What's new

2009-2010 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
They seem to think that throwing the ball at the bat @ 150mph does the same thing as account for a 90mph pitch and a 60mph swing. I would think they're somewhat different...but maybe not.

yeah i wish they'd have "timewarped" a natural swing from above or something to see how much / if the bat bends. with regards to the ball compressing, it was something i've always wondered too, but even in the super-slo-mo Fox Cams etc it never seems like it does.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Had to refresh to get the reply box! I have Firefox 3.6.

In case anyone is interested in MLB - first game on my TV (ESPN-America) is Monday at 18:00 CET (11AM NYC). We change time this coming weekend. The game will be NYY-PHI

EricW

Senior HTF Member
WOW. Mauer signs for $184m, 8y (that's $23m per). i didn't think he would get that much for that long. maybe the 23 per is 'justified', but 8 years for a catcher? maybe he won't be catching for that long...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He's only 26, Eric. The Twins are going to get eight prime years out of the guy. That deal makes a lot of sense...as long as he stays healthy. That's always the crapshoot with these longterm contracts.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If that guy was a good starting pitcher from either side, he could potentially pitch every 2 days, alternating each arm every 4 days. Haha.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun Hadn't thought of that!

I'd like to see how they constructed the six-fingered glove he uses.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Now where did I put that copy of my Sidd Finch article....

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

If you're aghast at the floating realignment, you would probably really be aghast at the idea I've been toying with: floating locations.

Attendance always 'spikes' when baseball expands to a previously virgin territory. Of course, sometimes, the 'spike' only lasts a year or two. So why not take a low-drawing team, and move them to Oregon for two years, then to Virginia for two years, and then back to their 'base'. In a way, the Marlins already do this (to a very small degree) when they schedule an entire homestand in Puerto Rico.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Mike,

I fell for that article back when Plimpton originally wrote it. It was a very believable story, at least to me.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Dave B Ferris

If you're aghast at the floating realignment, you would probably really be aghast at the idea I've been toying with: floating locations.

Attendance always 'spikes' when baseball expands to a previously virgin territory. Of course, sometimes, the 'spike' only lasts a year or two. So why not take a low-drawing team, and move them to Oregon for two years, then to Virginia for two years, and then back to their 'base'. In a way, the Marlins already do this (to a very small degree) when they schedule an entire homestand in Puerto Rico.
Don't you mean the Expos, who did that in their final 2 seasons.

I remember when he toyed with the idea of radical realignment idea, which made the divisions based on geography. I thought it would have happened, if Selig would drop the NL and AL names and use East and West like the NBA and NHL, as some teams' main issue was switching leagues.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
April 14, 1910

President Obama will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first-ever Presidential "first pitch" at the Nationals' first home stand. All presidents since Taft, except Carter, have thrown out a first pitch at the start of a major league season.

There were some great players/teams in Baltimore in the 60s & 70s, Scott. Cuellar had a lifetime 3.14 ERA. Not bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks