What's new

2008 Stanley Cup finals (1 Viewer)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Any hockey fans out there? I was surprised there wasn't at least an NHL postseason thread, let alone an NHL thread.

Sure, it would have been nice for the Penguins if the Red Wings/Stars series had gone to seven games, but I'm glad to see Detroit win it--they are a consistently great team with a great history, and they truly deserve to be in the finals. That said, as a Pittsburgher I am a huge Penguins fan and very excited about this young dynamic team. They've been unbeatable at home in the postseason this year, but this will be the first series where they don't have home-ice advantage, so it should be interesting to see how they react if they start out with a loss in Detroit. I'll be happy if they manage to at least split in the first two games.

Let's hear some hockey talk!

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

I was just wondering the very same thing.

Penguins/Red Wings is the best match-up the NHL could have hoped for. Even still, I imagine the ratings / general interest will be pathetic.

I've loved the game since I was 7 or 8 (and that's going back to the last days of the Original Six :eek:).

So here's what's been driving me crazy lately: the inconsistency of the penalty calling. It's painfully obvious that the circumstances of the game dictate what will be called, and against whom.

Last night's game, for example. Before the Wings scored their third goal there were two penalties called, one against each team.

Once the score became 3-0 and the Wings showed they were dominating the game, the refs did all they could to give the Stars a boost.

Specifically, from then on there were nine more penalties called, and seven of them were against the Wings.

I'm not saying some of the calls weren't legitimate, but at least two or three were very questionable, and at least that many could have been whistled against the Stars. A blatant spear of McCarty, a blatant late hit of Lidstrom and an obvious and forceful cross-check on Draper are three examples that come to mind. None of these were called.

When coaching softball once, the umpire asked me the score of the game. I responded, "Why would you need to know that?" The style of officiating should not vary with the score.

Anyway, looking forward to a great final series.

Obligatory prediction: Wings in 5.

Jon

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This should be an entertaining Finals. Both teams have a lot of offensive firepower. IMO, the Wings have the edge defensively. I think the key will be the Pens' young goaltender. Detroit knows what they will get with Osgood -- steady, not spectacular, won't lose the series but cannot carry the team, either. Pittsburgh, OTOH, has an inexperienced unknown in the net. If he plays well, the Pens have an excellent chance.

I was a little disappointed in the playoffs so far, since my Habs faltered badly in the 2nd round against an inferior Philly team. Montreal outplayed the Flyers in every aspect of the game except the most critical one -- goaltending. The Canadiens rookie goalie Carey Price really struggled, while Biron stood on his head to carry Philly in that round.

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
That's the first I've ever heard Fleury, a first-round draft pick, referred to as an "unknown". Of course I am a bit biased! Hopefully he makes a name for himself this year.

So true about the penalty-calling. In the postseason the inconsistency of the calls seems especially egregious. I swear half the times the refs have blinders on.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I think the Detroit/Pittsburgh matchup is the best for the NHL. You have plenty of the world's top offense on display, and lots of other stars. I hope my Wings take it again, but if not, it would be nice to see Crosby hoist his first cup.

Wings in 5.

CJ

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I meant "unknown" as in it's unknown how he will perform under the pressure of the Finals against a team as good as Detroit. Re-reading my earlier post, I see how that could easily have been misinterpreted. I know Fleury was a #1 draft pick, but this is his first time on the big stage.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

I have to admit, I was surprised that the Flyers pulled it out in the 2nd round, considering how they struggled in the 1st round against the Capitals and Game 1 against the Habs, when they blew the lead with only seconds left in regulation.

The Wings and Penguins is a matchup even Bettman would like.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It is great to see Detroit back in the finals and the match-up against the Pittsburgh should be great. I do have to admit that Pittsburgh scares me a bit. They have looked unstoppable-- not that the Wings have looked bad the last two rounds and this has the feeling of a championship run. Still, I'm worried and I hope they get Franzen back. Crosby will have his chance to hoist the cup. I just hope it's not this year. He'll enjoy it more if he has to wait longer. :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I usually don't get into the post season once my Canucks are out of the picture, but the playoffs this year have been pretty entertaining.

The officiating sucks as bad as it usually does, especially the goals being waved off for interference. Some consistency would be nice.

I'm rooting for Pittsburg only because this may be the only year that they can put this kind of team together. Hossa won't be back, and as soon as Malkin is an RFA the team will be needing to seriously shed salary, assuming he isn't poached. Detroit will certainly not be rolling over.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I don't know that two American teams is the ideal final for the NHL given the lack of interest from Canada but it'll be entertaining non the less. Its good to see Detriot finally make the final having had such strong teams these last few years ...but i'm rooting for the Penguins to win it.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And?

Like why dies he think this? Is he a hockey expert with special inside info? What do you think? I have already admitted that as a Detroit fan this matchup worries me, but I find little evidence to support an opinion like the one stated above. The Wings had the best record in the regular season and they have been almost as good as the Penguins in the playoffs. I don't think anyone is getting rid of them in short order.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

[/quote]

His reasoning is that Pittsburgh has youth and speed on their side. His view of Detroit is that they have more experience but the team roster is for the most part old, age wise. I told him that he shouldn't discount experience, but his feeling is that Pittsburgh's team, being young, is pretty well going to out-skate and out-maneuver Detroit.

In my case, I still say that you cannot discount experience. Desire also has a lot to do with it.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Detroit isn't as old as many think. They have acquired some youth and developed some as well , Datsyuk is 30, Zetterburg is 28, Franzen is 29, Filppula is 24, Dan Cleary is 30. Sure you have the real old guys like Lidstrom, Osgood, and the dinosaur Chelios, but I think it is a very good mix. And with that mix I think the experience meshes well with the skill of the young players. Either way this series should be good. Wings in 6.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, it has been a very entertaining game so far. Another questionable call against Holmstrom on a goal.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Interesting. Detroit up by one. May not be quite as easy for PP's as he thought. Have to wait and see. I can't watch the series since I canceled my cable and satellite services a long time ago.....so no TV service.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I don't get why people think Detroit is this aging dinosaur. They don't have a ton of under 22-year-olds, but their offensive firepower is in the prime of their career. Datsyuk is 29, Zetterberg 27, Franzen 28...And Lidstrom, while in his mid 30s, has all but won his 6th Norris Trophy in 7 years. Both teams are great, that's why they are here. Anyone who claims that a certain team *will* win because of xxx, probably has no idea what he's talking about.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks