What's new

2009 MLB Thread (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was very happy to see Josh Beckett do well today. The ten strikeouts were a pleasant surprise, too. And Papelbon was effective.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I wished the Tigers had won. They had a 3-0 lead, but the pen let it slip away after the seventh inning. That isn't a good sign.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Hey, the Phillies need to open the season 0-2, and they need to do that on more than one occasion. It bodes well for them in the long run. ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok that was good, but now the starters need to stop giving up a runs in the first inning.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
NY reporters have been dropping hints over the past year or so that Joba might have some really serious issues. For his sake, I hope not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
here in philly on 610 WIP one of the hosts is saying he has serious
gambling issues and drinking problems.

Wouldn't go into detail but something about big piles of money for
gambling in clubs or with acquaintances.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
How about that comeback by the Phillies? They scored what, eight runs after trailing 10-3? Yeah, that must have been fun to see.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
R.I.P. Nick Adenhart

What a tragedy that this young talent was taken. He was only 22 and pitched a great game last night.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was just coming into this thread to report what I read on this. How sad. I watched Adenhart pitch for the first time a couple of nights ago during the Angles / Athletics game. When I read the news today, the first thing I thought of was Buddy Holley (1936-1959) -- both he and Adenhart (1986-2009) were twenty-two when their lives were cut short. My prayers are with the Adenhart family at this time.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
It is just so sad. I was watching last night thinking that he was pitching really well and was glad when relief pitchers came in as I am a die hard A's fan. When the A's came back and ended up winning I went to bed happy.

I get to work this morning and it is the first thing my boss tells me. It is just so weird and sad how quickly someone can go.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm biased, because in Jr. High, a classmate and his entire family were killed by a drunk driver.. on their way to the hospital to deliver a new baby into their family, everyone in the car was killed. The father was on the way to the hospital in a seperate car, as he left straight from his work to meet them there.

It was one of those things that just really hit me. Later, in high school a few students killed another by having him fall off of a truck while they were drunk, driving around back roads.

I've never been a drinker, and drunk driving is one of those crimes that really burns me. The person who caused the accident was already suspended on a prior drunk driving conviction. He was drunk when the accident happened last night. And, rather then stay for the cops, he saw the carnage and fled on foot.

Now, 3 people are dead, with a fourth critical. I'm going to be the arse here, but I'm hoping that more then reckless endangerment or manslaughter, he is prosecuted under a 2nd degree murder charge, and use of a weapon.. the weapon, of course, his car while he's drunk. It's happened elsewhere. Does it make him an example? Sure. And, if he had stayed at the scene and turned himself in, I might say 5-10 and counseling. But screw it, the guy fled the scene of the crime and tried to run away. Throw the book at him.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just an update.. the murderer has been charged with 3 counts of murder. He blew a .21 on the breathalyzer based on reports about 3 hours after the accident, which puts his level at the time of the accident likely above .24... three times the legal limit. But what probably helped cook his goose were: (a) giving a bogus address (b) running from the scene of the accident (c) prior conviction for drunk driving (d) no license because of the previous (e) violation of previous DUI agreement, apparently.

DA's may be lenient, but make them look like idiots for giving you leniency, then run or.. you know, kill a car full of people.. expect to get the book thrown at you.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I was pleased finally to see the BoSox win a regular-season game against the Angels yesterday. Penny looked good in spots, and Papelbon -- after looking a bit shaky -- got his second save. I think his fast ball was riding a bit high; at least it looked that way on the highlights.

The rubber game is today. Beckett, who looked very impressive on opening day (which was actually the next day, due to the game being rained out), is on the mound for Boston.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.