What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

That may be. However, I think there is almost a zero percent chance that the Lions will take Quinn at #2, and anyone else that would trade into that spot (Tampa, Atlanta) would not be doing so to get Quinn. If Cleveland wants Quinn, they can have him just by staying put.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well we all thought Reggie Bush was the automatic #1 pick and look what happened.

Until the day before the draft, it's all speculation. That's of course why I like the NFL draft so much :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I do agree that Vick is vastly overrated. However, I'm not sure how you can make any determination on Schaub's ability -- he has not played enough to look "polished". His career stats:

Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |
+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
| 2004 atl | 6 | 33 70 47.1 330 4.7 1 4 | 8 26 0 |
| 2005 atl | 16 | 33 64 51.6 495 7.7 4 0 | 9 76 0 |
| 2006 atl | 16 | 18 27 66.7 208 7.7 1 2 | 7 21 0 |
+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
| TOTAL | 38 | 84 161 52.2 1033 6.4 6 6 | 24 123 0 |

This reminds me of Scott Mitchell when the Lions first acquired him. Mitchell was the hot free agent based off filling in for an injured Dan Marino for a few games, and got a big contract based on that minimal work.

Schaub may turn out to be a decent NFL QB, but Houston still vastly overpaid for him. I do not see how Atlanta could turn down that offer.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Schaub signs a 6 yr 48 million dollar contract ... apparently the Texans felt he was worth the jack. Only 7 of it's guaranteed and after 3 yrs they have a $10 option bonus which works like it did for David Carr.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Two things about your post Shane. Detroit will never ever sign David Carr. There are just so many reasons why not. Second, there are a ton of rumors around here about Al Wilson coming to Detroit for some picks. The Lions really like Patrick Willis in the draft, but if they can get Wilson, that gives them a solid veteran player in the middle that they don't have to worry about drafting.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Adding to what Brandon said, PFT says that a trade nearly went down that would've seen Denver move up to #2 in the draft and in exchange the Lions would get a package including Al Wilson.

As for David Carr's next stop it will be interesting. What can Houston get for a guy when teams know he's not really wanted around there? The Texans better hope they can get more than one team to show interest. Plus, let us not forget that Trent Green is on the market and talks have had him linked to Miami. That would probably end Daunte Culpepper's time in Miami thus adding to the QB cycle.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Carr to Oakland is how I feel. Then they can address with their draft needs O-Line and likely Calvin Johnson. I admit the situation in Oakland would not be any better than what it was in Houston.

Secondly why wouldn't Carr sign with Detroit?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

It's more a matter of Detroit not wanting Carr. They have shown no interest in adding a QB this offseason, either via free agency, trade, or the draft. While I do not agree with the decision, they are content to play Kitna with McCown as a backup. They also just rid themselves of a former high first round draft pick QB who was a bust, so I cannot see them going down that road again this soon by trading for Carr.

I think the most likely landing spots for Carr are either Oakland or Minnesota. Miami seems focused on Trent Green, and Cleveland seems to be looking towards the draft to solve their QB issues. I've heard the expected price will be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. That's pretty cheap.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Why? Daman Huard is going to be the starter there in all likelyhood and they already have a guy whom they are hoping to build the future around on the roster.

It doesn't matter though because now only David Carr will determine what is best for David Carr as he and Domanick Davis were released outright by Houston. So last year the Texans passed on Bush and Young because they said they had Carr and Davis and now they are both gone. I wonder if you were to drive around Houston today if you wouldn't see some Texans fans out screaming from the tops of tall buildings?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Giants not going to trade for Al Wilson

The Cardinals signed fullback Terrelle Smith to a 2-year contract that is basically a 1-year prove it type deal.

The Cowboys signed former Seahawks safety Ken Hamlin to a 1-year $2.5 million contract.

We could see video from the Porter-Jones fight this past weekend according to Bengals.com

As for where David Carr will end up, it will not be Minnesota. The Vikings coach is not a fan of Carr.

He's going to end up in Oakland I suspect and I think he'll feel like he never left Houston unless things change. But one thing is I don't believe Lane Kiffin will be asking his QB to make 7-step drops.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

That's why I think Carr would be good for Kansas City. Carr is still young, and isn't Huard like getting on in years?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Huard is the reason Trent Green is likely a goner, and while he is 33 years old, as Brandon said Brodie Croyle is the future of the Chiefs. No room for Carr as he's not the present answer for them nor is he the man they'd want to build a future around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks