2008 at the Box Office

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TerryRL, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

Guess that proves that the 'R' rating didn't hurt 'City' all that much after all... [​IMG]

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I'm shocked - I thought it'd be 100% women! [​IMG]

Are there any movies out there that skew so insanely heavily toward MEN? I don't know if I can think of anything that attracts a ridiculously high proportion of men ala the female percentage at SATC...

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    No, but there are tons of movies that skew 75-80% men. So one movie skewing 90% women is more than fair.

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Wow indeed. Great numbers for SaTC.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Or they could have made even more money, but given the title and inevitable bits of sex on display or discussed, it'd never get below rated R territory, and it would not have felt "right" watered down to get a PG-13 rating, given its 6 year run on pay cable TV. Plus the producers/et al knew that their audience was going to be women over 17 anyway.

6. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

For the single guys, it might be a good opportunity to go see SATC to meet some women. [​IMG]

~T

7. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Wow! You are a genius. I never thought of it that way. Now I might go and see it! [​IMG] (and I go to the movies 5-6 times a year only!) [​IMG]

8. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Friday Estimates

#1 "Sex and the City" $26.1 million
    #2 "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" $12.3 million ($183.1 million) 60% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #3 "The Strangers" $7.5 million
    #4 "Iron Man" $3.7 million ($266.4 million) 32% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #5 "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" $3.4 million ($106.0 million) 48% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #6 "What Happens in Vegas" $2.2 million ($61.4 million) 24% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #7 "Baby Mama" $715K ($54.6 million) 28% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #8 "Made of Honor" $635K ($41.6 million) 38% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #9 "Speed Racer" $500K ($38.9 million) 50% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #10 "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" $310K ($59.7 million) 38% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #11 "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay" $150K ($36.6 million) 46% Friday-to-Friday drop
    #12 "The Visitor" $128K ($4.9 million) 25% Friday-to-Friday drop

"Sex and the City" blew away industry expectations and earned the fourth biggest opening day start ever for an R rated movie, trailing "The Matrix Reloaded" ($37.5 million), "300" ($28.1 million), and 'The Passion' ($26.6 million). The film also earned the second best first-day take of the year (behind "Iron Man"), as well as the strongest opening day tally for a film headlined by a female cast. The film looks headed for a debut haul of between $65-$70 million.

Indy IV saw a Friday-to-Friday dip of nearly 60%, but expect the film to right the ship today and tomorrow and end up with a sophomore take in the neighborhood of $45-$50 million.

"The Strangers" got off to a much stronger start than anyone expected and is looking at opening in the area of $17-$20 million. "Iron Man" and 'Prince Caspian round out the top five.

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Caspian in its 3rd weekend coming in under Iron Man in its 5th weekend is simply bad news for the franchise. ~$10 million on its 3rd weekend for PC? LWW made twice that amount its 3rd weekend.

They should have never released it in May. I thought it might suffer for it, but this is a much more significant mistake than I think anyone anticipated. Unless it does indeed do better internationally than LWW to the tune of $600 million, I wouldn't even be shocked at this point to see Dawn Treader canceled altogether.

10. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

I doubt Indy hits $45-$50 mill this weekend but we'll see.

Good numbers for SatC, but not entirely shocking. It is as has been mentioned before as "Star Wars for women".

The May box office needed this one to open big after Capsian and Speed Racer underperformed.

Strong legs for Iron Man.

I think The Strangers might be the biggest surprise for me. Tracking for a $18-$20+ million opening weekend is not something I expected. That's pretty solid.

Caspian as I've said before can't hack it against actual competition.

11. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

The early Saturday estimates have "Sex and the City" enduring a Friday-to-Saturday dip of about 25%. The film looks to have earned $19.3 million, barely edging the $19.2 million performance of Indy IV. Indy enjoyed an impressive Friday-to-Saturday 57% increase in business. "The Strangers" took in nearly $8 million and looks to have locked down an opening weekend haul of more than $20 million.

12. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Then SATC will win the weekend, unless Indy outgrosses it by $16M on Sunday. It's still a good hold for Indy IV.

Just a very big opening for SATC.

13. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Rival studios are now reporting that SATC dropped more in the 30% range in its Friday-to-Saturday numbers (to $17.9 million), while the Sunday haul is expected to be $10.9 million. As some stated on Friday (in regards to SATC being really front-loaded), SATC will end the weekend at #1, but based largely on its Friday numbers. Indy IV won both Saturday ($19.9 million) and Sunday ($14.9 million) handily because of strong matinee shows (i.e. the family dollar).

14. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Weekend Estimates

#1 "Sex and the City" $55.7 million
    #2 "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" $46.0 million ($216.9 million) -54%
    #3 "The Strangers" $20.7 million
    #4 "Iron Man" $14.0 million ($276.6 million) -32%
    #5 "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" $13.0 million ($115.7 million) -43%
    #6 "What Happens in Vegas" $6.9 million ($66.1 million) -25%
    #7 "Baby Mama" $2.2 million ($56.1 million) -34%
    #8 "Speed Racer" $2.1 million ($40.6 million) -46%
    #9 "Made of Honor" $2.0 million ($43.0 million) -40%
    #10 "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" $1.0 million ($60.5 million) -41%
    #11 "The Visitor" $603K ($5.4 million) -17%
    #12 "Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantamo Bay" $475K ($37.0 million) -49%

This post-Memorial Day weekend put lots of smiles on the faces of execs as business was up a stellar 28% compared to both last year and this frame in '06. The top twelve films pulled in a phenomenal $164.8 million this weekend, making it the second best post Memorial Day weekend in history. It ranks behind this frame in 2004 (when the third 'Harry Potter' debuted) which earned a whopping $182.7 million.

New Line/WB's "Sex and the City" opening well above industry expectations and earned the fifth best R rated debut in history, coming in behind "The Matrix Reloaded" ($91.8 million), 'The Passion' ($83.8 million), "300" ($70.9 million), and "Hannibal" ($58.0 million). The film also earned the third best debut tally of the year behind Indy IV ($100.1 million) and "Iron Man" ($98.6 million). SATC's average of $16,968 from its 3,285 theaters was easily the best of the top ten.

WB expects the $65 million budgeted flick to eventually soar past the century mark, paving the way for a sequel sometime down the line.

Lucasfilm/Paramount's Indy IV fell off by 54% and earned $46 million during its sophomore frame. With nearly $217 million already in the bank, this one is headed for a final domestic mark north of the triple-century mark. There are so far two films headed for $300 million-plus domestic earnings and both of them were released by Paramount. The studio is have a very good summer thus far.

Rogue Pictures' "The Strangers" had a much stronger than expected showing as it pulled in close to $21 million. The film enjoyed a strong per-theater average of $8,393 from its 2,467 locations. With a budget of only $9 million, this one is going to be a very profitable hit for the studio.

Next weekend will see the month of June get underway with DreamWorks/Paramount's "Kung Fu Panda" and Sony's "You Don't Mess with the Zohan" invading theaters. Expect a tight battle for #1 with both films opening beyond the $30 million mark.

15. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    terry.. how much did the other indy movies do? I thought last crusade did 197 in 1989.. and temple did about 150 or so? not including the adjusted dollar. indy 4 is doing better then both?

Jacob

16. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Adjusting for inflation the previous Indiana Jones films made the following (according to boxofficemojo.com):

Raiders of the Lost Ark - $527 million initial release; another $79 million upon two further re-releases
    Temple of Doom - $368 million
    Last Crusade - $340 million

17. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

'Raiders' earned $242.4 million during its releases in 1981 and 1983.

'Temple of Doom' earned $179.9 million back in 1984.

'The Last Crusade' pulled in $197.1 million in 1989.

Indy IV will be the first of the series to top the $300 million mark, but it won't sell as many tickets as any of the previous three movies. Indy IV has so far sold about 31 million admissions. None of the three previous films sold less than 49 million tickets. Indy IV will end up selling in the area of 45 million admissions.

18. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

I doubt Sex and The City will have legs. It's obviously front loaded. I think it may inch past the century mark. Unless this really is the Star Wars for women. [​IMG]

19. TerryRL

TerryRL Producer

Adjusted to today's ticket prices, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" earned $649.0 million. 'Temple of Doom' pulled in $374.5 million, while 'The Last Crusade' would've tallied $348.0 million. Indy IV will top out in the area of $315-$325 million. Despite the major difference in ticket prices, Indy IV will prove to be about as successful as the last two sequels in terms of overall theater admissions sold.

20. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    thanks for the info box.

Jacob