2009 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyway, it's been fun watching the phils quietly move up to the second best
record in baseball behind the dodgers who they will be playing the rest of the week.
should be fun.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Half of me thinks it's payback for Glavine leaving for the Mets 5 years ago, and half of me thinks it just too bad, but money is money, and they didn't think 80mph was going to cut it in the big leagues (tell that to Jamie Moyer and knuckler Tim Wakefield) when you have young arms (Hanson) supposedly ready for their time in the spotlight.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Randy Johnson just won his 300th career game, 5-1, though Giants closer Brian Wilson made it interesting in the bottom of the 8th. He came within inches of walking Adam Dunn with the bases loaded, which would have tied the game (the score was 2-1 at that point, SF scored 3 runs in the top of the 9th). But the 3-2 pitch was called a strike to end the inning. Coincidentally, Johnson gets 300 against the Nats, the franchise with which he began his major league career (as the Expos, of course).

How long until the next 300-game winner? Unless Moyer pitches until he's about 50 to get 50 more wins (not gonna happen), it'll be a long time. Here's a good SI article on the topic.

Apparently, pretty easily. A minor leaguer, who is a free agent, was just suspended 100 games yesterday for violating the drug policy. The suspension will begin if/when he gets signed by someone.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I think Tex's slide was the perfect response. At least he's got a fire in his belly and knows good hardnosed baseball.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I disagree, I think it was weak.

If he really wanted to get into it he would have gone out to Padilla and
settled it with him once and for all.
Instead he complained and whined about it all the way up to first base until his manager had to come out and give him a hug,
then went after the fielder while he was in a defenseless position.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But, Tony, breaking up a double play with a hard slide into second is appropriate baseball at any time...whether your ticked-off you've been hit by a pitch or not.

I would hope he'd make that same slide at any other time he's got the opportunity.

======================

I wish fans at ballparks would be more vocal with their displeasure about players who don't play the game hard enough. I think of all the Mets who lately have decided to stop running to first base on a batted ball. Most recently a Met popped up to the catcher in fair territory--and got thrown out (by a lot) because the catcher dropped the ball and threw to first. The runner clearly would hae had enough time to have beaten the play and been safe. The way the Mets are losing games lately that type of play (and it seems rampant on that team) should not be tolerated. Well, it never should be.

Melky Cabrera (he of the recent late inning heroics) hit the winning HR in today's Yankee game. Right after contact, he posed and watched the ball. When he decided that it might not be a HR, he decided he better run to first (it barely made it into the first row of the left-field seats). After he rounded first and realized it was a HR, he immediately slowed it down to a leisurely trot.

And you all know how I felt about that kind of behavior by Manny when he was on the Red Sox. Not that he would have even decided to run hard to first for fear the ball wasn't going out...

I read this week that the Tigers had a team meeting after the announcement of the GM situation. Jim Leyland reminded his players that a lot of the people they play for will be losing their jobs and that the Tiger players should not take their jobs for granted. He reminded them of the importance of hustling on every play because it was expected by the fans, by him and the coaches and of themselves. :emoji_thumbsup:

I told a buddy the other day all young players should be required to watch games featuring Pete Rose. I used to hate Pete when I was younger and he was playing. I sure do appreciate, though, now, how he used to play the game.

LewB

Screenwriter
What gets me about the whole deal is that Burnett got the suspension for throwing at a Texas player, WTF ?
The first pitch that hit Tex was up and in and grazed his sleeve, the second one hit him square in the wallet. There was obviously a history between these two. I give credit to the ump for not issuing the warnings 'till after Burnett did what he had to do. He basically let the players settle it (yeah, with retaliation). I really like the intensity that Tex brings with him. Burnett earned some cred with his teammates for protecting Tex. Seemed like it was all over the next game; no monkey business, just baseball.
I didn't see Melky 'styling' after the HR but if I were him, I'd just put my head down and run. He's not that far removed from his stint in the minors.
Speaking of Melky, this might be of some amusement value:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The problem with "playing the game hard" is that it makes you look like a goon....although, maybe the reason for that is because most players have a lackadaisical approach which makes any real effort look 'over-the-top'??

Youk always gets this response because he puts 110% into everything he does.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Youker is my favorite player for the BoSox. I do love his game -- every aspect of it. :emoji_thumbsup:

EricW

Senior HTF Member

the SS/2B on Texas didn't seem to have a problem with the play.

got this from another board:

"Tex is 2 for 8 with 2 HR, 2BB, 4 HBP against Padilla lifetime"

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

I think that's a good point.
in the first inning of the Phils/Dodgers last night Juan Pierre led off
with a single and then tried to steal second, a straight steal, but
furcal swings at a bad pitch and fouls it off, (should have seen the look on Pierre's face.)
then grounds into a double play.
Now everyone was surprised because furcal was out by plenty
on a tough dp for the Phils, it looked liked he didn't run, decided
it was a dp so didn't go all out on the play.

So I think it's a combo of lazy play and lack
of baseball smarts going around in the league.

last week with the phills down 2 in the ninth no outs Victorino
tries to steal 2nd and gets thrown out with Matt Stairs at the plate.
Not a smart play.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gibson was phenomenal in his day. I watched him pitch many times in the late 1960s, and he was a magician on the mound. What an ERA in 1968. (In fact, what a year in general for baseball in 1968 -- so many thrilling memories for me. I had no idea at the time that we may have seen our last 30-game winner when it was occurring.)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the first 2 times Tex faced Padilla, Tex homered. the 3rd time, he got hit.
Tex brought it up to him directly when they became teammates but i don't know where that went.
now flash forward to the present, Tex gets hit twice.
so, in 14 plate appearances, he's been hit 4 times.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mike,

Why do you say that? Is it because there are fewer approaching that goal in our lifetime, or is it because of something else? Shorter rotations? Fewer decisions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.