1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2009 MLB Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    Oh dear, I still am confused about baseball terminology. Is a "slug" a diminuative "slugger"? [​IMG]

2. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Mike,

I'm not a bit concerned. Green said he was at second base when he saw his teammates hovering around home plate. He thought the ball was going to be caught for an out, and yet he's at second base? That's hustle to me. And where the ball was going to end up was not all that clear at first -- the Pesky Pole is a bit tricky that way. Truth be told, I'd rather he be at second base on a 'sure out' (in his mind) rather than for him to assume he hit a home run. I commend his actions. To my way of thinking, he was paying attention to the things that needed to be paid attention to and not to the things that didn't need attention. [​IMG]

I love too that Green is hitting .293 with four home runs and twenty-five RBIs. I heard a stat yesterday that said the Sox are (I think) 30-11 with Green in the lineup. I think this might bode well for the team long-term.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Ah, but is Nick Green a positive influence, or does Julio Lugo's presence just hurt everybody that much? [​IMG]

4. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    An intriguing question to be sure.

Julio Lugo is the quintessential Boston Red Sox team player. He's head and shoulders a better player than Yaz, but a shade less a player than was Ted Williams.

I can post statistics to back this up if you wish.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

C'mon, Dennis. You better than anyone should know the status of the slug in modern sports: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

=====================

Something tells me TonyD is going to be very happy that the AL teams won't be back to Philadelphia for the rest of the regular season. [​IMG]

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Only if they have to keep playing the games at home.

7. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Mike,

I see. If the 'ninth inning comment' is truly where his head was at, I might have to question that one. That does seem a bit odd.

Re: the Phillies--

Most teams (there are probably one or two exceptions) in MLB would die for the road record put together thus far by the Phillies -- 23-9? Are you kidding me? Then I look at what they've done at home. Very unusual, I think.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Instead of hustle, I'd call it playing the game the right way.

Something which David Ortiz did not do yesterday. Here's a guy struggling to climb over the Mendoza line in mid-June and he pops up (a mile high) to short-stop/third base (on a VERY windy day). Instead of standing on second base when the ball is allowed to drop to the ground untouched, he's looking in amazement from the vicinity of first base. THAT is bad baseball from a player who should know a lot better. And don't even get me started that he's posing after hitting homeruns.

People were making such a big deal about Mark Texeira running hard from first base to score on the dropped pop fly by Luis Castillo in that Met/Yankee game a week ago. He was simply doing what players are taught to do in those situations--for the very reason which presented itself! That is something that Ortiz would be smart to do himself. The guy doesn't even play in the field. RUN OUT the plays, David. [​IMG]

===================

I'll bite on the your stats which show Lugo to be a better player than Yaz. I know you can't mean it...but you must have a reason for saying it! [​IMG]

9. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Mike,

I've noticed that about Ortiz as well. And it does bother me -- a lot.

Sure, I can provide the stats. on Lugo vs. Yaz. May I make them up, or do they have to be historically accurate? [​IMG]

I didn't see any rule against levity every now and then. Me hopes it's okay. [​IMG]

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Aaaaah. Yer all talk, I tells ya!

[​IMG]

11. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Not to mention that Yaz is one of my favorite Red Sox players. [​IMG]

12. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
  13. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I almost stayed away from the sport after Curt Flood. But somehow, my love for it just keeps coming back every year....

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I figure Fehr is like Scott Boras - for the most part, he does his job extremely well, and most of us would absolutely want him defending our interests should they need defending. He miscalculated a bit where drug testing was concerned, initially valuing privacy over public perception, but it's his job to take the heat for matters like that. Without a Fehr, the owners would likely run roughshod over the players as is the case in the NFL, and I know I wouldn't want that.

15. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

They have to be historically accurate, but you didn't say he was a better *baseball* player than Yaz. . .

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    AAHHH!
    It's good to be home on the road.

17. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I actually did say that Lugo was a better *baseball* player than Yaz -- I just didn't post it as such on this Board. [​IMG]

The Sox got a big six-run eighth inning tonight against the Nationals. Bay and Ellsbury combined for eight hits. And ESPN reports that this was Ellsbury's first two triple game. And my man got a hit and an RBI as well. [​IMG]

And speaking of Nick Green:

"Boston SS Nick Green made the defensive play of the game, snagging a grounder near second base and tagging runner Cristian Guzman in one motion before making an acrobatic throw to first for the double play."

[​IMG]

How about this tidbit (bolded):

"In their first regular season visit since 1971 -- when Boston great Ted Williams was managing the Washington Senators -- the Red Sox took the lead for good on Jason Varitek's flyball off Julian Tavarez (3-5) in the seventh inning. Manny Delcarmen (2-1) got the win in relief for the Red Sox, who have won 14 of 19 in June."

Boston Red Sox vs. Washington Nationals - Recap - June 23, 2009 - ESPN

Bay is really having a very good year. His three RBIs tonight bring him nearly to seventy for the season, behind only Pujols at this point. I hope he keeps this up (a la Hack Wilson and/or Hank Greenberg). [​IMG]

Tony,

Hey, the Phillies defeated the Rays handily tonight. Was this game six of the World Series? And the Yankees were shutout again. Hmmm.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I had the opportunity to watch that entire game last night. The Yankees looked awful (and Kenny Singleton was in complete denial. On three separate occasions Yankee players hit routine fly outs and Singleton, each time, said it was the wind that held those balls in the park. [​IMG] ). They are in a pretty bad place right now. A-Rod is plummeting. The NY tabloids are reporting late night partying on days he's being rested for fatigue. The Yanks aren't getting ANY clutch hits. Their pitching is so-so and hurt. And their outfield is pretty bad. They'd be smart to unload Damon now while he's still got a small amount of value because of his bat.

19. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    They'd be even smarter to unload Mark Teixeira to the Red Sox. [​IMG]

20. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

That was awesome!!! Plus my former neighbor, a die-hard Stankee fan, was at his old place cleaning the driveway this morning, so I got to tell him about it.

On the other hand, I have been having serious nightmares about Jason Bay in pinstripes next year. [​IMG]