What's new

2008 at the Box Office (1 Viewer)

Pete-D

Screenwriter

If the movie about the same quality wise as BB, I find it hard to see how it doesn't topple $250 million.

The Batman franchise is much healthier now than it was in 2005 when everyone's last memory of the franchise was Batman & Robin. Now even the most ardent Nolan-Batman haters would have to say Batman Begins was a far better film than Batman & Robin (I mean ... c'mon).

Even taking the Joker element out of it, ticket prices will be higher in 2008, you have additional audiences who were introduced to Begins on DVD, and I think you will have IMAX screenings too.

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
I remember when BB came out it was right around the time Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes got together and the scientology thing. Wonder if people were turned off of BB because of that?

Real Name
Charles LaSalle
I agree with bill 100%. Like he said, the reason BB had legs is probably because the hardcore fans went to see it again and again.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
And these same hardcore fans bought multiple copies of a single DVD release that October??? Because it's sales were out of proportion with that theory. There are hardcore fans for almost everything, but NO summer film opened so soft and had such legs in years. So I guess only Batman has fans THAT hardcore :rolleyes

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
BATMAN BEGINS had great legs because it was an excellent movie with good word of mouth.

As far as how much TDK is gonna make, we're about due for another wave of Batmania. It happens every 20 years or so, and it's nearly time again. I wouldn't be surprised to see TDK being one of the top three films of the year, and I would only be mildly surprised if it ended up as number one.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm skeptical of TDK. i didn't like BB much (no big surprises, by the books, a bit boring). i just hope nolan instills some of his memento, prestige sense of surprises in TDK. BB seemed forced by the DC+WB to be an origin story.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Is there any hardcore fanbase that's more likely to buy the DVD after seeing it a buttload of times in theaters than the fanbase of something like Batman?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
1 fan can see a film 5 times...that's 5 ticket sales.

But unless the same fan buys 5 copies of the DVD...1 hardcore fan = 1 DVD sale. Not 5.

This is actually a pretty simple argument to understand. The DVD sales illustrate that the theatrical legs (superior to LOTR, Pirates, Star Wars) can't simply being attributed to just die hards seeing the film 20 times. People quite probably warmed to it before DVD release, based on word of mouth.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone actually have any figures relating to the DVD sales vs. the number of tickets sold?

Edit, this Hollywood Reporter article:

Warner tops DVD share in 'Incredible' '05

cites 6.15 million copies of "Batman Begins" by the end of 2005.

That is CERTAINLY not a step up from the box-office performance. That article pretty much sums up how the "Batman Begins" DVD sales were very much in-line with the theatrical performance. It was only the 10th best-selling DVD of the year:

#1: The Incredibles (17.4)
#2: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (10.4)
#3: Madagascar (10) (tie)
#3: Shark Tale (10) (tie)
#5: The Polar Express (8.1)
#6: Meet the Fockers (7.21)
#7: National Treasure (7.2)
#8: Cinderella (6.56)
#9: Ray (6.53)
#10: Batman Begins (6.15)

Based on Box Office Mojo's claim that the average ticket prices in 2005 were $6.40 you can estimate that about 32 million tickets were sold in the US, and I think the 32:6 tickets-to-DVD sales ratio actually supports my "die-hards seeing the movie repeatedly and buying the DVD" theory.

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
I'm more surprised that 8 of the top 9 didn't sell atleast twice as many as BB considering 5 of them are animated and have a much bigger market to sell to.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Also, BB on DVD was initially released in the middle of October of 2005, so only 10 weeks of sales account for that particular title's sales for that particular stat being bandied about as BB's appeal to only the "die-hards". It would be better to find out how many DVDs BB sold in 6-12 months, not just 2.5 months.

The Incredibles DVD sales were reported as being soft compared to other animated fare on DVD of years past. DVD sales have been softening in the past few years as discounting becomes prevalent, causing people to hold off buying DVD titles until they get discounted in weekly sales.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

"Batman Begins" was a financial success and I believe "The Dark Knight" will be a financial success, too.

I just think everything points to it being a much smaller success than you might think from looking online.

Based on internet posts it seems like "Batman Begins" is just unanimously-loved and that "The Dark Knight" is the most-anticipated movie of '08 but it's been proven time and time again that the internet isn't a reliable gauge of real-life interest in a movie, especially in a case where there's such an obvious overlap between this kind of movie-based internet activity and interest in the "Batman" character.

I'd be hard-pressed to deny that I'm a nerd so I'm not trying to be insulting when I say this but it's the truth, the internet is full of nerds and nerds luvs "Batman".

My basic point is this: who could honestly think "The Dark Knight" could gross as much or more than "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" when "Wedding Crashers" beat "Batman Begins" last time around?

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
What's really stupid is how these "nerds" think a movie will make $500 mil when they end up stealing the movie online rather than paying to see it on the big screen.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

But going by your logic, RotS should have done gangbusters on the DVD sales level, but its box office ticket/DVD sales ratio is 59.4/10.4 (5.71) while BB's is 32/6.15 (5.21). BB held its own w/r/t RotS considering the ticket-buying audience for each film in terms of DVD sales. Plus Star Wars has been a much more viable film franchise for those 7-10 years leading up to RotS (don't forget the re-release theatrically of the spruced up editions of Episode IV-VI, I didn't know anyone clamoring for more Batman films in the past decade before BB, especially not after the sour taste left by Batman and Robin). BB had to win back its audience through the quality of the product on the screen and word of mouth. At this point, it's earning more and more potential viewers of TDK through the marketing and the limited pedigree of BB for a good run in the summer of 2008. Like others have mentioned, TDK is positioned to have a good leggy run through the rest of the summer and some of the fall since the slate is devoid of blockbusters, time will tell if it succumbs to being a front-loaded success, or an enduring one in 2008.

Just my gut feeling, IJ&KOCS will be more of a front-loaded success, but not as leggy, not in today's movie-going climate. I can't say I have a strong premonition that TDK will out-gross IJ&KOCS, it probably won't, but it'll be closer than most movie box office prognosticator think it will, perhaps within $60 million (or 20%-25% of the winning BO total), which would be fine by me. But as a non-stockholder in either studios, it's all just good ol' fashioned box office chit-chat.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Well I'm convinced.

The Dark Knight will make be out of the theaters within a week, clearly the general audience has no interest in this character.

Bring back Shumacher. Maybe they can get Paris Hilton to play Poison Ivy next time out and Dane Cook as the Scarecrow. You know to really appeal to that teen demographic.

If the general audience would rather watch crap like The Mummy III ... really that's their loss as far as I'm concerned. Kudos to Warner Bros. for giving a director who has an actual vision a shot at this franchise rather than treating it like a cheap cash cow. I don't know if TDK will be as good as Batman Begins, but at least I get the sense here that there are people who care about this character and it's not being made by a committee of marketing execs.

Indiana Jones should be good, but really after The Phantom Menace, I'm not as enthusiastic that this is necessarily a guaranteed slam dunk either. The IJ fanbase is not nearly as rabid as the Star Wars fanbase, if it's not there up on the screen, that movie could fade very quickly too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks