What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

Not what I heard at all. Unless you are a huge Cowboys fan, Irvin comes off as an obnoxious, incessant, know-it-all. I've heard it reported that both Steve Young and Tom Jackson (remember him calling Irvin "retarded" on national t.v.?) couldn't stand the guy, and that they almost came to blows several times. Considering how annoying Irvin is, I'm not surprised.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
News:
Steelers cut Joey Porter(surprise to me)
Saints released WR Joe Horn
The Jags signed Fred Taylor to a 3 yr extension
Chargers resign Neal making him the highest paid FB. McBriar the punter makes more money :)
Mike Alstott is back with a 1 yr deal with Tampa.

Dre Bly for 2 players and 1 5th round pick? Wow. The Broncos gave up alot I thought.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Also, Dallas released Bledsoe. I'm sure that Shane and Chuck are very upset over that move. :D

Me, too. However, since Millen made the deal, there must be some catch. :laugh:

Actually, speculation after the trade is that this should set Detroit up perfectly to take Calvin Johnson or Russell with the #2 pick (whichever Oakland passes up), since they filled their OL and RB needs (and can pass on Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson now). So, the local sports radio personalities figure Detroit will sign free agent Kevin Curtis tomorrow, which will prevent them from taking Johnson after the Raiders take Russell, since the Lions would have Roy Williams, Mike Furrey and Curtis signed to long term deals at WR. Detroit would then be screwed at #2.

If that scenario does play out, then it will be further proof that Millen has no clue what he's doing.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
There is also rumor going around, and there will be plenty of those, that Arizona wants the #2 in exchange for swapping first round picks and throwing in their second. This would put the Lions in position to draft Gaines Adams and or Patrick Willis, both major needs.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Do we need further proof of that? That's like needing further proof that the sun rises and sets once a day.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Considering what the Giants gave up a couple of years ago to move from #4 to #1 to get Eli Manning, an additional 2nd round pick is not nearly enough for Arizona to move up to #2. NY gave up several picks, including another first rounder, in that deal. That would be a terrible deal for Detroit.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Hell will officially freeze if the Lions take yet another WR in the first round. Granted I think this guy will be the real deal.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Horn gone from the Saints is rather big. That said, they were fairly explosive during his injuries this year...Still, Horn is a HUGELY popular player here in Louisiana.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

Eli Manning had a higher trade value than anybody who will be left on the board when the 2007 #2 pick is made. I'd agree that the Cardinals would have to give up more than their first and second rounders to move up but not much more. Second and third round picks might be enough to make the trade. If the Lions have someone in their sights that could be had with either the #2 or #5 pick then they would absolutely make the swap. That way they could sign their first choice to a less expensive contract and the additional picks would be a very significant added bonus.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
If I had to bet real money, I'd say that if the Cards make a draft day trade, it will be to move down and not up. They're not in a position to sacrifice first day draft picks for any player, much less multiple first day picks. At #5 they'll either have their choice of their top rated defensive player, or one of the four blue chip offensive players (Russell, Johnson, Peterson, Thomas). Remember also that Leinart is a lefty, so it's the RT that will be protecting his blind side. Sliding down a few spots and grabbing someone like Levi Brown makes a lot more sense than giving up picks for Thomas. Especially since the last time the Cards took a LT at #2 they got burned with Leonard Davis.

Also, the best player in this draft looks like Calvin Johnson. Sucks for Detroit that if he's there they'll probably pass just because of Millen's previous follies.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I hate to say it, but Calvin Johnson is the real deal and the Lions will miss out on him. Joe Thomas would play RT for the Lions, Backus is the LT.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit

Yeah, he was all over the place, and very friendly. Friend of mine works for Mercedes (Benson's, aka The Enemy's Mercedes) and while he was out fixing a customer's broken down car, Horn just walked up to him and talked for 10 minutes or so. Great guy. But it was the right choice. Drew Brees played equally well with and without Horn.

Here's hoping that Craig Davis falls to us in the second round.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Word is that Denver is positioning itself to draft Adrian Peterson. Supposedly Shanahan is enamored with him.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Many draft experts think there are just two "franchise" players in this draft -- Russell and Johnson. You may be able to to put Peterson in that category, too, but he's being projected to go much lower.

According to the value chart that Brandon posted, though, Arizona's 1st and 2nd picks would just about equal Detroit's 1st rounder. I still wouldn't make the trade for that, though.

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

I don't think there will be a trade, but if there was, I think if would definitely favor Detroit. Neither team is even close to being "one player away", so getting the 37th overall pick just for moving down three spots seems like a no brainer. #2, or #5 and #37. I know which I'd want.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Pats sent Corey Dillon to the curb. He wanted it and Maroney is better anyway :)

Also it appears that Jake Plummer has told the Broncos he is axing a trade to the Buccs to retire.

Users who are viewing this thread