What's new

2009 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm mixed on the "patented Paul O'Neill beat up the water cooler" situation.

I understand when players get frustrated. Youkilis is a prime example of this kind of emotion. But, it is kind of dopey to take out your aggressions on a Gatorade cooler or some other inanimate object.

Maybe players like Youk and O'Neill should take some anger management classes with Jack Nicholson (a la the film Anger Management). :D

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Could we keep Nicholson in such a class for life please? Thanks. ;)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
wow, after last night's game, Brett Gardner is now hitting 300. how'd have thought the Yanks would have too many outfielders even with Nady injured? that second inning for the Mets was pretty memorable. 3 errors contributing to 4 runs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It must be pretty hard to be a Met fan this summer. It is amazing they are still in contention considering all the gaffes and other strangeness.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What a superb night for Mariano Rivera last night.

On the same night he notches his 500th career save, he also gets his first major league RBI--in just his third major league at-bat.

I'll admit I was actually pulling for him to hit the ball hard during that at-bat last night (although I was a bit unsure of his manager's strategy of bringing him into the game in the 8th inning with his at-bat due to come up). He hit a nice drive in his second at-bat just a few days ago in Atlanta.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
John Lester pitched another masterpiece last night. He wasn't entirely dominating, but his eight Ks were somewhat impressive. And he didn't give up all that many hits, and had reasonably good control against the Orioles.

I've been thinking that the BoSox are going to have to step up their offensive output over the next few weeks. Although their schedule is quite favorable up to and including their next (ten-game) home stand, scoring six runs in three games like they did against the Braves won't often get it done. Pedroia and Youkilis have actually been mini-slumping lately, although others have picked up the slack.

BTW, in the Sox's 2-1 loss to the Braves, I was happy to see that Nick Green was not charged with an error. The scorer reversed his decision on that one, and IMO, rightly so.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Did anyone catch the stunning comeback by the Orioles last night? I did. How I was hoping that the game would be rained out. It was pouring at the bottom of the fifth inning with Boston leading, 9-1.

Incidentally, I think ESPN goes a bit too far praising the bullpen of the BoSox. They're good, but not great. They've been having difficulty getting people out lately (I'm talking for about 3-4 weeks, if not longer). I think they have a lot of pitchers depth-wise, but not necessarily the best bullpen depth-wise in baseball. There is much room for improvement.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Mike,

Not to mention that it was hardly Papelbon's fault. Sure, he gave up a double -- but he inherited those runners, didn't he? In any event, I think the most effective pitcher of the evening was none other than ... John Smoltz! :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/284474/2009-mlb-thread/630#post_3578483
Mike,

Yep (regarding the rain issues). But the Sox did win one as well -- albeit a rather odd one given that a second game was played on the same day after the rained out game.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think the Sox jinxed themselves when they ran off the field after only 2 outs. LMAO!!!

That game was all kinds of embarrassing in every aspect (after the rain delay)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe.

But that game is all forgotten themselves after they launched their own massive comeback in the 9th inning today against those same Orioles!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was very pleased to see the Sox score four runs in the top of the ninth tonight, and to win it in eleven innings. And how about this -- after I criticized their bullpen, their pitchers (starter and relievers) retired twenty-four Orioles in a row!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You were kind of harsh on the pitching staff, Scott.

They've been having a pretty good year--especially the bullpen (minus that other game against the Os). And the pitching is soooooo deep. It's the team's real strength as we head into the second half of the season.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Somewhat of a tough loss tonight, but we didn't really seem to be in the game for some reason. Kottaras made it interesting. I'm sure Pedroia is bummed, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.