1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2008 at the Box Office

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TerryRL, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I love Will Smith but never underestimate the ability of celebrities to fuck up, or the public's appetite for hard falls. "The mob is fickle" [​IMG].

--
    H

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Wow, I actually had no idea I was doing that. Thanks for pointing it out, its been fixed.

I am prone to the occasional brain fart when putting these things together. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem. [​IMG] I had seen it for the last couple weeks and your posts are usually so well grounded in their facts that I didn't want to say anything since I thought I may be missing the perfectly logical reason for such an abbreviation!

I love Will Smith but never underestimate the ability of celebrities to fuck up, or the public's appetite for hard falls.

Or for the media to engage in an old fashioned character assassination:

Smith: 'Hitler was a good person'

Will Smith has stunned the world by declaring that even Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler was essentially a "good" person.

The Men In Black star, 39, is determined to see the best in people, and is convinced the former German leader did not fully understand the extent of the pain and suffering his actions would cause during his time in power in the 1930s and '40s.

He says, "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'Let me do the most evil thing I can do today'.

"I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good'. Stuff like that just needs reprogramming."

Hitler's totalitarian leadership as Fuhrer during 1934 until his eventual suicide in 1945 resulted in the persecution of an estimated six million Jews in the Holocaust, and his invasion of Poland in 1939 led to the start of the Second World War.

Quite the shameful article.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Indeed. At least the whole thing is such a vile and thorough distortion that it failed to gain any kind of traction. The article is 2 weeks old and this is the first I am hearing of it.

Expect them to keep trying.

--
    H

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

What strikes me as funny about the article is that Smith really isn't doing anything especially wrong, although the article sensationally tries to spin it as if he is. He's not saying he loves Hitler, merely making the reasonable point that evil people don't think of themselves as evil. If anything Smith comes across as naive and good-hearted. As character flaws go, one could do a lot worse than "has too much faith in humanity" [​IMG]

5. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

Well ... looks the Cruise/Smith discussion might take on a more interesting twist now ... Will Smith and his wife Jada are apparently Scientologists (likely recruited by Cruise himself).

Will Smith boosting Scientology

My guess is with Smith they will keep this more low key to avoid a public back lash as what happened with Cruise.

While of course I don't think Will Smith condones Hitler it does make his alleged remarks a bit more eye opening, especially the bit where he says essentially Hitler just needed "reprogramming". Hmm. Probably a very Scientologist-like view.

I don't think being a Scientologist really hurts a person's box office draw though, Cruise was a well known Scientology for years and years, it was only until he decided to get into very public rows about it and appeared clearly out of it on Oprah that there was a backlash.

6. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    yeah, can we keep gossip out of this? smith has already denied that as well and the link goes to a column with big letters on top saying gossip.

back to box office. how do you expect El Orfanato (The Orphanage) to do? i saw that a few months ago w/Q&A with director. it's quite an interesting and well made film.

7. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

EDIT: Doing some additional research this is Smith's stance is he has looked into Scientology but does not subscribe to any particular organized religion, but faith in general. The reason it was brought up is because we were discussing Smith vs. Cruise in regards to their box office appeal.

Anyways getting back to 2008 box office talk, I think 27 Dresses could find an audience in January as well. Could be a solid month relative to the time of year, especially when you get women coming out to support films like Juno.

8. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i really hope el orfanato does phenemonal biz. it's such a solid piece of filmmaking. i don't think 27 Dresses will find an audience until februrary (V-day).

the biggest BO of January will be Cloverfield due to the publicity it has generated.

9. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

With "The Bucket List", "First Sunday", and "Juno" all vying for the top spot this weekend, many are already focused on next weekend's Martin Luther King holiday frame which will see "Cloverfield", "27 Dresses", and "Mad Money" hit theaters.

Next weekend will also see "Michael Clayton" return to multiplexes (to cash in on its many hoped for Oscar nods) and "No Country for Old Men" will finally go into wide
    release (entering about 1,500 theaters).

Studios are cautiously optimistic that next week will mark the best four-day haul ever for the Martin Luther King holiday frame, besting the $146.6 million four-day haul from 2001 ("Save the Last Dance" was the top earning flick that weekend).

Based on the film's ("Cloverfield") strong tracking thus far, Paramount believes that the movie has a shot at besting the MLK opening record of "Black Hawk Down" ($33.6 million over the four days), as well as possibly challenging the overall January record opening of the "Star Wars" Special Edition. That flick pulled in $35.9 million back in '97, today that would translate to an opening haul of more than $53 million.

Whether or not "Cloverfield" has a record start, many are banking on the movie having a great opening, along with "27 Dresses", "Mad Money", and 'No Country'. With holdovers such as NT2, "I Am Legend", and 'the Chipmunks' still packing theaters, the industry is hopeful of a monster (no pun intended) showing next weekend.

10. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

The early estimates have "The Bucket List" topping the box office yesterday with about $6 million, which should lead to a debut weekend mark in the neighborhood of $18 million, giving director Rob Reiner the biggest opening haul of his career. That number would beat the $15.5 million launch of "A Few Good Men" back in '92 (which would translate to about $25 million in today's marketplace).

"First Sunday" was very close behind as it pulled in stronger-than-anticipated numbers. It should earn about $15-$17 million this weekend. "Juno" was third with more than $4 million, while NT2 and "I Am Legend" continued to show solid legs as they rounded out the top five.

Both "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" and "The Orphanage" didn't seem to make much noise with moviegoers, while 'In the Name of the King' crashed and burned as it failed to earn a spot in the top ten.

11. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Friday Estimates

#1 "The Bucket List" $6.4 million ($7.8 million) 7,463% Friday-to-Friday increase
    #2 "First Sunday" $6.2 million
    #3 "Juno" $4.6 million ($61.9 million) 13% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #4 "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" $3.3 million ($179.1 million) 49% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #5 "I Am Legend" $2.6 million ($234.7 million) 49% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #6 "One Missed Call" $2.2 million ($16.7 million) 59% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #7 "Alvin & the Chipmunks" $1.9 million ($180.6 million) 59% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #8 "P.S. I Love You" $1.6 million ($43.6 million) 38% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #9 "Charlie Wilson's War" $1.4 million ($56.6 million) 47% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #10 "Atonement" $1.3 million ($22.2 million) 14% Friday-to-Friday drop

12. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Did Juno add theaters? Because that 13% drop is amazing considering that almost everything else had closer to 50% drops.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  14. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

"Juno" entered 523 more theaters this weekend. It is now playing in 2,448 locations.

15. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Weekend Estimates

#1 "The Bucket List" $19.5 million ($21.0 million) +5,879%
    #2 "First Sunday" $19.0 million
    #3 "Juno" $14.0 million ($71.3 million) -12%
    #4 "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" $11.5 million ($187.3 million) -43%
    #5 "Alvin & the Chipmunks" $9.1 million ($187.7 million) -42%
    #6 "I Am Legend" $8.1 million ($240.2 million) -48%
    #7 "One Missed Call" $6.1 million ($20.6 million) -51%
    #8 "P.S. I Love You" $5.0 million ($47.0 million) -36%
    #9 "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" $4.4 million
    #10 "Atonement" $4.3 million ($25.2 million) -15%

For only the second time in the history of the month of January, the top ten films earned more than $100 million during the month's sophomore weekend session. Depending on how the rest of the month's offerings perform, January '08 could become the fist time a January frame has topped the century mark in ticket sales during every weekend.

Business was up 12% compared to this frame last year, as well as being 9% stronger than this weekend in '06. The top twelve films pulled in $108.8 million, which is the second best second-weekend mark ever for January following the $117.8 million Martin Luther King holiday mark from '05.

2008's year-to-date gross now stands at $407.5 million, representing an 11% increase over last year ($368.3 million), up a stellar 21% over '06 ($337.8 million), a whopping 36% stronger than '05 ($300.4 million), and a 13% improvement over '04 ($362.1 million).

WB's "The Bucket List", which stars Oscar-winners Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, went into wide release this weekend and topped the charts with nearly $20 million. The buddy-comedy entered 2,895 more locations as it enjoyed a massive 5,879% increase in business. The film's average of $6,712 from its 2,911 locations was the second best of the top ten.

"The Bucket List" also earned director Rob Reiner the biggest opening mark of his career, besting the $15.5 million start of "A Few Good Men" 16 years ago, as well as being his first double-digit debut haul since 1995's "The American President" ($10.0 million). The studio is expecting a leggy run from this one in the coming weeks, on top of a strong showing during next week's holiday frame.

Sony's comedy "First Sunday" got off to a much stronger-than-expected start as it pulled in about $19 million. The potent debut gave star Ice Cube the third best opening mark of his career, trailing the two 'Barbershop' flicks. Sony execs expect this one to have a strong sophomore haul since next weekend is the MLK holiday session. The comedy's per-theater average of $8,585 from its 2,213 locations was easily the best of the top ten.

Fox Searchlight's "Juno" continues to impress at the box office as it took only a 12% dip in business. The film entered 523 more theaters and saw its total domestic haul climb to $71.3 million.

Disney's "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" is sitting on a domestic haul of $187.3 million. Fox's "Alvin & the Chipmunks" is just ahead with $187.7 million. WB's "I Am Legend" continues to pack theaters as it has now tallied $240.2 million. WB's "One Missed Call" has earned $20.6 million, while WB's "P.S. I Love You" continues to show impressive legs as it nears the $50 million mark.

Universal's "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" barely drew interest from moviegoers as it opened with a disappointing $4.4 million, earning a very soft average of $3,305 from its 1,337 locations.

Focus Features' "Atonement" rounds out the top ten as it passed the $25 million mark. This weekend's third new release, "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale", failed to ignite much interest from theater patrons as it pulled in about $3.3 million, giving it a per-theater average of only $2,001 from its 1,631 locations.

Next weekend will see three new films enter the marketplace. Paramount's "Cloverfield", Fox's "27 Dresses", and Overture Films' "Mad Money" will all hit theaters for the four-day Martin Luther King holiday session. The industry is expecting very robust business as both "Cloverfield" and "27 Dresses" will be entering more than 3,000 locations apiece. Next week will see "Michael Clayton" begin its awards season run, while "No Country for Old Men" finally goes into wide release as it enters about 1,500 theaters.

No pun intended, but many believe "Cloverfield" will have a monster showing next weekend, challenging for both the best January opening as well as the best MLK weekend opening marks. Look for both "27 Dresses" and "Mad Money" to earn solid showings as well next week.

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yep, another of those "wholesome, family films" that people say there are not enough of, but no one will actually go and see when they do appear.

Though choosing a title that admits your subject characters "Don't Do Anything" might not have been a smart move, either.

17. Greg Layton

Greg Layton Second Unit

Greg Layton

As far as I know, Veggietales reached the height of its popularity four or five years ago. I'm not surprised at all to see that it tanked.

18. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

The first Veggietales movie didn't do very well either -- $24 million or so, back when the show was at its height of popularity (such as it was). It wound up bankrupting the company, actually. Not surprised to see the sequel doing poorly, as I never saw advertising for it other than a few billboards. I might try to catch it on DVD, but the last few episodes of the series I watched didn't have the spark of the earlier installments. Or maybe I'm simply no longer 14 (hard to believe I saw the first video in the series 12 years ago).

So Michael Clayton is going back into theaters? I missed it last time!

19. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

Brandon
    I think it was a mistake for the second VeggieTales movie to be an "original" story instead of a well-known Bible tale. People who aren't fans have no real reason to go. Plus, having the phrase "Don't Do Anything" in the movie title does not imply a very involving plot.

I'll still see it because I liked the first movie, but I've got a lot of reservations going into it.

20. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Since you're our resident expert, Terry, I wanted your insights on something... I finally got around to watching the third Pirates of the Caribbean film the other day (it was on par with the second, I thought, meaning overlong if somewhat entertaining, but no match for the first one), and I was wondering about the overall assessment of the franchise.

Obviously the films were a huge success, from the surprise legs of the first to the massive performance of the second and the strong hold for the third... The worldwide box office total is $2.5 billion, I believe?

But I also read a lot about rumors that the sequels cost a LOT more than some numbers would have you believe, even well over the reported $250-$300 million budgets for each. How much did Disney really spend getting the latter two films into theaters on a short schedule?

In the end, just how profitable were they? Did they make money on theatrical gross alone? How much have DVD sales brought in total (roughly), which is incidentally a statistic I don't see as often as I'd like.