What's new

2009 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I see that Jason Marquis is leading the NL in wins with 8...which figures, since the Cubs couldn't wait to get rid of him.

The only thing making it less painful is that our starting pitching has actually been pretty good so far.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't know about that Mark. Let's wait and see how this season's head-to-head series ends. They've been way too close each year for the past umpteen years.

Tonight was definitely a case of the Sox' pitching "getting 'er done."

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tony,

Why thank you. Your post above ("ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz") looks eerily like a row of sevens -- the score by which the Red Sox defeated the Yankees tonight. Thanks for that homage, and for your respect for the Red Sox. It is much appreciated. ;)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

And their struggles continue at Citi Field, even when the Phils did get a call their way at the plate.

Has anyone ever been to a minor league game? Which one and what did you think of it? I'm thinking about going to one myself.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Whaddya got to lose?!? ;) It's baseball and hot dogs! And, better yet...it'll be CHEAP! :D

What level of ball are you talking about, Walter? I've been several times to some A & AA games here in the Capital District in NYS. We used to have the Yankees A club (Albany-Colonie Yankees). Currently, we have the Astros' entry in the NY-Penn League (Hudson Valley ValleyCats). Occasionally a big name will stop by. Bernie Williams once played here on a rehab assignment. We saw some young future MLBers pass through (Brien Taylor, Andy Fox, etc.). And we even get juiced pitchers who come and through batting practice to the team because their son is trying to make the majors (Kobe Clemens' dad :D )

It's a whole different atmosphere than a major-league game because they are a ton less "serious" and they know they are playing to a crowd who aren't necessarily baseball purists and are just out to have a good time and be entertained. So there are a lot more between inning events and promotions...but it's all got a real small town summer baseball feel to it. It's definitely something you should experience! :emoji_thumbsup:

EDIT: Think "A League of Their Own" or "Bull Durham." ;) The talent is all really young (for the most part)...but you can get really close to the action. I remember being so impressed when I saw how fast (at one of those A-C Yankees games) pitches come in on a batter when I got to sit right behind home plate at one game--and how loud the pop of the ball in the glove was! The level of play can be surprisingly good...and surprisingly bad...all within the same game. Fun!

LewB

Screenwriter
Same deal here, we have the Hudson Valley Renegades. They have a bunch of raffles, games between innings and keep the fans into it. Much more kid/family oriented. Tickets and food are dirt cheap (anything is to this sticker shocked Yanks fan).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: The cool thing about food in most minor league parks is that it actually seems cheaper than going to most fast food places! AND...look behind you and there's a baseball game being played! :D

These operations are all about getting you into the park...and then getting you to come back! Some of 'em are real nice too!

Here's a couple shots of our local ballpark: The "Joe". Joe Bruno Stadium in Troy (great place to see a game!):

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Thanks Mike. I am sold then. :D

I plan to see the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, the triple-A affiliate of the Phillies, going this Friday.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,

We have the West Michigan Whitecaps. Although I've not yet been to a game, I listen to them regularly and find them to be very a enjoyable team to follow. I really do need to get to a game one of these days. It's only about an one-hour drive to the park.

Minor League Baseball: Clubs: West Michigan Whitecaps

Mike,

That stadium looks gorgeous -- almost like a major league ballpark.

BTW, I'd like some hot dogs, please. That way, I can tell if the park really is as good as it looks. Thanks. ;)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

I've been through Troy, New York two or three times in my life. It's one of the towns my wife and I traveled through en route from New England to Michigan. It's too bad we didn't have time at the time to check out the park. :emoji_thumbsup:

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

That is what I dread when visiting ballparks out-of-town, because of the rainout policy throughout baseball, which pretty much screws visiting fans.

Luckily in this case, I live 1 hour away from Lehigh Valley, so I would be able to go at another time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
walter I havent een to the Iron Pigs yet but I have been to
Trenton Thunder
Wilmington Blue Rocks
Reading Phillies

When we went to Cooperstown in 93 we stopped at a stadium in
Binghamton NY.

Reading is the best I've seen so far.

btw I won't be sleeping at least this Saturday night.
:D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm going to the Nats/Yanks game next Wednesday. Since Washington's playing, does that count as a minor league game?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Anyway, back in the mid-90s, I used to go to New Haven Ravens games when the team first started (AA affiliate of the Rockies at the time; last I heard, the team moved to NH). The GM of the team back then is currently the GM of Colorado (though I don't know for how much longer). I actually saw a couple players playing on the Ravens who are rather notable now, including Todd Helton and two-time World Series champ Craig Counsell. And the opposing teams had some pretty good players, too, with names like Jeter and Garciaparra.

It was an enjoyable experience going to the minor league games. We used to have seats in like the second or third row. The bullpen was right in front of the first-row seats and I remember the players in the bullpen talked to people in the first couple rows of seats. The ValleyCats are giving away the weirdest bobbleheads this year. The line-up: NY Gov. David Paterson, Henry Hudson (yes, the explorer), Michelle Obama and a local TV meteorologist (Steve Caporizzo, for the Albany people). Those choices just seemed kind of odd to me.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Since Washington's playing, does that count as a minor league game?"

Scott,

Hmmm. Nationals fans may have something to cheer about next year, given who they have signed (or are in the process of signing).

Mark,

Agreed. I'm happy 58 saved it for Wakefield. He got his eighth win tonight. He wasn't stellar, but his effort in the three runs he allowed was, it turns out, just good enough. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.