domestic debut in history.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruksartbneha