1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2008 Stanley Cup finals

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bob McLaughlin, May 20, 2008.

1. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Congratulations, Red Wings! There is no doubt about it, the Red Wings are truly deserving of winning the cup. We're pretty proud of our Penguins here but no matter what we threw at the Wings, they were able to withstand it. I would have loved to see this go to 7 and we had our chances, but in the end Detroit was just too good.

I'm sure Fleury is going to be thinking about that puck he should have sat on all summer...

2. BrettV

BrettV Stunt Coordinator

Agreed. He'll never forget that one.

Things like that will (and do) happen in hockey, and especially in the playoffs. I'm sure, had the wings lost, osgood would have never forgotten about that 35 seconds in the third period of game 5 .. what might have been.

Fleury is a stanley cup caliber goal tender. He was really fun to watch! Crosby is one of the best players I've seen in recent years, but he needs to get a grip on his emotions just a bit.

Again, congratulations to the Red Wings on the cup, and congratulations to the Penguins for a series will fought and played.

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Not sure there is enough NHL interest on this board to start a new thread just for the off season, so...

How about the Wings off-season so far? Pretty dang good as far as I'm concerned. I'm starting to feel for the our Penguin fans though, but with Crosby and Malkin both locked up for a while they will still be awfully good as long as Fleury continues his awesome play.

Edited to add: Well, I've been looking into the Pens situation a little more and it is probably not as bad as it seemed to me. I heard that they have re-signed Orpik and they look to be making a strong run at Jagr.

4. Bob McLaughlin

Bob
    Yeah, losing Hossa to the Wings was a bit of a blow, but really the Pens chances of retaining Hossa and staying under the cap weren't very good anyway. Still, the Wings are going to be even more formidable next year.

Glad to see the Pens pick up Satan. He's coming off a relatively bad season statistically but I think he could really shine on this team.

5. BrettV

BrettV Stunt Coordinator

Really exciting news about Hossa.

6. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Despite their off-season losses the Penguins seem to be doing well. We knew they were going to have trouble keeping that roster intact, but it still looks like they are going to be the (or at least one of the) favorite (s) in the East.

And of course I'm stoked about the Wings. They're celebrating the cup and look great for trying to repeat. Not to mention that they look to be in good shape for the future.

Did anyone see that the NHL is trying to plan a Blackhawks vs. Wings outdoor game at Wrigley? I wonder if it will be as successful as the Sabres/Penguins game from last year.

7. Bob McLaughlin

Bob
    Wow, hockey at Wrigley! That will be an awesome sight to see. What a venue. I'm sure it will sell out in no time.

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
  9. Bob McLaughlin

Bob
    That is surprising. I wonder what his motivation is? I guess he wants a new challenge.

10. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David