Shark

Returning:
HIMYM
Old Christine
The Unit
Rules of Engagement

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Huh. Again, I sort of figured that once you get up past the minimum threshold for syndication, getting more episodes didn't help that much. For According to Jim, is Buena Vista going to get much more money from stations for a show that cycles in 32 weeks rather than 28? It kind of seems that once you get past the point where a given episode is showing three times a year, "extra" episodes wouldn't be that big a deal.

Rocky F

Second Unit

I wouldn't have thunk it either, but I came across an article discussing this a few weeks back, when ABC first announced they were renewing Jim. Apparently, stations pay by the episode, so more episodes mean more money.

Oh, and not to rush you or anything, but the CW info should be available soon:
CW Fall Lineup Targets Young Women - TVWeek - News

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

Yeah we dvr'd Jericho and never got around to watching it. I really was looking forward to the new season to see how they would close the last season, but then I just sort of lost interest.

The only nights we have been watching tv are Tues/Weds for Idol and Thurs for Survivor. We do watch dvd's from our netflix queue, but not as often as we use to. Although since I am not all that enthused by the fall lineup (other than the shows I mentioned in an earlier post), I am going to go back and watch earlier seasons of Survivor on dvd.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, got it. CW is just different from other networks - where Sunday night is valuable real estate for almost every other station, CW is basically giving up and outsourcing it. They apparently haven't even shot any pilots, and Reaper is apparently the only thing on its bench. I half-suspect that Beauty and the Geek is on tap, too, but that's all kinds of weak, especially if Smallville crashes and burns without half its cast (especially if they lose Allison Mack).

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I heard a rumour that Fox might pick up Moonlight.

Oops my bad it was People's Choice Awards 2008 shouldn't that count for something.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Hehe... well evidently People's Choice doesn't count as much as People's Actually Watching. :rotfl:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
CBS is up. First: Putting Without a Trace on at the same time as Special Victims Unit is downright mean. Second, I wonder if CBS/Bruckheimer approached Patrick Stewart for Eleventh Hour, as he played the character in the original UK version. Third, Worst Week really seems like something that would work better in the UK short-series format (from whence it came) than a continuing, 22-episode-with-hopes-of-renewal US comedy.

As I said in the Moonlight thread, CBS is a tough nut to crack. They've been doing so well for the last few years, that a healthy amount of churn is likely to lead to a few relatively popular shows being canceled. I won't actually miss Moonlight, but Shark not getting a third year surprises me.

Also, it looks like we're getting two Amazing Races this year.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
The rumors that I have been hearing are that there is a (very) slight chance that CW would pick up Moonlight for it's Sunday slot.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, that didn't make sense to me, either. I'd think they'd give up Friday before Sunday.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
CW does get completely pummeled on Sunday - I don't think they've ever really tried to program it aggressively. I think their options are basically putting a flagship show there or giving up, and since Smallville is already on Thursday and they're not willing to move Top Model, they either need to develop something strong or roll over. Looks like they've chosen rolling over.

The group they're outsourcing to doesn't look very impressive, though. It strikes me that there's got to be better ways to use the slot - if either the NBA or NHL wasn't locked into contracts with the other networks, that would probably be a great idea.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Very, very happy that "The Amazing Race" is on CBS' 2008 Fall sched.

We only had one edition this season, but the ratings proved to be very solid once again. And since they are already casting TAR 14, I can only assume that we'll get a spring edition of the show as well.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm very surprised at the "Moonlight" cancellation. I love the show. Well, no more CBS shows left for me.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I little bummed about Shark. It is not a huge loss, but it was a good way to waste 40+ minutes.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Check it out - Fox. For some reason, they seem to really want to move Bones to Friday at 8pm; that was part of the plan last year. They've flip-flopped Terminator and Prison Break and don't seem to have either penciled in for spring. Til Death appears to be more evidence that dumb guy/tolerant woman comedies simply cannot be killed despite the fact that it's hard to find people who actually like them.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
So what Brain Damaged person's idea is it to put 3 shows with the exact same demographics on at the same time?

Is the idea to dilute the viewers?

Seems like it would make more sense to put a show on you network at a time when the shows demographics have nothing else they want to watch.

I am referring to Monday at 8pm. Big Bang, Chuck and Terminator all would seem to have the exact same viewers.

I am going to have to pass on 1 of them (Terminator) because I can only watch one and record one.

I think a random timeslot generator would do a much better job at programming than the idiots that are currently doing it.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Remember that the networks aren't trying to cooperate with each other, but rather they want to beat each other. If a network feels that have a substantially better show, they'll program it against a strong competitor they want to undercut, while they'll put their weakest shows against the weakest competition. Giving up a demographic in a premium time-slot, because a competitor is trying for that same demographic in that same time-slot, is a loser's tactic.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Or at least maximize their own viewership/revenue. That's why networks tend to put their strongest shows on Sunday and Thursday - the former has the most viewers, the latter gets the most advertising money per viewer. It's not important to be #1 for the night, just get as many viewers as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks