What's new

2009 MLB Thread (2 Viewers)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I guess as long as an ex-Red Sox is not a Yankee, they won't be booed.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Which is precisely the way it should be, in a perfect world. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

so what if he did.
pitchers used to be allowed to control the game with inside pitches and pitches that had a meaning.
not anymore.
Beckett threw a pitch a foot away from Abreu's head, wasn't even close.
the mistake here was the umpire, they need to
stop giving batters time this late into the pitch.
It was Umpire's fault anything happened.

also Bob watson is a boob.

Pitchers get tossed and get warnings for throwing inside without ever hitting anyone. ridiculous
and watson gives out suspensions for the same.

It's a joke.

Bob Gibson

I think the problem starts because players run off the bench onto the field
everytime someone throws inside and the BATTER starts yelling at the pitcher.

The batter needs to be held to stricter rules on this and just like
hockey the first person who comes of the bench onto the field
needs to thrown out and have a serious suspension.

STAY OFF THE FIELD.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Reminds me of the reception Jim Thome got when he came to Philadelphia for interleague play the year he got traded to the White Sox. A massive standing ovation. Fans love great players and they don't generally hold a grudge when someone moves on late int heir carreer. (as long as they don't move on to a rival in their prime....)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it defeinitely makes it worse when it's a rival team. It's like your girlfriend dumping you to go out with your worst enemy. It's almost like she's rubbing your nose in it...not cool!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Huh? The Indians scored fifteen (15) runs on the Yankees in the top of the second inning before there were any outs. Okay, now ESPN shows that fourteen runs were scored in the top of the second, with one run home in the third. I know what I saw -- something must have been corrected. What is going on in this game?

BTW, Beckett is slated to pitch tonight, so as Mike said, he may have appealed the decision. Enjoy your time at the game, Mike.

Go BoSox!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm pleased that the BoSox won, and that Mike got to see it! Beckett got the win, and if it weren't for the two-run double, he might have looked a bit sharper. Papelbon picked up his fourth save.

And how about those Marlins? They're 10-1!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, a 3 game winning streak for the Sox. Wooo! That's pretty amazing for a team with only 5 wins. :eek:

But it's finally good to see the Sox and Yanks climbing their way back up the standings where they should be ;)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike

Going back to last season it is 34 innings with no runs for Zack Greinke. With Meche and Grienke 1 and 2, Kyle Davies in the 3 slot starting the season well (up to today anyway), and the Mexicutioner (Joakim Soria) closing out the games the Royals may actually have a chance to make some noise in the relatively weak Central Division this year.

After 11 games the Royals pitchers have the fewest runs allowed in the Major Leagues (32). All that could easily change in one game, but I can enjoy it while it lasts.

How about Cubs vs. Royals in the world series. As a life long die-hard Cubs fan and a KC area resident for most of my adult life, I am not sure who I would cheer for. Of course the chances of either the Cubs or the Royals making the world series is probably 1,000,000:1. Well, the Cubs probably have a better chance than that.....

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the advantage the Royals have is that the central right now sucks. But yeah, watching Meche and Grienke is a treat. While he can't use it often, it's awesome watching him go from a 94 fastball to that goofball 61MPH curve.. he rarely throws it, but he threw it twice last night and it's just baffling; you see batters go all the way around before the ball hits the plate. Classic stuff.

The Royals biggest problem is that the hitting sucks. It's good that Grienke is holding a 0.00 ERA, because he has to.. they won last night 2-0. The Royals need some bat production. But if they can get some bats going, they could at least not be totally in the doghouse by middle of May.. here in KC, we're used to being nearly statistically eliminated by June 1

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
1997: Marlins make the playoffs, win the World Series

2003: Marlins make the playoffs, win the World Series

2009: Marlins off to a (now) 11-1 start - could it be? ;) Their pitching has looked awesome so far this year.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Scott,

Yes, I know it was fourteen runs. I was curious why it read fifteen in the top of the second yesterday. It was just an error, which was quickly corrected.

Well, the BoSox got back to .500 with a win today. I'm pleased Lester got his first win of the year. I'd like to see them string together ten or so consecutive victories. That would be nice, especially since the Yankees are coming to town next weekend.

Speaking of the Yankees, that right field wind-tunnel sure is interesting. I read today that there may be need for the stadium to undergo structural changes somewhat during the off season. There sure were a ton of home runs hit there in the past six or seven games. And one witness said that several of the fly balls would have been routine outs in any other ball park.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yeah, I saw this. And I watched their game yesterday. The announcers were really down on the Nationals. Goodness, when they tried to hold the Marlins in the top of the ninth, something I'd never heard a baseball announcer say before surprised me. The announcer said that they (the Nationals) ought to have someone warming up in the bullpen -- even before the first pitch had been thrown by Rivera.

The manager seems like he's quite serious about a complete overhaul:

"After watching the Florida Marlins again shred his relievers in a 7-4 victory Sunday, the Washington Nationals manager promised -- and then swiftly delivered -- an in-season overhaul.

"I think it's embarrassing. I think it's unacceptable. I think our fans have every right to be mad like we are right now," Acta said. "We're going to have a brand-new bullpen tomorrow, and if those guys who come in don't get it done, we're going to continue getting guys out of here."

Florida Marlins vs. Washington Nationals - Recap - April 19, 2009 - ESPN

The BoSox swept the Orioles (four games) by winning 12-1 on Patriot's Day. Pedroia went 4-6, and Varitek (!) had another home run. There is no doubt in my mind that 'Tech' will have at least eighty (80) home runs this year. And Mike Frezon agrees with me on this. ;)

Baltimore Orioles vs. Boston Red Sox - Recap - April 20, 2009 - ESPN

The Rays were crushed by almost the same score (12-2) by the ChiSox (yesterday). Chicago has played the Rays very well during this series -- heck, they even got to Garza yesterday, which kind of surprised me as he was quite good in his first two starts.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm so psyched for Tek. What a great way to start the new season after what happened to him during the playoffs (and after).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

"I'm Mike Frezon...and I approve this message." :D

Sorry I haven't had much time to talka bout the trip to Fenway. But, my son and I had a great time.

But, it's a long day. We left the Albany-area about Noon. Drove to Riverside station in Newton and took the "T" the rest of the way in to Fenway. About 2 1/2 hour drive and then another 30 or 40 minutes on the "T." Walk around the park, Landsdowne Street, Yawkey Way, etc for a couple of hours and head into the park @ 5pm when the gates open. Since there was no BP because of a light drizzle that afternoon, we just got some food and took a good walk around the interior of the park...took some pix, etc. Game started at 7:10pm. Beckett pitched well aside from the fourth inning. Youkilis had an outstanding night (but that'll happen when you're batting about .500). He had two doubles, a single and a homer over the Monstah.

The crowd of 37,559 (I remember when you were lucky to sell out the place at 33,000) was rocking the joint the entire night...almost bringing the ol' place down during Sweet Caroline and Shipping Up to Boston. The game ended at 10:21 (with a 6-4 Boston win). Dropped son back off at college in Troy and home by 2:15am. A long, but absolutely terrific, day.

More to come.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh. I don't know what anyone else thinks...but I'm not sure that instant replay really worked on that Posada homerun in Sunday's game against the Indians.

I'm left to wonder, because of the event, if the umpiring crew is also allowed to rule on whether the ball/player is interfered-with on the play? Or...are they just ruling they believe the ball cleared the fence? I didn't think interference was reviewable...only fair/foul and HRs.

For the record, I was not watching the game on TV...but I turned the game on the radio just before the umpires made their announcement and the Yankee announcers (Sterling and Waldman) both seemed to think the hit would be ruled a double. They seemed genuinely surprised that it was ruled a homer.

Maybe the umpires ruled they didn't see any evidence to overturn the ruling on the field (ala the NFL's rules)? It would be nice if Jerry Crawford would have explained something on a postgame interview. Silence in such a situation is really pretty lame. It is certainly no way to build confidence in the new system. :thumbsdown:

Jim Caple on the play...and Jeffrey Maier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.