1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2009 MLB Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

2. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Here are some interesting trade rumors and rumblings around the league, what with around six weeks to go before the deadline. I found the following to be of particular interest, since I'm a Red Sox fan.

With regard to Lowrie, does anyone know about the meniscus? When it heals, are there recurring problems during normal wear and tear on the body, or is it once healed, always healed?

The top trade-bait nominees in major league baseball - ESPN

"Keep your Sox on: At the same time Penny's stock is rising, though, teams that have spoken to the Red Sox report they've slowed down their efforts to market him. At this point, they appear likely to wait at least a couple of weeks, so they can try to figure out the mystery of Daisuke Matsuzaka and assure themselves that John Smoltz is a guy they can count on.

The Red Sox also seem like they're in no hurry to trade for a shortstop, either, even though they've clearly been shopping. They hope to get Jed Lowrie back by the first week of July. And even if they still feel a need to make a move, beware of all rumors linking them to players like J.J. Hardy, whom they'd have to commit to beyond this year.

According to an official of one club, they're "not looking for a shortstop of the future." Lowrie is still that guy. They're looking only for someone to get them through the year. Period. So who does that leave? Jack Wilson if he comes cheap enough? Orlando Cabrera if all else fails? Both seem like long shots. Even Phillies prospect Jason Donald no longer fits, because he's now out longer than Lowrie after tearing his meniscus."

3. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Mike,

I just realized that those images are from your baseball cards. Someone quoted you in a post (and included the cards), and I mistook that post for them owning the cards.

Should you ever wish to sell any of them, please drop me a line. I've got a couple of sons (er, not to mention their father [​IMG]) who would love to have those. I doubt you'd want to part with them (no more than I'd want to part with any of my Beatles albums); however, it can't hurt to ask. [​IMG]

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Scott: I actually have those 1968 Topps League Leaders cards. But those pictured are not my actual cards.

Anyway, I ain't sellin'! My wife has tried for years to get me to cash them in and it's not about to happen. [​IMG]

I've got all my Beatle albums, too. Against my wife's wishes... [​IMG]

5. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Mike,

I'm only thinking of you here, buddy. You should LISTEN to your wife.

BTW, my address is:

[​IMG]

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

The NL had some good players in '67, too (although I am hesitant to admit it [​IMG] ):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Mike:
    Please stop reminding that I could be retired and living on a private island had I kept all the baseball cards that hit the trash (or bike spokes) [​IMG]

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

A lot of my cards hit my bike spokes, too, Lew. Who knew?!? [​IMG]

Anyway...even though I've still got a bunch of my cards, I don't think selling them would make all that dramatic a difference in my life style. That's why I'm holding on to them. I certainly don't foresee any private island in my future. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Lew,

No kidding. I had three or four shoeboxes filled with cards (several sports, not just baseball). I also had a half dozen or so television shows from the period.

10. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Deleted. I figured it out.

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

After the Cubs' second straight absolute MIRACLE win today, I predict:

1. The Indians' season is toast...today is the season's second blown 7-0 lead and Kerry Wood sucks.

2. The Cubs WILL WIN THE NATIONAL LEAGUE!!!

12. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Brian,

Could you please make a third prediction? Say, that Matsuzaka will be traded soon? Speaking of being toast.... Thanks. [​IMG]

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

^^ Amen!

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    Brian, shades of the 1960s...

In 1969, three things happened that I never dreamed of seeing: man on the moon, the Mets won the World Series, and Dick Nixon became President.

15. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Would it be a negative to admit that I remember all three quite well? [​IMG]

BTW, I often tell people that I think the 1969 World Series is the greatest series I have ever seen. Those that did not see it as it occurred look at me in disbelief, because they can't fathom how a five-game series could (e.g.) be better than a six or seven game series. I suppose you had to be there to remember all of the oddities that occurred in that series, and the players -- some of them unknown at the time -- who were coming up with plays that seemed very unlikely at the time. There were plays that were, for want of a better word, miraculous.

"You gotta believe!"

Remember Swoboda, Donn Clendenon (MVP!), Tommy Agee, Cleon Jones, Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, Ed Kranepool, Gary Gentry, and Tug McGraw? Oh, and they had some guy who never really made it in the big leagues -- Nolan Ryan. [​IMG]

Although I greatly admired the Orioles that year, I actually loved the 1970 team even more. What was odd for me -- a baseball anomaly of sorts for me, if you will -- is that 1969 is the first and only time I have ever rooted for the NL to win the World Series.* It may have been because I was eleven, and was very much caught up in the totality and excitement of the event. I was a Tom Seaver fan that year (he of the twenty-five win season), and also thought that Koosman and Gentry were to be idolized as heroes....

*When the New York Yankees are in the World Series, I'm not so much rooting for the NL to win, but rather, for the Yankees to lose. The passion I shared for the 1969 Mets team is not evident when rooting against the Yankees, although I am still technically 'rooting' for the NL whenever the Yankees have made it to the World Series.

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    Yeah I was 16 in 1969. I thought the world was opening up and was going to be my oyster.

17. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

And it was probably the most disappointing season from a Cubs' fan standpoint, even more devastating than 2003.

Speaking of devastating, another Kerry Wood implosion today. Not signing Wood looks to be the only good move our GM made.

Baseball is so unpredictable. In the 12th the Indians brought in Perez -- a guy with a WHIP of 4.8 (!) over the last 7 days -- and he promptly mowed down the heart of the Cubs order. Then Wood comes in to protect the lead in the 13th, faces some of the feeblest hitters you'll ever see (Hill, Blanco, Miles), and self destructs for the second straight day.

18. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    And Josh Beckett gets his first-ever shutout (3-0) with the BoSox. If someone had asked me how many shoutouts he had with Boston thus far in his career before tonight's game, I would not have said zero.

19. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    That was a fun win for Boston over the Braves today (6-5). My man Nick Green came through, even if it was only a 'wrap around' home run inside the Pesky pole. [​IMG]

Boston Red Sox - Green's homer gives Boston 6-5 win over Atlanta - Boston.com

Atlanta Braves vs. Boston Red Sox - Recap - June 21, 2009 - ESPN

On Baseball Tonight last evening, one of the announcers said that the BoSox can win a World Series with Nick Green at shortstop. I loved that line.

It looks as though Green has actually improved in the field over the past three months too. Although I'm not crazy about the April and May stats, the June stats are right up there with the best of them. [​IMG]

"Every month Green has improved at his new shortstop position. In April he had five errors in 65 chances, May; three errors in 61 chances, and June so far Green's got one error in 62 opportunities."

Batter-up with Bruno: Nick Green: 'I didn't know it was a walk-off'

The Yankees have just lost in a ninth-inning squeaker (6-5) to the Marlins. With nobody on and two out, they got two runners -- Posada and Cabrera -- on base, and they were tripled home by Gardner, scoring Posada and Cabrera. The Bronx Bombers are now four behind the BoSox. We need to do this early and try to build as much of a cushion as possible for reasons only BoSox fans (and maybe a few New York fans) truly know. [​IMG]

I am pleased that Boston has placed Matsuzaka on the 15-day disabled list. Francona believes it could be months before Matsuzaka is ready to pitch again. I'm quite happy to hear this, as it would be difficult for another pitcher on Boston's staff to pitch more poorly than he has thus far this year.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah. I heard him say on the Red Sox Radio Network after the game that he didn't realize it was the ninth inning and a walk-off. That's not too cool. What else is he not paying attention to? I admit his defense looked pretty good during today's game. And a ninth inning walk-off? That's pretty good, too. But to admit you had no idea what was going on in the game when you were batting? [​IMG]

And, this just in, AJ Burnett finally got his suspension reduced to 5 games. In other headlines, Bob Watson is still a slug.