What's new

2008 Summer Olympics - Beijing, China (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

And the ironic thing about the whole thing was that the Chinese government made lip-syncing illegal back in 2005 because it deceives the audience. I specifically made a big stink of it over at stevehoffman.tv because it goes against almost everything involving Chinese show business. In fact, one of the biggest names to pull "Milli Vanilli's" in Chinese cinema, Jackie Chan, also performed at the opening ceremony. I didn't see his performance broadcasted though.

To be fair, the opening ceremony wasn't a concert....it was just a show. Still, it was a stupid move. I am certain with a population of over 1 billion people, there's a kid out there who can sing AND look good.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to the gentleman from Togo, H. He should be proud, for winning a medal is a great accomplishment for anyone, nevermind being the first from your country to ever win. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
From CNN...

Lin was lip-syncing to the sound of another girl, 7-year-old Yang Peiyi, who was heard but not seen, apparently because she was deemed not cute enough.

"The reason was for the national interest," said Chen Qigang, the ceremony's musical director, in a state radio interview. "The child on camera should be flawless in image, internal feeling and expression. ... Lin Miaoke is excellent in those aspects."

Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Chen? :rolleyes

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, it was probably closer to 12:30. I didn't get to bed until 2AM and it's all kind of a blur between 12:30 and then.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's unfortunate that the Chinese women's gymnastics team has such a cloud over it (some of those girls barely looked 12, much less 16...) but the better team clearly one tonight. After the Chinese fell apart on the balance beam, I thought the US might have a shot. But their confidence was already shaken, and the mistakes compounded. Most of the American girls looked really snobby, too.

That swimming relay was insane. Nice to be able to end the broadcast with "The Star Spangled Banner".

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I think having the girl lip sync was pretty lame, but as far as I know, the only CGI's part of the fireworks was the aerial shot with the "footprint" fireworks leading up to the stadium, which I realized was CGI when I first saw it. I think Bob Costas even said as much during the broadcast, so I don't see what the big deal is about that. The Opening Ceremonies were still stunning.

Until we find out that the mass choreography was faked as well! ;)

Also, there is no way some of those Chinese gymnasts are old enough.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
The US team put on a great display especially when you consider the difference in training methods. The Chinese select girls at the age of three and take them from their parents to train full time. Then when they turn 12 they can compete in the Olympics! ;)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
After hearing how the Chinese take these kids at 3yrs old from their families to train full time to become Olympic gymnasts. Its amazing the US is even close. One girl on the Chinese team said she only saw her family once a year. Holy moley!

**Marianne, you beat me by a couple of minutes.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

Only if you submit to a drug test. ;)

The only way I'm keeping the time difference straight is Phelp's schedule. Here's his last 3 races:

Race No. 6 -- 200 individual medley: Friday morning Beijing time, Thursday night in the U.S.
Race No. 7 -- 100 butterfly: Saturday morning Beijing time, Friday night in the U.S.
Race No. 8 -- 4x100 medley relay: Sunday morning Beijing time, Saturday night in the U.S.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Beijing time is UTC+8 (no Daylight Saving Time since 1991). Eastern Daylight Time is UTC-4. 4+8=12, so Beijing is exactly 12 hours ahead of the east coast US. That being the case, simply take the time on your 12-hour clock and flip the AM and PM.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Did anyone catch Andrea Joyce's "interview" of the Gymnastics team captain after the competition. What a low brow bit of work from Joyce, who basically brow beat her until she was choking back tears. Everyone saw what a difficult time she had in the competition. This isn't some politician you are calling out. Tacky work from Joyce.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
NBC's coverage has been horrible, period (par for the course whenever they've broadcast the games).

I'm very thankful I live in an area where I can get the CBC coverage from Canada. Leagues ahead of NBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks