1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2009 MLB Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    This one will continue to confuse me for years, I fear. Where are Robin Yount and Gorman Thomas when you need them? [​IMG]

2. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

Just think of them as "Milwaukee" (you know, Spahn, Aaron, Burdette) and it's easy to do.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Ah. But, you see, the Braves are the "natural" rivals of the Red Sox in inter-league play.

Why? Because they're from Boston, of course. [​IMG]

So there ain't no winning in this situation! [​IMG]

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Damn! No wonder why you have so many 'hardcore' fans in the North East...all of these those "west" teams moved around so much, you didn't get a chance to pass down team loyalties from generation to generation.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    Where I live is equidistant from the Mariners, Rockies, and Giants/A's.

Whom should I root for?

Is it still OK to hate those Damn Yankees? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I'm happy the BoSox won tonight, and especially so for Matsuzaka. I never thought it would be June before he got his first win of the season.

The 5-1 victory over the Tigers was Francona's 500th. That's nice for him. He becomes the third Red Sox manager to pass that mark (Cronin and Higgins).

The Yankees won again, 12-3 over the 30-21 Texas Rangers. I'm hoping the Rangers will win a couple of these games against New York.

The American League East is doing quite well, with three teams (Boston, New York, and Toronto) at thirty or more wins. And if the Orioles win tonight, it will be an AL East sweep of games today and tonight.

7. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

btw i'm planning a trip to NY this year to see new Yankee Stadium. i was just wondering if there's an alternative to Stub Hub if i wanted to order tickets? they absolutely kill you on service charges...

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I don't treat the playoffs and WS as a separate entity from the regular season. I view them as an extension and culmination of the search for the year's best team. A team that wins 100 games should have more than just a one-extra-home-game advantage over a team that wins, say, 83 games. That way, it will be less of a fluke if the wild card team wins.

I see no point in leveling the playing field for the playoffs -- that would cheapen the regular season into irrelevance.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Got tickets to the Natinals game tonight! Hopefully the rain will hold up enough for the game to happen. Possibly I will witness baseball history.

10. MarkHastings

And what's up with Paps? He pulled a Matsuzaka by loading the bases (with no outs) then striking out the next 3 batters.

Classic, but heartache inducing.

11. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell

Mark,

I know, that was odd. I'm not sure what's going on. Three straight singles, and then three straight strikeouts. Hmmm.

I like the playoff structure as it now stands. I also think that the team with the best record ought to have the extra home game in the World Series, as opposed to the team in the league that wins the All-Star Game. I realize why they changed it to this, but last year, Francona -- in order to win the game -- almost had to do the unthinkable as he began to have fewer pitchers left to use. I think it should be like the NBA and NHL, in other words.

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Papelbon's been doing that all year. The word is that he and the team have changed his mechanics a fair amount because his old ones were causing soreness or the like. It looks like they've traded some control or command (whatever "command" is) for less injury risk.

Speculation is that the Red Sox front office believes Papelbon doesn't have that long a shelf life, and Daniel Bard is the heir apparent to that position.

13. MarkHastings

^^ My brother is starting to call him Papelbomb from all the homers he's been giving up.Eck mentioned last night how he was amazed that Paps wasn't throwing a lot of fast balls like he used to.

14. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Mark and Jason,

I have noticed a change in the way he holds his glove (and is the drop to the waist gone?) Anyway, the home runs don't concern me too much. His ERA is great, and he's doing a very good job. However, the strikeout-to-walk ratio is a bit of a cause for concern, I think.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I guess Smoltz is looking better and better in terms of moving on to the Red Sox, and getting to leave on his terms. Glavine definitely got released due to the money he would have been paid just for being on the team at those milestones.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Patrick: From a distance it looks like a pretty weak move by Braves management. Pissy way to treat one of your biggest stars. How does it look from close-up?

17. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Philip:

How late were you at the ballpark tonight? Get a little wet? [​IMG] Beaned by any hailstones? [​IMG]

Are your tickets good for tomorrow's game? If so, can you go? [​IMG]

I hope so...on all counts (except the rain/hailstone parts!).

18. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    Last night, I was waiting to see how Beckett would do after he brought his no-hit bid into the sixth. When he got the first two outs in the seventh, I was really getting quite excited. Of course, we could not watch the game due to it being blacked out, but the radio and computer were working just fine.

I really thought the Yankees would mount a comeback from 4-2 down in either the eighth or the ninth last night. I was surprised that that score held up.

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Much like the Josh Beckett suspension earlier this season, AJ Burnett has now been suspended 6 games for throwing up & in at the Ranger's Nelson Cruz a couple of days ago.

Meanwhile the Ranger's pitcher in that game, Vincente Padilla (who HIT a couple of guys AND threw up & in at a couple of other guys AND has since been released by his club(!) for such behavior) walks away with some undisclosed fines.

Idiotic.

20. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Looks like MLB is using the Colin Campbell book on issuing player discipline.