What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Wow, that is very sad news regarding Bill Walsh. I did not even know he was ill. He was truly one of the great coaches of all time. He may have had more influence on coaching than any other man during the Super Bowl era.

RIP.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
RIP: Bill Walsh, one of his last football appearances was at a Raiders minicamp watching practice and giving advice to Lane Kiffin in a meeting arranged at Kiffin's request by Walsh's friend Al Davis. I had known he had been sick since 2005 and he was at Raiders practice riding around in a golf-cart.

Others have talked about his influence, all the west-coast offense, and the Walsh family tree of coaches are pervasive.

I don't really want to talk about a classy man in the same post as an assy man but I'm not going to make a separate post so...Bet you can't guess what Pac-man's up to

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm sorry to hear about Bill Walsh. One of the legends of football.

But I come not to praise Caeser, but to bury someone else.

The federal prosecution has offered a plea bargain to Michael Vick: 6 years in the pen or 2 years quarterbacking the Raiders.

(Heard that at Chud.com by one of their funniest posters...I knew Casey would love it)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Very sad news indeed. Bill Walsh had a great influence in the game that we watch today.

I know that this is the NFL thread, but there isn't a current NCAA topic, but you guys should check out this kid that just declared he was going to Michigan after high school. He is an amazing running back and was ranked the number 1 back in the country for next year. This video is from his junior year I believe and yes I realize that it is just high school football, but it is Texas high school football, and that is almost college level in some areas. His acceleration is pretty amazing, not to mention his cutting ability. Worth a few minutes at least.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Vick would be safer in prison than he would be behind center in Oakland...or in the black hole, and some think they're 1 in the same.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

There's been a lot of talk on the Ann Arbor sports talk radio station about this kid for several weeks now. While, as a UofM fan, I'm delighted they landed him, I will curb my enthusiasm until I actually see him play in the Maize and Blue. After all, Drew Henson was supposed to be one of the greatest recruits ever coming out of Brighton High School to Michigan. As it turned out, he didn't even end up being the best player at his position on the team. That honor went to some guy named Brady. :) Meanwhile, Henson became a two-sport bust.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It looks like the Raiders are ready to sign a QB and it isn't Jamarcus Russell...and he also has a bad knee like the previously mentioned Lions draft pick Drew Stanton. (I almost typed Drew Henson)

One thing I can honestly say is that it is never boring being a Raiders fan. Often frustrating, you bet, sometimes enjoyable (not last season) definitely, but never boring.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Vick lost another sponsor(Rawlings).
The last 2 major name RB's from Texas have been studs. One was named AD and the other has committed to Oklahoma. Stud Texas based running backs are not a fluke.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's official, the Raiders have signed Culpepper. He was really out of options, since neither Jacksonville nor Atlanta showed any interest in him. The only other team in dire need of a QB is Minnesota, and there was no way Culpepper was going back there.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what his 8 criteria were...

1. It's not Detroit
2. It could be worse, It's not the XFL
3. I don't care if Offensive Line stands for how they play.
4. I get a chance to play even if my injury chances go up.
5. The CFL league teams turned me down.
6. NFL Europe was no longer an option.
7. The silver and black matches the bruises I'd get during my year of playing
8. Atleast 1 fan would cheer for me.

Ok I tried :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Shane, you get an A for Effort at least.

oOn the list of dumb things the Raiders have/could/will do, this is near the bottom, a 1-year deal whatever.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This was definitely not a bad signing by Oakland. However, this is a prime example of why a player shouldn't act as his own agent. It's difficult to believe that a good agent wouldn't have had a chance of getting Culpepper into a better situation, such as Atlanta, Jacksonville or Baltimore. He most likely will be gone from Oakland after this one year deal is done, since the Raiders future is obviously Russell at QB.

Nice list, Shane. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Bears agree with DT Darwin Walker 6 yrs 25 million.

Also it looks like Michael Strahan is going to hang them up. The Giants won't be the same without him or Tiki.

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris

How ironic they sign Culpepper after Moss leaves. Wow, sorry Casey, I feel for you, and this coming from someone who had to endure Testaverde and Bledsoe in their waning years.

Back to Vick, if he is found guilty or pleads out, I hope he is banned from the league.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Chris, you need not feel for me. I mean its not like the signing of Daunte Culpepper for a year will end up being that 1 thing that prevents Oakland from winning the Super Bowl. I look at it like this, if he fails, so what, its not like they were pegged to win the division or anything before and really after the Aaron Brooks era a 1-legged Culpepper with no arms would've been a more talented upgrade. Also if he fails, they're on the hook for $0 next season and if a virus wipes out all other AFC QB's and he goes to the pro bowl or something then they got that season out of him and he wins because he set himself up to get paid next offseason.

Regarding Scott's comment about players acting as their own agent, sure an agent could've gotten him a better deal in Atlanta or Jacksonville or Baltimore but it wouldn't have been a better deal in reality. Culpepper only wanted a 1-year deal, so really the agent could've only tried to talk him out of that request or gotten him to sign 1 of those Lavar Arrington deals that look big but in reality are one year deals. The agent is supposed to work for the client and if said client is making insistances on a 1-year deal there's not a whole lot the agent can do. But then again, the player who is his own agent has a fool for a client or something.

Speaking of Randy Moss seems that he injured his left hamstring in practice for New England.

In a non-Moss connected story, PFT said that Odell Thurman failed to report to his probation officer on 7/24 and that's a violation of said probation.

I happen to have gotten a "exclusive quote" from Thurman on what exactly happened.

Users who are viewing this thread