What's new

2008 Summer Olympics - Beijing, China (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
By the way, not knowing anything about her, am I the only one who did a double take when Zimbabwe's Kirsty Coventry was interviewed? :D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
She sounds like a southern girl. But that's her college. Lots of these swimmers went to school in the States.

Good night for the Americans in the Cube tonight. 7 medals in total, 3 of the 4 Golds, plus two each of Silver and Bronze. Lots of new World Records these games...it's a very fast pool.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
questions:

1) has there been any official reaction from the french relay team (interview, etc) on their loss?

2) is there a sensor at the end of the pool that swimmers touch to stop the clock?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I don't know about an official reaction, but based on the end of the race and the medal ceremony they seemed to be good sports about it.

Yes.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I'd say that is a great night. Yes, it is a fast pool, but the WR have been falling fast all year including the US trials. It is amazing the progress that has been made in swimming and the new suits have been a part of that.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just happened to flip to NBC and saw 2 sick dismounts by the US on the bar. Considering the US lost the Hamms right before the games, this team performance is just mind-boggling.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Jonathan Horton and Justin Spring on high bar.

Mind. Blown.

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

GO TEAM USA!!!!!!!!!!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Gymnastics drives me nuts because of the judging and scoring system. The new system just seems to make it worse.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think I would enjoy beach volleyball more if not for the song clips they play between serves. It gets on my nerves fast.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Dang, I didn't think I would find the men's gymnastics this compelling. Great job by the Chinese-- that place should be rocking. Outstanding job by the Americans. The last kid on the pommel horse really stepped up for the US. Talk about pressure.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That pommel horse performance was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I swear the laws of gravity were repealed during his routine.

And I also dislike the new scoring system.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I know, it takes so freaking long.

When did the men's final end? I set the VCR to record til 12:30 AM, but the competition was still not finished.

But congrats to the US Men for getting a medal, a huge surprise! And the Chinese, for winning gold at home.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Oh dear. Read my post again, this time carefully, or I'll keep you in after school. I was lumping the UK in with the USA and pointing out that we BOTH have insular perspectives.

I've never ONCE in my posts adopted an anti-American stance, except tongue in cheek (yes, I know Brit sarcasm is at times hard to grasp, but trust me, it's worth the effort). I'm just trying to restore a little bit of balance to the picture. The fact that I've done this on several occasions should actually tell you something ...

For what it's worth, I was cheering along Michael Phelps earlier - he is a superb swimmer and I'd love to see him get his full clutch of medals. And yes, the 4x100 was an exciting race. To be honest, objectively I think the women's 400m was more exciting, but heck, let's just be grateful we're getting some good swimming in these games.

As a matter of interest, are any of you guys gripped by the rowing? It's a biggish sport in the UK, so it's getting heavy coverage over here.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Don't get your little post-empire panties in a bunch Andrew, I was pointing out your utter predictability, not any anti-US stance. I guess American sarcasm is also a little hard to grasp (not to mention the liberal use of emoticons). That you've become predictable is something I wouldn't expect from someone as observant as you, even on a subject so dear to your heart as pointing out the "differences" (*cough* superiority *cough*) in the Brit point of view.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member

I saw some rowing on the first day. All of our "prime time" stuff has been swimming and gymastics so far.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Which is the correct way to add up the medals - total number of medals (so a country with tons of bronzes could be at the top) or country with most golds (followed by silvers, bronzes)?

On NBC they do it the total medals way:

US - 21 total medals
China - 20 total medals
S. Korea - 12 total medals

2008 Beijing Summer Olympic Games | Medal - Women's Air Rifle Standings 2008 | NBC Olympics

I don't know why the link looks wrong - it does take you to the medals table.

On the BBC they do it the total golds way:

China - 13
USA - 7
S. Korea - 5

BBC SPORT | Olympics | Medals table | Olympics

Just wondering - not trying to start an international incident! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks