What's new

2008 NCAA College Football Thread (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I received the SportSync radio yesterday and tried it out. The only flaw I could find is the sound quality decreases a bit when the delay is used. Other than that it works like a charm. Now I can listen to Munson synced with the television feed.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Since football season hasn't started, technically every football fan can be happy so far. Only joking!! ;)

As a U of Illinois fan we are hopeful the football team can put together two consecutive seasons of winning football. This is something Illinois has not done in a long time. Comcast finally started broadcasting the Big Ten Network, so I will be happy now.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
I'm looking for my UMASS Minutemen to take the National Championship in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (you know, that Division where the National Champion is decided by an actual play-off series.).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
My two teams are USC (alumni) and Missouri Tigers (home state), so I've been looking forward to this season all year long! My dream matchup is Trojans v. Tigers in the NC this year and Daniel with the Heisman.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
If one of those teams makes it to the NC I'll seriously consider the trip to Miami, but if both of them go, there's no stopping me.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of Missouri Tigers, Illinois is going to get an early test to see how good the team will be this year. Us Illini fans are excited about this team after last year's success, although opponents won't be taking the U of I for granted.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I still maintain that the Illinois/Mizzou game last year was one of the single most exciting games of football I've watched. Ever.

I'm not taking the rematch opener this year lightly, and I'm definitely a bit worried about it, but more excited than worried.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
South Dakota St. vs Iowa St.

Wake Forest vs Baylor

Not sure that really qualifies as 'football' :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I know it's inevitable that at one or more games this season, USC is going to play like crap. The question for me will be "is this a great USC team, just having a bad day or is this a not-so-great USC team?".

For me, Ohio State will be the telling game. If USC wins, then they are legitimate title contenders, and a later bad outing (hopefully winning ugly, and not losing a close one) will just be a great team losing focus or not trying as hard as they should. But if Ohio State wins, then we'll know USC just isn't that good this year, and getting to the Rose Bowl will be a long shot to dream about.

We'll see.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
even if USC loses to Ohio State they still have an excellent shot at the Rose Bowl, particularly with Oregon's quarterback troubles. I can foresee Washington and Stanford both surprising this year and both contending to be in the upper half of the pac 10 with the oregons ASU and cal.

it's a shame that if the pac10 happens to be deep with parity and competition the conference will be perceived as mediocre and underperforming but the SEC will be perceived as great for the same thing. Still I think the Pac10 is only the third toughest conference this year (last year I had them and the SEC as about equally tough) behind the SEC and the Big12 in the 1 and 2 spots.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I don't disagree Adam. I wasn't really trying to make any predictions - we all know that USC could go undefeated and still get screwed out of the title game (hell, they've been #1 in both polls and got left out), and USC could lose to Ohio State and maybe still get into the title game.

I was reflecting more on actual talent and what USC deserves. If they beat Ohio State, I think it likely that they are a great team that (barring some mental screwup) will deserve a trip to the title game (though I think there'd be a good chance that the BCS would screw them out of it - that's what the BCS does best - screw over deserving teams).

On the other hand, if USC loses to Ohio State, then it's almost certain that USC just isn't good enough to get there this year (though they still might get in - they could be the tool the BCS uses to screw over someone else for a change).

In any case, if they turn out to be bad enough not to even deserve a trip to the Rose Bowl, then it's a major disaster of a year.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Already controversy over bowl games and we are still 10 hours from the first game, I love it.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Yeah, according to the MSM the only two teams that can possibly be in the NC game are the winners of the USC/Ohio State game and the Florida/Georgia game. :frowning:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
At the beginning of any college football season just ask yourself one question - is there still a BCS and still no playoff? If so, then you can be certain that controversy will be a given.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The South Carolina/NC State game was awful. Two terrible teams. The score does not tell the true story of how bad they are.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I only watched the first half of that game, and I agree. The SC quarterback was terrible, and the Gamecocks committed penalty after penalty. NC State wasn't any better.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

Well, as far as the Big 12 is concerned - the way that Iowa State and Baylor played in their games (Iowa State won, Baylor lost to WF) there isn't much speculation on who ends up at the bottom.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Uga VII has been revealed!

New mascot...season starting tomorrow...ranked #1...things are looking good!

I've got to admit, however, I'm not sure we will be able to navigate our schedule without losing 1-2 games. This is probably the toughest schedule I've ever seen in my life. Finger's crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread