1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2009 MLB Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The SOB almost killed Francona. He was about to pass out at home plate and embarrassingly had to ask the guy he was yelling at to hold him up. The doctors had to give him an exam in the backroom, trying to get his pulse rate down. With his stomach problems, low circulation, and high blood pressure, Tito must be the most fragile manager in the league. Now I know why he always seems to keep calm; cause if he loses it, he could really lose it.

4. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I heard that this umpire was recently called up. Is this true? Maybe he had a point to make in this game, I don't know.

I found it really odd that both catchers and managers were ejected. I can't recall that happening recently.

5. MarkHastings

I can understand Tek; he was trying to cause a distraction so that Beckett wouldn't get booted (or suspended). He knew that Tichenor had a short fuse that night, which is why Tek jumped up so quickly and got in his face.

And that's exactly the reason why I supported keeping Tek when people wanted him traded at the end of last season. He doesn't wear that "C" for nothing!! That was a brilliant move on his part which helped maintain their lead and, eventually, the win.

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

He is a AAA ump who was called up at the last minute.

7. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Scott
    If I asked you who was leading MLB in home runs, how many of you would guess the Padres' Adrian Gonzalez? Probably not many. He hit his 20th home run today. 20 HRs before June - not too shabby. He is one of the most underrrated players in baseball, because he plays in San Diego. The last two years, he's hit 30 and 36 HRs, with 100+ RBI each year but no one knows about him. East Coast bias in full effect.

And it took 11 starts, but Zach Greinke's ERA is above 1 - at a sky-high 1.10 after giving up three runs today. Looks like it may be time for KC to send him down to Triple-A.

8. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    I would not have known about Gonzalez if I hadn't seen his accomplishments on Baseball Tonight this evening.

I was (am) also very impressed with Belisario. I didn't realize the twenty-six year old was a rookie for the Dodgers. He had some excellent stuff tonight against the Cubs.

9. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

And San Diego is just about the worst place to hit homers.

10. MarkHastings

San Diego has a team?? J/Kbias? I think not. It's all about success and drama.

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

When the fans of west coast baseball start caring enough to show up before the first inning, and stay until the last, then the rest of the country may follow suit. [​IMG]

12. Ockeghem

Ockeghem Ockeghem

Scott D. Atwell
    What are you talking about? Fans of west coast baseball are filing into the Staples Center around halftime. There is a good excuse, you know. [​IMG]

13. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

Well I would guess Gonzalez because I follow the sport and the sports stats.

I'm on the east coast so i'm not sure what east coast bias means.
    the surprising part of who is leading in homers is that it's a guy from the Padres.

how many of his dingers are at home?

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

"East Coast Bias" is the (valid) complaint that the national sports media tends to focus much more on East Coast teams (with a few exceptions, like the Lakers).

And by "valid complaint" I mean that the bias exists; on the other hand, the bias is understandable because people on the East Coast tend to care about sports a lot more than West Coast folks do. It's just a cultural thing.

15. MarkHastings

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[old man mode] You gotta remember, too, that until 1958 there was no major league baseball on the west coast.

The Giants & Dodgers used to play in NY. The Athletics were in Philadelphia. And, they played actual baseball in Washington! [​IMG] (cheap shot...couldn't resist! First in war, first in peace, last in the American League... Yada, yada, yada.)

It used to be that a "trip west" meant going to Chicago (Cubs/White Sox) or St. Louis Cards/Browns)! [​IMG] Not to mention that the main mode of travel was train... [/old man mode.]

Check out this map of MLB team locations...and you can see the cluster of teams that still exists in the northeast:

[​IMG]

17. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    Looking at that map, and seeing where the Western teams are, it's no wonder why the Texas Rangers wanted out of the AL West, and would have bought into Bud's crazy realignment plan back in the late 90's.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And don't forget the Braves used to be in the NL West! [​IMG]

It'll be a long time before I get used to the fact that the Brewers are in the National League.

19. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter

Same here. And sometimes, I tend to think of their matchups against NL opponents as interleague games.

As for Adrain Gonzalez, he has hit 5 of his 20 home runs at Petco.

20. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I loved the sportswriter (forgot his name) who wrote about his son's first game at Fenway. During the car ride home, the boy and his dad recounted the events of the day . . . The Sox won, his favorite hitter got a home run, and he even got a foul ball from the ball boy. But when asked by his dad what the "best part" was, the boy replied "The best part was the Yankees lost"

. . . and the Yankees weren't playing the Sox that day. [​IMG]